The MT-07 Forum

Winter Wash

Burley

Greetings riders --

So I've been pretty much riding all throughout the winter.  I've only had a couple of days where I didn't think I could safely ride.  No snow here, but a lot of rain and road debris.  I've been cleaning the chain and lubing it pretty regularly (could be better), but when I took the bike out on Sunday, I noticed how dirty the whole bike was, and with a lot of general gunk in hard to reach places.   I've never taken a hose to the bike.  What is your recommended approach for a general bike cleaning?  My local drive-though touchless car wash probably isn't the best method!

Ron
Victoria, BC, Canada

• Premium Member

Water is fine, just don't directly blast the airbox or electronics. I personally avoid using water unless I know I'll be able to get on the bike after and take a quick spin. A leaf blower does alright but you won't get all the nooks and crannies.

Mostly it'll just be a long process to get into all the little crevices. This bike has tons of em.

Everything went braap.

Personally, I wash the bike like I wash my car. Hose it down, scrub it down with soap, and rinse off. The bike definitely isn't submersible but it won't be affected by a hose just make sure u clean and Lube the chain afterwards.

• Premium Member

I sponge it down. It takes a while but i can be very thorough this way.
Damn! Victoria, aside from all the rain, what a great place to have a FZ. My home town of 35 years, I really miss it sometimes. I have dreamed of getting out there to ride the smooth twisty roads up island. Beautiful, even in a car.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Ex Islander here too. Campbell River to Gold River is my fave ride on the Island.

I'll use warm, soapy water and a rag when I have to. Like the others said, avoid the chain, air intake, and electronics. Unless its really dirty, I  use Pledge and cloths.

I usually spray wd-40 on paper towel to do the exhaust, rear wheel, and swing arm areas.

Yes -- nothing quite like Vancouver Island. I've lived on both ends and have pretty much been everywhere in between. Looking forward to retracing some old routes this summer -- on a clean bike! Thanks for the helpful tips everyone.

If you're worried about rusting and have the time, what I often do is I use a damp rag to take most of the surface dust off and a dry rag in the other hand to catch any run-off. That way you're not getting everything soaking wet and it dries quickly. With any tough spots I encounter I just make the rag wetter and rub harder and use the dry cloth afterwards. You may be surprised how well a bike cleans up without soap and a lot of water.

Beemer

• Global Moderator

I pretty much clean it as a car too. I even use a pressure washer, then sponge it and wash it off. I prevent spraying against the radiator (I damages easily as you know). I dry it off with a shammy and lube my chain.

If you're worried about rusting and have the time, what I often do is I use a damp rag to take most of the surface dust off and a dry rag in the other hand to catch any run-off. That way you're not getting everything soaking wet and it dries quickly. With any tough spots I encounter I just make the rag wetter and rub harder and use the dry cloth afterwards. You may be surprised how well a bike cleans up without soap and a lot of water.
I suppose, but, the bike looks so sexy when it's wet ;)   

• Global Moderator

Whyd you have to be right @jetgirl

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Archived