The MT-07 Forum

Tires probably still safe to ride?

biggaudi

• Premium Member

So my girlfriend bought me some saddlebags for Christmas. I threw them on the bike per the instructions and did my thing. Rode to the grocery store and back (about a mile both ways). Come home to see that the weight of the groceries had pulled the bags into the rear wheel and shredded them up. Super sad.

The wheel on the outer portion looks scuffed up and had very thin (string cheese like) bits coming off at some parts. Wasn't sure necessarily if that was the tire or bits of the bags. cff079b2fe8271e5d81c4ec8de7bd3b1.jpgef455eef2bc31447d7bf53391422f29d.jpg

What do you guys think? The tires only have 1200 miles on them and I've seen more rubber come off from burnouts so I figured it would be OK, but I'm still a newb and seeking guidance for safety.

Agreed.

The tire are fine, just ride/wipe that crap off of them.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

Gotta get rid of those chicken strips somehow!  :)
Be gentle, Ma'am...its one of those blue/gray ones....they don't handle as well as the RED.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

• Premium Member

Haha! I'm a heavier guy! I might tip over! But yeah, I'll work on it when the weather starts to comply. Thanks guys, you put my mind at ease.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

As a tire design engineer I say they look good. It doesn't appear to be any deep gouges or anything like that. Just take it easy as you re scuff them in.

It's the gouges deeper than the grooves in the tread or in the sidewall of the tire that is the most dangerous. I almost always recommend replacement when they get that deep.

twowheeladdict

I'll just add the one thing not mentioned here. Get some saddlebag supports and call yourself lucky that the bags didn't jam up in the wheel and cause a crash.

2015 FZ-07

• Premium Member
I'll just add the one thing not mentioned here. Get some saddlebag supports and call yourself lucky that the bags didn't jam up in the wheel and cause a crash.
Agreed on all accounts. Any specific supports in mind or just go with the Yamaha OEM?

twowheeladdict
Agreed on all accounts. Any specific supports in mind or just go with the Yamaha OEM?
Since I am new to the bike I don't have a recommendation one way or the other.  Even some homemade supports would be better than nothing. I did see that Givi makes some type of soft bag support. I used their soft bag support for the Ninja 650 before I went to hard bags. 

2015 FZ-07

Archived