The MT-07 Forum

Worried - Getting Use to my FZ

Guest 2wheeler

Guest 2wheeler

OK, so I've had this bike 3 months now, and have been riding pretty steady putting 1200 miles on it. Truth be known, for the first 600 miles this bike scared me everytime I rode it. Between the torque in 1st - 3rd gear (especially 1st and 2nd gear), and the engine breaking, it was pretty freaking intimidating. This coming from a long history of riding vintage 250cc MX bikes up to the present day - go figure.

Well, sometime after my break-in oil change, something clicked in my brain where not only wasn't it scary, it was starting to feel as though it didn't have enough power. That's why I started off with "Worried", because that mindset could really get me into trouble. The FZ has a lot of power especially in context of its weight and power delivery. I'm finding myself inching closer to doing things like serious drag starts, as well as getting more aggressive in corners. Fortunately, I have never been a big wheelie guy, but if you speed shift from 1st to 2nd, that front is going to immediately get very light.

The blessing/curse is that damn bike does bring out the devil. I read that new exhaust/hooligan thread and it inspired me to write. The good news is that I am getting use to the bike - I just need not to be STUPID!

Thoughts?

• Premium Member

Glad you're digging it now. This is my very first bike. Ive done a bit of trail riding as a little kid but that hardly counts as experience. IMO a touch of intimidation goes along way in keeping ones jackassery in check. If i were to damage my baby hardcore screwing around I would never forgive myself. Im not riding like Im on my way to the oldfolks home but neither am i pulling wheelies.  Baby steps for this guy.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Premium Member

Yeah you just need to improve the connection between your brain and right wrist, and you will be fine.

• Premium Member

Do a track day...

So you can explore your capabilities (and the bikes') in a safe environment.

:)

- Paulie

• Premium Member

I can relate to the uneasiness that this bike can deliver when I was within my first few thousand miles. I put about 60 miles without leaving my cul-de-sac. Hate to sound cliche but ride within your limits and try to figure out what you feel the most uncomfortable doing and practice it in a closed area/parking lot.

This is my first bike also. After 3 months of daily commute I can say the following.

This is a good starter bike only if you have brain-throttle part under control.

I stopped next to a 150cc on stop signal, after he passed me aggressively few blocks earlier. The guy said, "if I had your bike I'll be ridding faster..."; and I replied ..." If you had this bike, you wouldn't be talking right next to me"

Brain-throttle control is the key. Obviously take training from the certified instructors; that is the other half of it.

"I'm finding myself inching closer to doing things like serious drag starts, as well as getting more aggressive in corners.
The blessing/curse is that damn bike does bring out the DEVIL"
Congratulations, like the rest of us you've discovered what feels like the fountain of youth. I felt like I was 20 again and also started doing STUPID sh*t all over again just like when I actually was 20, ha! The only thing I recommend before it's too late is if you're going to be making that FZ-07's front end lighter and lighter in the future I would get one of those old dirt bikes out in the dirt where you're safer and practice wheelies until you feel comfortable & confident doing them. That way if you accidentally or otherwise pull a wheelie on the street you hopefully won't wipe out and look stupid and destroy your youth bringer.

Beemer

• Premium Member

So for me the best part of a bike is taking corners and that is something you can learn to improve on each time you ride. No matter how many ponies you have between your legs if you don't know how to use them they are useless.

I'm always skeptical now when someone says they have out grown this bikes performance..... are you sure or is it a ego issue. Just because you are now comfortable with this bike doesn't mean you outgrew the performance. Don't get me wrong I want a faster bike but its just the devil talking. I plan on getting another bike next year not sure what so many choice but I tell you what I'm keeping the FZ no question.
Just a little rant not directed at anyone ..... 

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

So for me the best part of a bike is taking corners and that is something you can learn to improve on each time you ride. No matter how many ponies you have between your legs if you don't know how to use them they are useless. 
I'm always skeptical now when someone says they have out grown this bikes performance..... are you sure or is it a ego issue. Just because you are now comfortable with this bike doesn't mean you outgrew the performance. Don't get me wrong I want a faster bike but its just the devil talking. I plan on getting another bike next year not sure what so many choice but I tell you what I'm keeping the FZ no question.

You pretty much nailed it. I had a GS500F for 7 years and put 43k miles on it and you wouldn't believe how many people couldn't understand why I didn't have a litter bike yet. To me going fast in a straight line is boring and expensive(tickets). the GS was very capable in the twisties and I would keep up with R1s and others that never learned how to utilize their bikes full potential. Honestly, the only reason I go the Fz07 was because I was tired of dealing with carb issues on the GS.

• Premium Member
You pretty much nailed it. I had a GS500F for 7 years and put 43k miles on it and you wouldn't believe how many people couldn't understand why I didn't have a litter bike yet. To me going fast in a straight line is boring and expensive(tickets). the GS was very capable in the twisties and I would keep up with R1s and others that never learned how to utilize their bikes full potential. Honestly, the only reason I go the Fz07 was because I was tired of dealing with carb issues on the GS.
+1  I had a Ninja EX500R before my FZ07.  I sometimes fantasize about huge displacement bikes, but in the end, it just isn't what I enjoy.  I've had larger bikes, and ridden much larger bikes, but the EX500 was just a fantastic commuter and twisty bike.  The FZ07 is very similar except for a more upright riding position, more power, and tons more torque.  It took me a while to get used to the engine braking, but now I love it.   

Why can't left turners see us?

I can relate to the uneasiness that this bike can deliver when I was within my first few thousand miles. I put about 60 miles without leaving my cul-de-sac. Hate to sound cliche but ride within your limits and try to figure out what you feel the most uncomfortable doing and practice it in a closed area/parking lot.
60 miles? Wow, your neighbors must love you!! Haha

+1  I had a Ninja EX500R before my FZ07.  I sometimes fantasize about huge displacement bikes, but in the end, it just isn't what I enjoy.  I've had larger bikes, and ridden much larger bikes, but the EX500 was just a fantastic commuter and twisty bike.  The FZ07 is very similar except for a more upright riding position, more power, and tons more torque.  It took me a while to get used to the engine braking, but now I love it. 
I have grown to love the engine braking too. Once I learned better rev matching and clutch/throttle control, engine braking makes riding so much livelier. My R6 has some monster engine breaking, too...it's odd to me how many people hate it.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

Archived