The MT-07 Forum

NEW 2016 FZ-07 Color Scheme?

saskbrah

Hey, everyone. Brand new to the forums here.  Been shopping around for a new bike to buy this spring and decided on the Fz-07. I used to own a 2007 ZX-6R. I stumbled across this new color scheme on the Yamaha Canada website and immediately wanted it. link: http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/details.php?model=4653&group=MC&catId=79&year=2016Appears it is $200 more ($7499 CDN msrp + fees/taxes) than the other colors, so maybe some kind of special edition? I can't really find anything else about it anywhere online, although I know its offered in EU as well.  I phoned my nearest dealer to see if he had any info about it and he said he didn't but could look into it for me.  He went on to tell me about a grey 2015 they still have available and could get it to me for $7400 out the door, which would end up being at least $1000-1500 less then a new 2016 after fees and taxes.  He also suggested they could get the rims powdercoated neon for me and get the same decals as the 2016 I came across for $300-400. I messed with MS paint to see how this would look on the 2015 grey, along with coloring a few other accents, and I actually prefer the 2015 darker metallic grey to the more matte grey on the 2016. If I'm getting a new bike I'd like it to look the way I want right from the dealer, and I love this color scheme.  What do you guys think? DwlEUOy.png

You could buy it that way of take the 2015,spend 300 dollars give or take 20 for tax shipping and order a replacement panel for that style 2016 in a few months if I'm not mistaken when you order the oem for the model they are already painted not exactly sure.or get the wheels painted or dipped, and learn a bit more about your bike in the process, like how to take the plastics off, removing the rear tire and front tire correctly and such. Or buy it the way you want it.

It's probably easier and will save you time in your life to buy it the way you want it.

However if your thinking of just changing the 2015 to match it remember The biggest difference in the line ups is frame color because thats difficult to change aesthetic wise because you either slowly spray just what can be seen or take the bike down all the way to bare frame and spray it right.

If the frames the color you want on the 2015 you can save some time and money by painting the plastics and rims. If they aren't I'd go 2016.

The idea of taking the darker/metallic Grey 2015 and getting the rims powder-coated doesn't involve removing any plastics. Keep that grey, do the rims professionally and add some other matching decals/accents. The frame is already black. Just the one side piece(frame cover?) and side foot panel could get coated black also.

Guest 2wheeler

When I bought mine in the US three months ago, they had a 2015 and a 2016 on the floor. They would have dealt a lot more on the 2015, but the 2016 was the silver/blurple color which I knew I had to have. I paid a few bucks more but I knew everytime I saw one on the street with that color scheme, I would kick myself in the butt for not buying it. Everytime I walk up to that bike, I get a big smile on my face!

Moral of the story, to thine own self be true - get what you really want!

• Premium Member
The idea of taking the darker/metallic Grey 2015 and getting the rims powder-coated doesn't involve removing any plastics. Keep that grey, do the rims professionally and add some other matching decals/accents. The frame is already black. Just the one side piece(frame cover?) and side foot panel could get coated black also.
Actually (*and I readily acknowledge this may be different for countries outside the US) the charcoal color 2015s come with blurple wheels and frame.

Yea In Canada 2015 only came in Grey, Red or White, all with black wheels. I actually love the dark Charcoal with blurple wheels/frame. Would be my second choice for sure if available. The 2016's are available in light grey/silver with blurple but doesn't look nearly as good IMO.

I think that's a good idea. The darker 2015 gray would look better. That would look pretty sweet. 

Black/Yellow is generally my fav color combo for any bike. but that yellow that they went with is HIDEOUS! Its like a weird matte yellow.

There are some walkaround vids of this bike in this color on youtube at some of the Euro bike shows. I guess its ok, but they could have done such a better job picking a better yellow. Just my .2

Anyone noticing they are blacking out the panel covers and heel guards now? thats kinda cool...

Black/Yellow is generally my fav color combo for any bike. but that yellow that they went with is HIDEOUS! Its like a weird matte yellow. 
There are some walkaround vids of this bike in this color on youtube at some of the Euro bike shows. I guess its ok, but they could have done such a better job picking a better yellow. Just my .2

Anyone noticing they are blacking out the panel covers and heel guards now? thats kinda cool...

Yea I think almost every version of this bike looks better with the panel/frame cover and heel guards blacked out. I agree the color is a little weirdish, if I was to do it myself I would get the wheels powdercoated a slightly greener neon color and get decals made to match.

Here is a link to said YouTube video. I would definitely call that more of a green than yellow. Either way I love it, want it bad. Will be getting something like this for sure in spring.

I still don't get why everyone wants to be invisible...Fluoro wheels help , I guess, but a bit 70's.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

I still don't get why everyone wants to be invisible...Fluoro wheels help , I guess, but a bit 70's.

I assume by invisible you mean, why does everyone like darker(grey/black) paint jobs?

Yeah pretty much. I feel the same about grey, black, green and dark browm/red/orange ( It's an ASustralian soil thing). Oh look I am the same colour as the background...Oh look the semi just ran into me...

[div]Just noticed in the linked video that the blinkers are clear, not amber. That actually looks nice too. I would keep those instead of looking for replacements. Anyone know if you can order just the cover to change out the amber plastic?[/div]

• Global Moderator
[div]Just noticed in the linked video that the blinkers are clear, not amber. That actually looks nice too. I would keep those instead of looking for replacements. Anyone know if you can order just the cover to change out the amber plastic?[/div]
I believe those are the led lamps biker

Also
.... anyone in canadia want to get a price on the side covers? Wouldnt mind getting a set of those but i cant find a price on them.

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

IMO it looks hot, I love the contrast but I'm personally starting to get a little tired of seeing day-glo as a main color on a bike. The super brightness is almost sickening to the senses and it's such an off color so I would rather see something non day-glo. Saw a pic of a bumble-bee FZ-09 awhile back and it looked awesome!

Beemer

• Premium Member
Here is a link to said YouTube video. I would definitely call that more of a green than yellow. Either way I love it, want it bad. Will be getting something like this for sure in spring.
Any chance you'd be willing to sell me your stock blinkers in the event you swap them out? 

• Global Moderator

Unfortunately the European turn signals are smaller so you cannot just change out the plastic piece.

Any chance you'd be willing to sell me your stock blinkers in the event you swap them out?

The video is of a Euro version. I'm pretty sure any FZ-07 I can get in Canada will have the same big ugly pumpkins as the stock US bikes.

• Premium Member
The video is of a Euro version. I'm pretty sure any FZ-07 I can get in Canada will have the same big ugly pumpkins as the stock US bikes.
Gah. Man, I really don't understand the ridiculous regulations in the States regarding the size and color of blinkers on motorcycles. I hate these giant pumpkins. I had an '03 R6 that I bought the Euro lights for because I really liked that they were smaller, even if they did look otherwise identical. I just want to do that for this bike and I'll be happy. I can't even find a vendor in the States that sells the stock Euro lights. 

Gah. Man, I really don't understand the ridiculous regulations in the States regarding the size and color of blinkers on motorcycles. I hate these giant pumpkins. I had an '03 R6 that I bought the Euro lights for because I really liked that they were smaller, even if they did look otherwise identical. I just want to do that for this bike and I'll be happy. I can't even find a vendor in the States that sells the stock Euro lights.

Yup I hear you man! Sucks they have to make the bike ugly as sin from the factory, and force anyone that cares about how their bike looks to get aftermarket blinkers.

• Global Moderator

Yes, Canada has the pumpkins too. I swapped mine with Euro ones. Here's a 'How-To' respect-048.gif
You will have to replace the blinker relais too if you don't like the fast blinking.

I don't care what it looks like. It's a blinker.
What I do care about is the fact the LED blinkers spend more actual time at visible output than incandescent bulbs which gives them a greater chance of being seen when on . This is because a bulb has to heat first then increase in light output until after the power is removed. Leds take thousanths of a second to full brightness then thousanths of a second to off. They actually eed a slightly different power profile but are capable of way greater light output per current time, which in turn means they are more likely to be seen AND less likely likely to be missed when glanced at.
Leds being LEDs , you could make one the size of quarter of a postage stamp and it would blind people. As I have said on many occasions, LEDs are going to transform the way we design and construct things, A whole lot of limiting parameters that do not constrain LEDs, but did incandescents, are still being applied to the design morphology of lights using leds. You headlight no longer needs to be a huge lump to get a useable beam, you blinkers can be the size of a fingernail ad work BETTER than current ones. LED taillights are already common but are still using the weak multi arrays, licence plate lights are already available that are the size of a medical capsule and weigh the same.

• Global Moderator
I don't care what it looks like. It's a blinker. What I do care about is the fact the LED blinkers spend more actual time at visible output than incandescent bulbs which gives them a greater chance of being seen when on . This is because a bulb has to heat first then increase in light output until after the power is removed. Leds take thousanths of a second to full brightness then thousanths of a second to off. They actually eed a slightly different power profile but are capable of way greater light output per current time, which in turn means they are more likely to be seen AND less likely likely to be missed when glanced at.
Leds being LEDs , you could make one the size of quarter of a postage stamp and it would blind people. As I have said on many occasions, LEDs are going to transform the way we design and construct things, A whole lot of limiting parameters that do not constrain LEDs, but did incandescents, are still being applied to the design morphology of lights using leds. You headlight no longer needs to be a huge lump to get a useable beam, you blinkers can be the size of a fingernail ad work BETTER than current ones. LED taillights are already common but are still using the weak multi arrays, licence plate lights are already available that are the size of a medical capsule and weigh the same.

But when leds go out.... and the panel or parts need to be replace it is still hundreds or thousands of dollars
the technology has been around forever but is only now going mainstream and gaining the support it needs to grow as a viable option... just like compact flourescents did in home lighting... LEDs are doing the same in almost every branch of industry
leds are just a stepping stone to true holographic projection
when that day comes.... i wont leave the couch
or perhaps i'll get a treadmill for my fizzy and enjoy the worlds racetracks from my garage

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Archived