The MT-07 Forum

NEW 2016 FZ-07 Color Scheme?

saskbrah

" and the panel or parts need to be replace it is still hundreds or thousands of dollars" . What sort of LEDS re you buying???? I can buy a set of LED blinkers for less than incandscent ones. My Led headlight bulb cost $104aus and the Phillips +100 Halogens cost $90aus. The Hid was $150Aus. Replacing leds on displays where they are wave soldered on . I grant you is a complete pain and often not going to happen but that is lazy design and usually another part of the circuit anyway. On a vibrating motorcycle LED bulbs SHOULD way outlast filaments. I once owned a Ducati 450 desmo whose headlight lifespan was measured in unit weeks. Leds would have had no trouble coping.
If you are talking about TV and monitor screens CRT's used to die ( totally dead) much more often than TFT's do. And TFT's usually have a few ( very annoying) leds fail so are still watchable ( except for the OCD amongst us)

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Global Moderator
" and the panel or parts need to be replace it is still hundreds or thousands of dollars" . What sort of LEDS re you buying???? I can buy a set of LED blinkers for less than incandscent ones. My Led headlight bulb cost $104aus and the Phillips +100 Halogens cost $90aus. The Hid was $150Aus. Replacing leds on displays where they are wave soldered on . I grant you is a complete pain and often not going to happen but that is lazy design and usually another part of the circuit anyway. On a vibrating motorcycle LED bulbs SHOULD way outlast filaments. I once owned a Ducati 450 desmo whose headlight lifespan was measured in unit weeks. Leds would have had no trouble coping. If you are talking about TV and monitor screens CRT's used to die ( totally dead) much more often than TFT's do. And TFT's usually have a few ( very annoying) leds fail so are still watchable ( except for the OCD amongst us)

I'm an automotive tech, i spend a good portion of my day replacing LEDs (mostly assemblies) that aren't serviceable unless you spend the customer's money to rip apart the panel/part and replace the LED that has gone out, and hope that was the issue. the motorcycling world isnt nearly as bad as the automotive as of yet  but it's getting there with all the bus/integrated controllers going into touring/cruiser bikes nowadays. and all of the led based panels/components getting added on. 
blinkers are one thing.
again i'm a bit out of the loop here but when the base-model LED headlamp for a 2016 dodge charger is $1300US before tax/labor and the tail lamp(racetrack lamp) for the same vehicle is right around 6 grand. i think LED's arent nearly as in-expensive as they could be. 
the wave solder technique should be outlawed.... when those things go out, it's a nightmare to fix w/o some sort of small fortune.

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

" the wave solder technique should be outlawed.... when those things go out, it's a nightmare to fix w/o some sort of small fortune." I am one of those people that will have a go at fixing anything. Wavesoldered micro component boards have usually beat me.
The Dodge charger headlamp is an example of propriety marketing at it's worst. A LED headlight assembly should cost a fraction of an incandscent one. You don't need reflectors ( and accompaning development costs), you have considerable less heat to deal with, they are by nature easy to waterproof , the assembly can be a fraction of the materials and weight. That pricing is pure exploitation.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Global Moderator

I agree with you.... anywaay sorry for pulling this off topic

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Archived