The MT-07 Forum

Action Camera. Yes or No?

sguerrero

Do you have an action camara installed?
Did you have a hard time installing it in the FZ07? Or Do you wear it on your helmet?

I'm not into vblogs, so was wondering if you recommend to spend $300-$500 on it.

98% of my time on my FZ07 is daily commute, same streets everyday.

What benefits can you get from it?

• Premium Member

I don't -- have been thinking about it, though.

Personally I think motovlogs are overdone -- who really wants to hear me blather on about anything, really?

I guess a lot of people get them to have as "insurance" in case they get in a crash. It might record someone else doing something stupid and causing the crash.

As for mounting, most cameras don't handle vibration well at all, so that is why people mount them to their helmets.

GoPro makes this little cube you can get for only $200 called the Hero 4 Session that looks pretty nifty, and takes up less space than a regular GoPro. Also Sony makes an action cam that does good image stabilization and has a good microphone, if you're into that.

• Premium Member

I have a GoPro, and I have a helmet mount. I hardly ever use it. Like so102 mentioned, I just don't think my riding is so interesting that I need to video all of them, because, like you, most of my riding is daily commute and... it's kind of a distraction. That being said, I do put the camera on occasionally, if I'm going to do a scenic ride somewhere I don't often go. But if the choice was "always" vs "never", I'd choose never.
(I got the GoPro as a gift, and probably would not have bought one on my own).

Why can't left turners see us?

I'm like you, not into vlogging. Who wants to hear me breathing and snorting, cussing your average dip-Shet into my mic but I did (for insurance purposes) get an older GoPro Hero for $130 at Target but similar cameras can be had for much cheaper. I saw an imitation GoPro on Amazon that was almost identical and had good reviews for right at $60. I have a full face chin mount for mine and I'm so used to it being there I usually don't even realize it's there so I'm not feeling weird when I ride. I don't like the view from on top of or the side of a helmet and the cam sticks out like a sore thumb in those mounting positions. I capture some Gump like cager's or something cool/interesting once in awhile w/o voice and put it on the web for all to see but that's about it. At the end of my rides it's usually erase everything and recharge for next ride. $60 could save you thousands, even on a daily commute, so I highly recommend a helmet cam.

Beemer

• Premium Member

I may have an inexpensive solution for you guys wanting to try an action cam.

I'm gonna be selling my Sony AS200V, complete with wall charger, 2 extra batteries, 64 gig EXTREME SD card, and all factory mounts. Was over $300 new, but with the little GoPro session cube selling for $200 now, I'm pricing my set up at $175 with free shipping. Video quality is better than the GoPro session cube, and the GoPro session doesn't have a replaceable battery.

I only used it once, and while it was very good, I already have a camera solution for track days and such and really have no need for the Sony.

It would make a great helmet cam because of the form factor.  It's extremely small and slim...very narrow so would work great on a helmet unlike the bulkiness of the GoPro's...

I'll make a for sale thread for it soon and put up some pics, but just wanted to give you guys a heads up. If anyone is interested before I make the post, just PM me :)

- Paulie

Took just a minute to find it but here it is. Not claiming it's the best camera, just a cheap camera that records well enough for insurance purposes and maybe more @1080p and 30 fps. It's actually better than mine, I didn't get all the stuff that comes with it. Be sure and read the reviews if you do check it out, they're usually helpful.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010LSAYMY?keywords=video%20camera&qid=1452958683&ref_=sr_1_7&s=photo&sr=1-7

Oops, just noticed. Sorry pgeldz, not trying to c. block you. Good luck with your sale, it sounds like an extremely nice video camera!

Beemer

I use the GoPro session on a helmet mount, also have a ram mount for it that's bolted to the handle bars- vibration is not an issue. I use it 90% of the time just incase something happens, there's a lot of crazy drivers in California.

• Premium Member

I got a mobius for Christmas that I haven't setup yet. Its not that expensive. I got it primarily to record my commutes for legal defense.

Everything went braap.

I have a Drift Stealth 2 and have it mounted to the side of my helmet, I find it really good, its quite small aswell so fits well to the helmet

Many many choices for helmet mounted cameras. Most of them have now exceptional picture qualities. Good for vloging.
As for motorcycle specific dashcams, their is sadly not much choices.
A few riders have home made solutions, but nothing that really works.
Only one manufacturer makes one, and it is a very good one.
It is waterproof, loop recording, it isn't too conspicuous, power on when bike starts and off when bike is off. Made specifically for bikes.
Price is $179 for the wifi model, the "Biker Pro", which is certainly the one to have (Biker Mate is $150).

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YBAQBW6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=21I2QA0JMVXRL&coliid=I230ZRS8RJU5N1

I use a Sena 10c as a dashcam and I think it's perfect. It's connected to a battery pack inside my inner jacket pocket and it never runs out of battery. The reason I think the 10c is perfect as a dashcam is because of "video tagging" mode, which constantly records video but doesn't save any of the footage, unless I press a button to "tag" the moment. It then creates 3 one minute videos surrounding the event and saves it. The only con of the 10c is that it can't record in 1080p@60fps, only 720p@30fps, 720p@60fps, or 1080p@30fps. Also if I want to view my recorded videos, I need to connect the sd card to a computer.

• Premium Member

Here is another option....this is suppposed to start shipping this summer. Amazing list of features.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/fusar-mohawk-make-any-helmet-smart#/

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Premium Member
I have a GoPro, and I have a helmet mount. I hardly ever use it. Like so102 mentioned, I just don't think my riding is so interesting that I need to video all of them, because, like you, most of my riding is daily commute and... it's kind of a distraction. That being said, I do put the camera on occasionally, if I'm going to do a scenic ride somewhere I don't often go. But if the choice was "always" vs "never", I'd choose never. (I got the GoPro as a gift, and probably would not have bought one on my own).

I was looking at Gopro but it doesnt really offer anything for that kind of money. I'm kind of leaning towards the same sentiment as you, video for long scenic trips, at best. I might get the 'Fusar' device, less for the camera and more for it's impressive list of other features though. Comms when riding with the wife so she can still fuss at me, music, navigation, crash detection etc.  I suppose we'll just see what our Mighty Canadian dollar says later this year.  I dunno.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Global Moderator
I got a mobius for Christmas that I haven't setup yet. Its not that expensive. I got it primarily to record my commutes for legal defense.
I too have the mobius
use it on every trip out for stupid driver defense

My brother in law had a go-pro when he had his gsxr, sold it when he sold the bike but still had a bunch of mounts and gave those to me... in there was a regular 1/4-20 thread camera tripod adapter

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

I might get the 'Fusar' device, less for the camera and more for it's impressive list of other features though. Comms when riding with the wife so she can still fuss at me, music, navigation, crash detection etc.  I suppose we'll just see what our Mighty Canadian dollar says later this year.  I dunno.
All hail the Canadian dollar. After checking it out @mrpuss, I'm really diggin' it. Automatic crash logging is cool feature 
http://www.gizmag.com/fusar-mohawk-helmet-mountable-camera-sensors/40476/

• Premium Member
I might get the 'Fusar' device, less for the camera and more for it's impressive list of other features though. Comms when riding with the wife so she can still fuss at me, music, navigation, crash detection etc.  I suppose we'll just see what our Mighty Canadian dollar says later this year.  I dunno.
All hail the Canadian dollar. After checking it out @mrpuss , I'm really diggin' it. Automatic crash logging is cool feature 

Yeah! IMO its the best all in one so far. The cats designing it have some solid credentials which is a plus.  PS- thanks for the info on your battery switch mod, it's a really great idea! 

All hail the Canadian dollar. After checking it out @mrpuss , I'm really diggin' it. Automatic crash logging is cool feature 

Yeah! IMO its the best all in one so far. The cats designing it have some solid credentials which is a plus.  PS- thanks for the info on your battery switch mod, it's a really great idea! 

If this camera does what it says it does...wow. I'll wait a few months an buy it. 

I bought a Drift HD Ghost last July and have been using that as a dashcam mounted on the left side of my helmet, above the Sena 10. It looks more bulky than it really is because of it hanging off the helmet.

I currently use it in 960p@50fps as it its a nice balance between resolution and frame rate. The other (useful) modes are 1080p@30fps or 720p@60fps. It has video tagging as well, but I prefer to just record everything. The included remote is very useful and I keep it mounted on top of the brake reservoir for easy use. I can also take pictures while recording by using the remote. It only takes an extra 10 seconds to start it up and press record so its no big issue for me.

Here are some pics: http://imgur.com/a/QfZVY

That FUSAR helmet cam looks cool though! As always, I'll wait until people review it to give it a real thought.

• Premium Member
Here is another option....this is suppposed to start shipping this summer. Amazing list of features. [indiegogo url=https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/fusar-mohawk-make-any-helmet-smart]
#/
I have ordered one of those to go with my helmet.  These are for my bike:  www.innovv.com  (look at the K1)

Anyone tried them before?

• Premium Member
Here is another option....this is suppposed to start shipping this summer. Amazing list of features. [indiegogo url=https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/fusar-mohawk-make-any-helmet-smart]

#/
I have ordered one of those to go with my helmet.  These are for my bike:  www.innovv.com  (look at the K1)

Anyone tried them before?

I was on the fence on the Innovv k1 and after reading everything I could find, reviews and forums, I just wasnt convinced to spend my dough on it. I dont know anyone personally who owns this system. (I also have a very heavy bias against unregulated china products, so there's that.) Anyway here was one of the reviews for the K1:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-video-camera-reviews/innovv-k1-review/

This is my set up. Love it. It's not a big box on the side of the helmet. One big button on and off on the back. Easy to use with gloves. I use it for commute just incase something happens. But I have been posting vids up on YouTube of the crazy stuff I see. You can look up the videos under "caliesv". Kinda corny vids but friends and family enjoy them lol (my mom says I'm cool)
Here's a link to the last video

dfe189b35d18830ad0f3bf7301cc582d.jpg24bbba18aabb062fc2f7cd3b5b0f6ffa.jpg526ccfe5962efa4de2062c01d04b5586.jpg8278714c77ca0260156836f57b334071.jpgef108bdac181f44812bf9b5a7d83df90.jpg

Why would he store all those videos on his memory card... They should of been uploaded to YouTube immediately! You don't get any cool points if no one sees them!
Anyways, I'm a strong believer in taking ownership of your actions. It's not the cameras fault he's in jail lol

Quite a few have come unstuck by putting there misdeeds on U-tube in the UK at least, maybe it dont happen in the US.
what I was trying to get across was just be careful what you post or leave on the card.

Archived