The MT-07 Forum

Post-crash questions

fflier9

So I connected with the front side of a teal Mustang in heavy traffic, causing a fairly dramatic highside. I'm fine, thanks to my gear, but I have a few questions I was hoping someone could help me with.

First, when I was laying on the ground getting looked at by medics, I remember looking over at my bike (a fellow biker stopped and picked it up, putting the stand down) and there was what looked like flecks of oil on the ground under the oil filter. There were also flecks of dark moisture (oil?) surrounding the drain plug and on the side of the coolant reservoir.

I've been riding the bike, about 50 miles since the incident, and it hasn't leaked a drop as far as I can tell. No fluid levels are falling and there's no more moisture visible on the bike.

Can being tipped over cause a temporary leak from somewhere??? Should I be worried?

Second, the forks are badly twisted to the right. The handlebars are not bent this time, they are in line with the upper tree, but when the bike is tracking straight they are at a 15-20 degree angle. I do not beleive the forks are bent (i hope)...but how can i realign them?
Is it as simple as loosening the two nuts on either fork on thr lower tree and the axle and pushing them straight??? Do I need to get the front tire off the ground to accomplish this??

Thanks everyone.

• Premium Member

I don't have any answers for your questions -- just want to wish you luck and say I'm glad to hear you are OK.

It is likely that your forks are just twisted in the triple trees. Someone correct me if i am wrong but i think you can loosen the triple trees. Then put your wheel up against a curb or have someone hold it. Then rotate your bars to align them with the wheels.

That's what i thought too, since it was not a head on impact and the side of my body took most of thr blow.
But which ones would i loosen? From the videos I have watched, if I loosen the upper triple tree, the bike will slide down the fork tubes and crash onto the ground...

You are correct, if you loosen both the upper and lower triples at the same time, the bike with slide down the forks. So if your forks have not moved up or down in your upper triples you can just loosen the lowers.

• Global Moderator

Just let the bike run and look for leaks... shouldnt be any major concerns

Also glad.to hear youre ok

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Thanks.

Also, I know this is a long shot, but if anyone has upgraded to aftermarket rearsets and has an OEM shift lever they would sell inexpensively, please drop me a line. The local shop wants $60 for one and they aren't much cheaper online after shipping. I can barely shift the bike...low on cash.

I'll try to fix the alignment tomorrow, thanks everyone for your input

• Global Moderator
Thanks. 
Also, I know this is a long shot, but if anyone has upgraded to aftermarket rearsets and has an OEM shift lever they would sell inexpensively, please drop me a line. The local shop wants $60 for one and they aren't much cheaper online after shipping. I can barely shift the bike...low on cash.

You might want to put a "want to buy" list in the parts for sale section too. More people should see it that way. I know there are some guys who have swapped out their rear sets so there should be someone who has a shift lever lying around. Good luck. 

That's what i thought too, since it was not a head on impact and the side of my body took most of thr blow. But which ones would i loosen? From the videos I have watched, if I loosen the upper triple tree, the bike will slide down the fork tubes and crash onto the ground...
If you look closely at the top of the triple tree, you can see a center clamp bolt that is used to align the wheel with the handlebars. This is the only bolt you want to loosen. 

• Premium Member
Thanks. 

You can get a set of shorty levers for like 30 bucks off http://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Motorcycle-Racing-Adjustable-Clutch/dp/B00E59VMVS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1453055143&sr=8-3&keywords=fz-07+shorty+levers not sure what parts you need for the rear set but I'm guessing you could order most of it for cheep.  http://www.yamahapartsnation.com/oemparts/a/yam/53a99b17f8700220a44158a9/stand-footrest
I know its not free but its not that much either IMO

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

Sorry to hear about your crash, I also highsided due to some oil on the road 2 weeks ago. It sucks but worry about yourself first, and hopefully the damage to your bike was minor. If you need parts, partzilla had some reduced pricing on some of 2015 stuff.

Archived