The MT-07 Forum

Hooligan in me after Akra carbon

sguerrero

Hi, I'm a new ridder, since October 2015. Before even picking my little baby (fz07) safety was priority 1. I can go on and on... But after insatling Akrapovic Carbon, the sound wakes the hooligan in me. I can't help it. I LOVE the sound.

Is this normal, is temporary? I try to contain myself of doing stupid things, but as soon as the smallest opportunity opens for me to accelerate.. Well :)

• Global Moderator

No.... it is not temporary....

Welcome to the dark side of owning a motorcycle
it tempts you with its deep growly bass notes at idle and high tenor at speed
You must only give in to become all powerful
give in... and take an advanced skills course

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

Remember to take an MSF class or watch/read Twist of the wrist 2. Maybe even Lee Parks' Total Control book so you can better understand traction and the importance of throttle control.

• Premium Member

Did the same for me at 38 years old lol and I was one that was fine with it being quiet at first and now I will never go back!

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

As a new rider, I can relate to the urge to go hooligan, but in my case, it ain't the exhaust. I'm fine with it stock, and it would even be OK with it if it were dead quiet. Nope, it's the insane torque at my fingertips that I find intoxicating. I started out trying to be polite and accommodating, but it didn't take long before I saw no reason to lag behind lollygagging phone jabberers and the like. At this point I never say to myself, "I should have passed this idiot." Because, I always pass everyone at the first opportunity... Never been sorry! I'm sure that will change, once I get a ticket, but I think I can keep it reasonable and stay out of trouble. With this bike, you only need to be on it a couple seconds before everybody is behind you!

“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
— Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values)

Did the same for me at 38 years old lol and I was one that was fine with it being quiet at first and now I will never go back!
Did I forget to mention my age? ...well if you must know 42 years old.

Middle life crisis is a bliss :cool:

Remember to take an MSF class or watch/read Twist of the wrist 2. Maybe even Lee Parks' Total Control book so you can better understand traction and the importance of throttle control. 

Great books / videos ....I'm reading Total Control right now. Thanks for the tip.

I will share other resources that I found very helpful for new riders.

This is normal, the first time I watched and listened to a video of my pipe on you tube the bad boy in me pushed the good boy out of the chair and pulled a wheelie. It took awhile after having mine for the rush to subside a little but I still do them occasionally. It's a nice reminder that I'm not on some tame, touring bike or that I'm tamed (old) just yet and I like it that way.

BTW, word of warning ... you're a new rider and this bike with it's power/torque could get you into trouble real fast so be careful while having fun. Refrain from doing wheelies around other vehicles, schools and titty bars.

Beemer

• Premium Member
Just wait until you start doing track days. That'll take the urge of doing any of your urges on the street right out of you
^ This 
:)

- Paulie

• Premium Member

My "accidental" wheelies seemed more frequent when I removed my Ti baffle. Congrats on the addition, I think exhausts really bring out a great tone on these engines.

Just wait until you start doing track days. That'll take the urge of doing any of your urges on the street right out of you
[attachment id=1265" thumbnail="1]Be wary of nurse Ratched's  wanting to control your urges, sguerrero.

Beemer

Archived