The MT-07 Forum

FZ-04?

level41

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest 2wheeler

I kinda liked those bikes. I used to see those around back in the day, only the ones I saw had pull back handlebars which made them look like cruisers. Were suppose to be like a mini Goldwing. They were never wildly popular where I lived. Most guys I knew back then were into speed and buying Kawasaki 650's and slapping big bore kits into them. They called them "Giant Killers" because they could outrun the 750's and other bigger bikes in the 1/4. I understand the cult following, though, there is one for my old Yamaha XZ550RJ or "Vision" that never caught on or sold for long. 
I'm on the hunt for a stripped down for a bulletproof commuter. Nobody is ever going to mess with one of those in my very open work parking lot. There is one guy I know who has put 75K on two different ones. Ever since I almost bought a Moto Guzzi a year ago, I have been eyeing up those GL500s. 

The MT-03 looks more like a GSX-S than a FZ.
The MT-03 isn't available here, and would have too little power anyway. 
I think the reason why most go for an FZ is because of the weight.
The KTM also does a great job with their 690.

I'm going to make another topic about that.

I kinda liked those bikes. I used to see those around back in the day, only the ones I saw had pull back handlebars which made them look like cruisers. Were suppose to be like a mini Goldwing. They were never wildly popular where I lived. Most guys I knew back then were into speed and buying Kawasaki 650's and slapping big bore kits into them. They called them "Giant Killers" because they could outrun the 750's and other bigger bikes in the 1/4. I understand the cult following, though, there is one for my old Yamaha XZ550RJ or "Vision" that never caught on or sold for long. 
I'm on the hunt for a stripped down for a bulletproof commuter. Nobody is ever going to mess with one of those in my very open work parking lot. There is one guy I know who has put 75K on two different ones. Ever since I almost bought a Moto Guzzi a year ago, I have been eyeing up those GL500s.
If I see one I'll let you know. Update: A maybe??? http://newbrunswick.craigslist.ca/search/mcy?auto_make_model=honda+GL+500

Beemer

Reliability? I'll take a new KTM over any 35 year old Honda. Those GL500s were heavy and really did nothing well. They were reliable for a 1980-ish motorcycle, but seriously, if you want boring, Honda's made plenty recently. you can even get an automatic tranny that shifts at 3k RPM.

I routinely see 60 mpg on my FZ w/o trying too hard. I'm between 5-7k RPMs much most of my rides out in the boonies. I've seen as high as 75mpg when I am trying.

Every dang motorcycle I've ever ridden has only been as fast as you squeeze the throttle. Last weekend I drove a 2105 Corvette. Aside from not having a clue as the where the front of that car was, it was easy as pie to drive when driven peacefully - say like my Subaru Outback (I never saw 6th or 7th gear, lol and the car rewards a short shift by locking the shift gate and forcing a 1st to 4th gear shift) - it did however, have a bit better acceleration when driven like a Vette of course! yeehaa! Better to have some power available than wish for it, imo..

I just don't get this entire conversation.

Personally, I don't see the allure of an FZ-04 if your only concern is MPG and speed / torque versus the 07. The 07 was my first bike and I found it to be a very easy starter because it's forgiving and it only gets you into trouble if you intentionally put it there. If you use decent throttle control and shift at the recommended RPM points, there shouldn't be any issues with torque / speed putting you in a dicey situation (generally speaking). I consistently get mid 50's mpg and that's with me being a little heavy on the throttle.

But... if you are dead set on a smaller bike and want to keep it close to the FZ, I agree with the previous poster about the CB500/300f. I actually contemplated getting the 500 over the FZ because I preferred the riding position and ergonomics of the bike slightly better, but didn't like the powertrain. I would also take a look at the CB500X since you seem to be interested in longer trips and such. I believe the 500x gets mid to upper 60's mpg.

I did my first really big tour on my CX500 at the end of the 1970's. Fantastic tourer , except as you say , a bit of a gas guzzler. Crossed the Hay plains with a friend with a GS1000S. he got 20% better fuel mileage.
To be fair it was a pushrod motor with huge carbs for the time on 250cc cyls. Never felt it needed more power and is the bike I quote when I am making that point. Stock suspension was poor ( that didn't stay stock long) but with some mods was a brilliant handler. Heaps of torque.
Interestingly, like BMW's of the time, it handled almost as well 2up as solo. In some ways is responsible for me liking bikes like the MT/FZ07.
CX500 3000km from home 1979. Still on the way out:
bike1250.jpg

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

That's some tail trunk ya had there.

Haven't been motorcycle camping in along time. The good ol days, them were.

My 1st 2 BMW R bikes saw a lot of dirt roads, even 2 up ( and some trails as well, lol) that I'd not even consider riding down today. Those bikes had 8" of front travel and 5" in the back, so they just soaked up all manner of crappy roads - they teeter-tottered a bit at triple digit speeds as well.

I did my first really big tour on my CX500 at the end of the 1970's. Fantastic tourer , except as you say , a bit of a gas guzzler. Crossed the Hay plains with a friend with a GS1000S. he got 20% better fuel mileage. To be fair it was a pushrod motor with huge carbs for the time on 250cc cyls. Never felt it needed more power and is the bike I quote when I am making that point. Stock suspension was poor ( that didn't stay stock long) but with some mods was a brilliant handler. Heaps of torque.
Interestingly, like BMW's of the time, it handled almost as well 2up as solo. In some ways is responsible for me liking bikes like the MT/FZ07.
CX500 3000km from home 1979. Still on the way out:
bike1250.jpg

Have you ever seen any kangaroos crossing the road? I would find that fascinating, so long as they didn't attack.

Beemer

Roos have to be smarter than deer.

Speaking of deer, getting pretty near that season for them to be running everywhere w/o any common sense. Be careful out there, especially at dusk. The deer will always win that battle.

Roos and wallabies are definitely not smart. They have a defense ploy when startled of bounding across in front of a predator, then they turn and jump behind. Works fine for another animal travelling at them at 30kpm, but not a vehicle at faster than that. They get hit a lot. Not so much on a motorbike though as we have less frontal area, but it still happens. Don't know anybody that travels outside a big city that hasn't hit a kangaroo or wallaby. Even hit them on mountain bikes on bush tracks.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Archived