The MT-07 Forum

Magnetic tank bag purcharsed ...

croustibat

Hello !

During the Back friday, I bought a Nelson-Rigg CL-2020 tank bag which is ... magnetic.

I realized afterwards that the FZ07 tank is not made of metal, or at least, the parts where the magnets go will probably be made of plastic ...

Maybe, the 2 side magnets would be enough though ...

Since I live in Canada, the bike is at the dealership, hence I couldn't try the tank bag yet ...

I'll see if I can get the strap version by sending back the one I have and I don't think it will be possible ...

So, does anyone have any advices to manage to use this magnetic tank bag ?
I read about tank ring but I'm not sure it will be usable with this tank bag.

Thanks !

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

You could try to JB weld magnets inside the side panels. Some members here said it worked for them.

Illegitimi non carborundum

You mean add more magnets in the side panels ?

Take the plastic tank cover off and glue some really strong magnets in the right location. Make sure u get the magnet poles right. Never tried it but it might work, that bag does look kinda big though.

Take the plastic tank cover off and glue some really strong magnets in the right location. Make sure u get the magnet poles right. Never tried it but it might work, that bag does look kinda big though.
Do you mean removing the plastic part that starts from the tank opening to the point close to the seat ? If you remove this, then there is no plastic left no ? How do you do that ?

• Global Moderator
Do you mean removing the plastic part that starts from the tank opening to the point close to the seat ? If you remove this, then there is no plastic left no ? How do you do that ?

He means remove the plastic parts that covers the tank, glue magnets to the back of them and reattach the plastics. If the magnets are in the right location the tank bag will probably hold okay. Let us know how it goes if you do this. 

You could test a flat piece of metal as well before you set it permanently and if that works you don't need a magnet. 

Beemer

I have tried to place magnets under the plastic tank, but failed. For it to work, you will need some strong magnets.
The 2 issues I have encountered were.
1) large enough magnets to magnetize the top side of the tank are too big to fit the space between the real tank and the fake plastic tank.
2) Those large magnets need to be curved to follow the shape of the plastic tank or they won't be close enough.
As stated above, be very much aware of the magnets orientations.
Please come back with any results of your test (fail or succeed).
Good luck

You could test a flat piece of metal as well before you set it permanently and if that works you don't need a magnet. 
I tried this one, but the plastic "fake" tank is too thick to work, but nice suggestion. 

pineappleunderthesea

You would likely need to strap it down, just like the pic in this link: https://www.nelsonrigg.com/luggage/cl-series/gps-sport-tank-bag-detail.html

Not sure if this bag came with straps, though. I had a tank bag with straps, you had to take off the seat to find an anchor point, so you lose a lot of the convenience of an on/off magnetic bag. So I never use the bag....

pineappleunderthesea
There are 2 versions, i have the magnetic one that does not have straps, hence my questions unfortunately ...
Ah, OK.  My tank bag was magnetic AND came with straps, so best of both worlds. If you can't return the bag, maybe you can sew straps yourself?  But it's beginning to be a lot of work...!

Archived