The MT-07 Forum

Anyone swapped out the stock clutch with a slipper clutch?

AlbatrossCafe

AlbatrossCafe

I am slowly learning that I am not as satisfied with the "budget" components of the FZ that I originally thought. The engine is a work of genius, but I am afraid to be truly satisfied (in terms of performance), among the Exhaust & Suspension I would like to swap out the stock clutch with a slipper clutch.

Has anyone done this in their FZ or in other bikes? Estimate on cost? Can I do the replacement work myself? Recommended brands?

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

No Slipper clutch on the FZ just seems too expensive for me to justify it. I blip the throttle prior to down shifting. Ive ridden a Duc with a slipper but i really didn't change how i rode I still rev matched out of habit. Plus it really pissed off my neighbors so that's a plus. If you learned to ride on a 4 cylinder bike that doesn't have massive engine braking i can see how its hard to get used to. But I'll modify my riding style way before i drop a grand on a aftermarket slipper.

AlbatrossCafe
No Slipper clutch on the FZ just seems too expensive for me to justify it. I blip the throttle prior to down shifting. Ive ridden a Duc with a slipper but i really didn't change how i rode I still rev matched out of habit. Plus it really pissed off my neighbors so that's a plus. If you learned to ride on a 4 cylinder bike that doesn't have massive engine braking i can see how its hard to get used to. But I'll modify my riding style way before i drop a grand on a aftermarket slipper.
yeah, I learned to ride on a 2005 CBR 600 F4i. My last bike (Yamaha Raider 1900cc V-Twin) also had a slipper clutch. Even with rev matching, you are bound to make a mistake at some point when downshifting hard (especially around turns) and when going fast it can be detrimental. The engine braking is also a pain. 
$1k is a lot though. I might wait till the stock one starts to wear, but I might own another bike before that happens ;)

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

Just from my experience with cars I never down shift or brake hard mid corner. I do my brakeing and down shifting in the straight and accelerate thru the corner. Just don't want to do anything to upset the suspension.

Unhooking stock o2 sensor will help with engine braking. O2 sensor is only active when the econ light is on the display which is decel and steady state cruising.

• Premium Member

Also, apparently the ECU reflash available from 2 Wheel Dynoworks drastically reduces engine braking

Ive never had a bike with a slipper clutch so the engine braking never bothered me- it's always helpful on downhill turns. Adding the EJK controller and removing the O2 sensor reduced my engine braking by at least 80%. caught me off guard at first, I had to actually use the brakes to stop. Something about the fz07 cutting fuel under certain situations causes more engine braking, not sure if a slipper clutch will help that much without affecting performance.

AlbatrossCafe

I do have the ECU flash but didn't notice a change in engine braking, which I was surprised about.

I guess this belongs more in the rumored new "Track Talk" section as it for my purposes it would be most beneficial for when I'm riding the bike super hard. A slipper clutch is a must for me when psuedo-racing and going through turns in the lower 3 gears.

I swap back and forth between an Aprilia with a slipper and the FZ w/o and do find it takes a bit more concentration to do a nice rev match on the FZ after riding the Aprilia. I think it's more that the slipper allows one to become a bit lazy, than the FZ being too hard to routinely do well. The big engine braking, and the speed at which the revs drop on the FZ also don't help.

There are slipper units out there for the FZ, but that $1k would be better spent on suspension upgrades imo. here's one http://japan.webike.net/products/22058467.html and another http://japan.webike.net/products/21960663.html

I've been riding so long I blip the throttle/rev match in my sleep, I don't even think about it now and I can't imagine anyone not doing it when they down shift. I hope you're at least doing that. Aside from rev matching, my EJK not only helps a lot with engine braking but it helps smooth out the throttle, adds some ponies along with some other benefits so IMO you would get more for your money with an EJK. Seriously, the engine braking is very minimal (normal) now with it but even without the EJK to avoid hard engine braking I simply waited till the rpm's came down more and gave it plenty of blip before I did down shift and it wasn't so bad but then again I'm the type that can get used to about anything because my life style hasn't been a pampered one. No reason to spend money on that, I don't think. As wickedtwister mentioned how you should brake in a straight line before a turn, engine braking while leaning could put you down hard. Not advisable.

Beemer

heh heh, ever ride a late 70s/80s R bike? Combine 8" of travel in the forks (even with bottoming springs - remember those?) and 5" travel in the back with all that shaft-jacking and one learns in a big way to do all shifting/rev-matching and braking early. Let's see, I had the R90/6 (affectionately nicknamed the "Brown Stain" ) from '76 to '83 and then an '82 R100RS until '97. 21 years - those riding habits are etched in stone at this point.

LOL, Rick.... Soo very true. It is like riding a soggy horse...

I have ridden a few slippers and raced one on my ER6N. I love them, ESPECIALLY in the wet. I used to eat the other competitors when the track was wet, that used to beat me senseless in the dry.
One place I would have said slippers were were mandatory was on Vtwins and our 90/270 deg cranks. They really don't like being over down shifted and break traction of downshifts very easily. Wheel hop is common in this firing config.
Whilst I would love a slipper on the MT07 I noticed that the rear hop is noticeable by it's abscence overall. I think they have done what BMW did with my F800R and somehow dampen the throttle closing somewhat.
I would still like a slipper though.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Global Moderator

yoyodyne makes them for the APmotoarts FZ07R project
http://www.fz07r.com/merch/

Also.... What wheelhop absence?
i feel the rear hopping occasionally... though it could just be my horrid stocker shock

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

The OEM shock exhibits every unpleasant trait a shock can have known to man ( and may at this moment be inventing a few more)
Be aware I don't have anywhere around where I live nowdays to really push the bike. Too open and flatish. And if I ride with my girlfriend I would end up waiting forever. She has slowed down considerably since her big accident ( smashed lower leg . plates and pins). I still have ( looks furtively side to side to ensure no one is listening) ...chicken stripes... Haven't had those since the 1970's

I do track days on an R6 with a slipper. I see what you mean about the difficulty in transitioning from a lack of engine braking to abrupt engine braking, but I don't see it as all that big of a deal. Mostly because, as other have mentioned, you generally don't want to downshift while leaned into a turn.
Another point, hard riding into a turn that would require abrupt braking or downshifting should probably not be done on the street anyway, and I'm guessing you're not doing track days on your FZ07. Not trying to tell you what to do, I just hate to see guys wreck and/or give motorcycle riders a bad name.
But if you are doing track days on our FZ07, I'd love to hear how its doing and what tracks you're running it on.

• Global Moderator
The OEM shock exhibits every unpleasant trait a shock can have known to man ( and may at this moment be inventing a few more) Be aware I don't have anywhere around where I live nowdays to really push the bike. Too open and flatish. And if I ride with my girlfriend I would end up waiting forever. She has slowed down considerably since her big accident ( smashed lower leg . plates and pins). I still have ( looks furtively side to side to ensure no one is listening) ...chicken stripes... Haven't had those since the 1970's
Chicken stripes are unfortunately a blight on my bike.... but i too have nowhere to rid her of them....
with school and work.... dont have the time for track days

I suspect a lot of people are running too much preload in back to try and compensate for the lack of damping in that OE lump of steel. That will result in all manner of hop, hop, hop.

Like I said, suspension 1st and then the slipper if you still feel the need.

Always suspension first ( although on the facebook page in Aus for the MT07, it appears to be wheels stripes first...)

• Global Moderator

Wheel stickers add +0.25 hp per sticker and depending on the kit... thats about 3 per wheel
cheap way to overcome the LAMS model restrictions right?
:P

Archived