The MT-07 Forum

Racing your FZ-07? Sound off here!

Cruizin

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member

I'm considering it, but as many of you know I've already been tracking it quite a bit :)

- Paulie

I'm considering it, but as many of you know I've already been tracking it quite a bit :) 
- Paulie
Yep, watched your video of you versus an R6 I believe. Good stuff!

• 2 weeks later...
scordiaboy515
Nope, track days maybe if I can get the thing to stop lofting the front every time I open the throttle! :0 
  no worries mate......you will never use 1st gear at any track day... 

- Paulie
Yep, watched your video of you versus an R6 I believe. Good stuff!
Where can I find this video? I would very much like to see it.

Beemer

Thanks ctrlsave! That was fun to watch, that R6 is a screamer and the FZ-07 looked good in the turns but I would still love to see an actual race between the two bikes. Even a quarter mile drag race would be cool!

Beemer

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up a FZ7 a couple of weeks ago for the specific purpose of racing it. I'm still waiting on parts to come in, but I will start a build thread shortly.

Yams and Ham!

• 2 months later...
straydogeod

I've done a bunch of track days on other bikes ranging from I4s (GSXR750) to big twins (Buell XB12R Firebolt) to big singles (KTM 690 SMC), to mini Hondas (100s/150Rs) but there was something about my first time on the track on the FZ07 that was an absolute riot. The right amount of power to not be at all scary, punchy torque to have fun acceleration and just an all around fun time.

My question for you other track junkies is what have you done/plan to do about suspension? I by no means expect RR performance but there is certainly some room for improvement for track riding. What tires are you guys using (and what pressures if they are Pilot Road 3s :-P) Are you guys running stock gearing?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Once or twice a month i hit the 1/4 mile drag strip ...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• 5 months later...

Hello everyone, my name is Dave. I'm a long time member, first time poster. 
I bought this FZ off the showroom specifically to build and race, as a replacement to my SV in the lightweight class.

A couple pics of the bike, on and off track; (a bunch of angry SV's in tow)

IMG_5841_3840x2560.jpg

20160306_130349_1.jpg

I've raced it now for a full season, starting at Chuckwalla in April and ending at Brainerd in September concluding with a 5 hour endurance race. We finished the endurance race 5th in class and 8th overall out of 22 teams. I have also added a link to the build thread started last Sept and run in parallel to gogokawai's thread. (Enjoyed his thread and loved that he stayed true to green but in courtesy left mine on my home board on MNSBR.com) It was fun to see we both encountered so many similar hurdles along our way to completing such similar bikes. The bike has over 1500 miles on it now (all on track) and is undergoing minor repairs and upgrading after a last lap crash in the last race of the season, lol. 

http://www.mnsportbikeriders.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=77573

I've enjoyed meeting or bumping into many of you over the course of the season. And a special shout out to pgeldz whom I met at Chuckwalla.

Thanks,
Dave
CRA # 155 

• Global Moderator
Hello everyone, my name is Dave. I'm a long time member, first time poster. 
I bought this FZ of the showroom specifically to build and race, as an replacement to my SV in the lightweight class.

A couple pics of the bike, on and off track; (a bunch of angry SV's in tow)

IMG_5841_3840x2560.jpg

20160306_130349_1.jpg

I've raced it now for a full season, starting at Chuckwalla in April and ending at Brainerd in September concluding with a 5 hour endurance race. We finished the endurance race 5th in class and 8th overall out of 22 teams. I have also added a link to the build thread started last Sept and run in parallel to gogokawai's thread. (Enjoyed his thread and loved that he stayed true to green but in courtesy left mine on my home board on MNSBR.com) It was fun to see we both encountered so many similar hurdles along our way to completing such similar bikes. The bike has over 1500 miles on it now (all on track) and is undergoing minor repairs and upgrading after a last lap crash in the last race of the season, lol. 

http://www.mnsportbikeriders.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=77573

I've enjoyed meeting or bumping into many of you over the course of the season. And a special shout out to pgeldz whom I met at Chuckwalla.

Thanks,
Dave
CRA # 155 

Welcome dude :)

That paul fella is one weird dude aint he?
Good to see more and more people taking this bike out to the track

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

@mossrider

Dave!!! How are you man! Bike is looking great as usual! Glad to see it's treated you well.

I've prepped my bike as god as I could to go race. I even got my racing license a few weeks ago, but the hold up now is safety wiring everything and that dang belly pan.

Safety wire won't be an issue, but finding a closed belly pan legal for racing is. I know there are universal ones out there I can adapt, like the one you linked me to when we first met, but I went to great strides to get a certain look to my bike, and I have an idea for a belly pan to suit. If I can get it made or not is the question.

I'm going to finish out the last couple of track days, and then try to get it done.

Glad you see you on the forums, and keep us posted on your bike and race happenings!

:)

- Paulie

Great to here from you and congrats on your race license! You won't regret it. As far as that belly pan, just make it yourself out of fiberglass. It's easy to work with if you're patient and have just one drink (to steady the hand) I've seen your work and if I can do it you sure as hell can. I've made various parts over the years for my old cafe bikes by making forms out of cereal boxes covered in wax paper and sprayed with Pam as a release agent. Just mock it up to your minds eye and give her hell, a dremmel is handy for artsy shit and trimming.

I want that fz07r tank and tail so bad, wish someone could sell them to me. I'll buy the whole set and part out the front fairing for cheap if anyone wants a spare 

Here's a few shots from throughout the season and some thoughts on the lessons learned.

As mentioned in Feb/Mar Sport Rider; turn key 07R [HASH]1 to my left, 07R kit [HASH]1, nemesis on blurple sv to my right and her husband J. Rocket on the other end...
IMG_9434_L.jpg

On these things if I trail brake deeper and tip in later I can square off slower corners and get a good drive, using the torque curve to my advantage..like here setting up to drive underneath on exit
14463016_332367393779983_9123019261790705569_n.jpg

These things hold/change lines so effortlessly you can drift outside slower riders in corners (she kicked my ass at the end of the next straight tho)
  14435156_10157470242105641_2516447508719634059_o.jpg

Here I was giving class on Donnybrooke turn 9. The 07's are great in slower, more technical portions of the tracks...but they are softer on the fast end in Supersport form. I had to keep the stock airbox to comply with the rules.
  14468332_10157470210380641_4884948244316476533_o.jpg

Here I am getting set up for the classic draft pass, doesn't take em long to find your weaknesses...
IMG_6468_3840x2473.jpg
the other blue FZ07R seen above is a superbike spec bike and fully 10 mph faster than mine on top. I out launch him badly tho and the difference is negligible on the infield portion of track.

A couple more;
The 180 series tires are a dichotomy on a 70-80hp bike. They easily handle the power as seen here. Full power on, front tire skimming tarmac, still leaned hard over. But, they rob some acceleration and  top end. I plan to try the B Stone 165 some next year.
IMG_1077_X3.jpg

Here Anthony demonstrates how to use an FZ07R  as a Supercross berm. This is one the great bennies of racing over track days. You get up close and personal on purpose with guys/gals you trust instead of by accident with strangers. Beers after swapping paint at warp speed. YES! Track days are fun, racing a nuclear speedball.
14124284_10154388434210528_2538003566591700415_o.jpg

Not a Zed but trying to catch my buddies Kramer is like trying to swat a blown house fly running mr12,
IMG_6292_X3.jpg

• Premium Member

Do you guys run steering dampers? Thanks.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Do you guys run steering dampers? Thanks.

No. Never had one on my SV either. To expand on that; in the lightweight class some do, some do not.

Archived