The MT-07 Forum

Bike lurches and stalls when shifting from Neutral to 1st

conejo

Yesterday I changed oil and installed CRG Shorty levers. Now when I start the bike in neutral, pull the clutch lever and shift to 1st it lurches and stalls. I've tried adjusting the clutch cable, but it doesn't make any difference. This morning I reinstalled the stock clutch lever, and it's doing the same thing. 

Any ideas?

• Premium Member

Make sure the cable is working might have to lube it up or it might be pinched somewhere when you did the install of the levers. sound like the clutch isn't releasing to me.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

Mine did the same thing after setting my shorties to where I wanted them (further in) so I had to go to the right side of the bike and adjust the clutch cable slack from there. I loosened the adjusting screws on the right side and set the lever (says UP on it) on the left side so that it was all the way back, toward the rear tire. That took the slack out and it worked fine after that. Let me know how it goes after trying that and good luck!

[attachment id=1281" thumbnail="1][attachment id=1282" thumbnail="1]

Beemer

• Premium Member

I adjusted mine right from the shop mine was out too far for my liking

Make sure the cable is working might have to lube it up or it might be pinched somewhere when you did the install of the levers. sound like the clutch isn't releasing to me.

Sticking cable would make the clutch slip and the clutch pull to be stiff rather than stalling the bike. Probably has too much slack in the cable resulting in not enough pull to disengage the clutch.

Rechecked the oil level, it was a bit low so I added some more.
Put the bike in 1st and rocked it back and forth, then pulled the clutch and moved it back and forth some again.
Then tested shifting from N to 1st WITH THE SIDESTAND UP (I wasn't doing that before) and it worked fine.

I reinstalled the CRG lever and it worked just fine again. One of the 3 things did the trick, but I'm not sure which one it was.

I used this video for setting the clutch lever freeplay:

That clutch lever looks surprisingly familiar :-)

Rechecked the oil level, it was a bit low so I added some more. Put the bike in 1st and rocked it back and forth, then pulled the clutch and moved it back and forth some again.
Then tested shifting from N to 1st WITH THE SIDESTAND UP (I wasn't doing that before) and it worked fine.

I reinstalled the CRG lever and it worked just fine again. One of the 3 things did the trick, but I'm not sure which one it was.

I used this video for setting the clutch lever freeplay:
That clutch lever looks surprisingly familiar :-)

You have now discovered the ignition interlock on the side stand lol the "lurching" u were feeling was the drag from the oil on the clutch which u released by moving it back and forth. This is all normal.

• Premium Member

glad to hear it

So it was all because you had the kickstand down lol (rofl)

• Premium Member
Sticking cable would make the clutch slip and the clutch pull to be stiff rather than stalling the bike. Probably has too much slack in the cable resulting in not enough pull to disengage the clutch.
Yep unless its so stuck its not working ... 

This only works from cold as the oil is thicker,
Start engine pull clutch in, give it a little sharp rev
then as it settles back to tick over having kept the clutch
pulled in all the time engage first, more often than not it
will engage with only a slight click.

Archived