The MT-07 Forum

What is your Holy Grail motorcycle?

Guest 2wheeler

Guest 2wheeler

So what is a Holy Grail motorcycle... it's that bike that you would immediately have bought if you won that 1.5 billion dollar lottery! That one bike where if money was no object, you must have. That one bike where you would scour the earth to make that bike your own.

Having said that, my Holy Grail bike is a simple one - a 1973 Yamaha LT3 100MX (see my avatar). I have lusted after that bike since 1973. I couldn't afford it as a kid, and my parents were sure as hell not going to buy it for me. They did let me have a 1972 Yamaha LT2 Enduro which only made my desire for its badass evil twin all the more real.

Fast forward several decades, and now it is near impossible to find one in pristine condition, or for that matter at all. I've been into vintage dirt bikes for over a decade now with a bunch of AHRMA racing under my belt. This by its nature means hours and hours of perusing ebay and Craigslist for bike and parts. I have never seen my Holy Grail bike. Obviously you can find pics on the web, and I have the original Dirt Bike magazine with the first review of that bike which started this decades long love affair. I've also been to many bike shows, but have never even seen this bike live.

By my story, you get a good idea what a Holy Grail bike is, so.....  What is your Holy Grail motorcycle?

• Like 1

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

I don't have one motorcycle but a list:
My First Bike (2015 Yamaha FZ-07)
Any Ducati SS 900
2010 Buell Xb9r or Xb12r
2015 Yamaha WR250R
2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R
Any two Stroke road bike

[EDIT]
Need to Add EBR 1190RX

Part of me just wants to preserver Buell/EBR for future generations.

• Like 1

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

• Premium Member

I don't have a "holy grail" bike, but the one I am currently lusting after is the Zero FX (don't judge me!)

2015-zero-fx-is-the-off-road-electric-machine-videophoto-gallery_2.jpg

• Like 4

I don't have a "holy grail" bike, but the one I am currently lusting after is the Zero FX (don't judge me!) 

2015-zero-fx-is-the-off-road-electric-machine-videophoto-gallery_2.jpg

I test rode one of these last year and love that bike! Only downfall is the limited range before you run out of power.

• Premium Member

[attachment id=1290" thumbnail="1]

• Like 2

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

A Yamaha powered Ducati. Never going to happen, but at 1.5 Billion I could make whoever do whatever I wanted.

750 or there about cc's. Ducati monster styling. Yamaha reliability. Making around 100hp, 12,500 rpm. Would be a fun and sweet looking motorcycle.

If I had to choose something, I rather enjoy the Ducati Monster 821. Would have bought one, but I didn't feel like owning a bike where the dealer is 300kms from my city.

• Like 1

This could hold me over for a while:

081814-2015-midual-type-1-01.jpg

• Like 3

“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
— Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values)

08/09 Yamaha R6 Raven. MMMM...MMMM...MMMM
I'm getting the sportbike fever again lol.

-08/09 had the most stock power (not that i'd be able to use it on streets)
-Body design hasn't changed since 06, rightfully so, its so sexy
-Tons of aftermarket parts available for it

006-Copy.jpg

• Like 2

• Global Moderator
http://www.seriouswheels.com/pqr/Porsche-911-Trike-Troubled-Waters-by-Phoenix-Trike-Works-Rear-Angle-2-1280x960.htm

Local company that used to make v6 & v8 powered trikes... went out of business last year
test rode one about 5 years ago... it was a ls5 454 powered 18ft trike
odd feeling going from a harley sportster to a trike that sits 3in off the ground but the power was insane
I want one just for the looks and the power... but its also a nice plush low-slung ride
currently sitting around 50k for a like-new model

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• 1 month later...

I spotted her before the license, had her in my cross eyes so the fz07 red is my sweetheart! I got the pick of the litter! bbb63743ad23b8324011a16501c203ba.jpg

• Like 1

I don't have a holy grail bike but a few that would definitely be in my billionaire collection. I'm fond of the oldies but goodies.

http://mcqueenonline.com/thegreatescapetriumph.htm

[attachment id=1430" thumbnail="1]For nostalgic reasons mostly. The TT Special 650 Triumph

[attachment id=1431" thumbnail="1] [attachment id=1436" thumbnail="1]The WWII BMW R75 & sidecar combo.

[attachment id=1433" thumbnail="1] The WWII Kettenkrad.

http://olive-drab.com/idphoto/id_photos_kettenkrad.php

I almost forgot, after reading in Cycle World Magazine back in 85' that Yamaha's VMAX was being challenged by Kawasaki's Eliminator and blew the paint off the Eliminator I've loved the VMAX so for me it's a must have. An original 85' and a 2016 model. Also since I've always loved 2-strokes if I had to pick one I guess it would be an Yamaha RZ500. (V4 2-stroke love)

• Like 1

Beemer

• Premium Member
This could hold me over for a while: 
081814-2015-midual-type-1-01.jpg

Great looking bike. Their pretentious website though....I just couldnt do it.  SMH  
  • Like 1

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Premium Member

I think i would go with the early 90's vfr 400. I always thought after having an 82 700 f2 that those 400's would be the perfect combo of power and handling. And that single sided arm is tops.

• Like 1

87' Honda VFR 700 F2 (sold)
03' Honda CBR F4I (donated)
05' Yamaha R1 (sold)
15' FZ-o7