The MT-07 Forum

What will she do?

yamabob

Stock, my FZ-09 did 132 mph. After exhaust, port matching, fuel controller, and ECU flash I got it up to 154 and it had more
You are comparing apples to watermelons. If I wanted 132/154 I would not be riding a 700 twin. My stock ZX12R was still climbing fast at 155, I could not control my desire and sold it after six months. Riding watermelons intimidates me. Do you dream supercharged H2 dreams? The Kawi infection can be very hard to cure.  

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Huh?

In a thread titled "what will she do" I mentioned that certain upgrades can raise top speed. Where are you getting all of these watermelon, Kawasaki references?

Yes, I like speed. I like to tame danger, simplify it, break it down until it makes sense. Over come the fear. There is a road jut outside of town that dead ends into a canyon rim, where you have this ten mile flat spot and that is where I go deal with my top speed urges. It's pretty safe, not a bad place to open it up.

No, I don't want an H-2. I like making things go faster than they were built to go. I don't think I'm alone...

The speed test should only begin. As colder temperatures are coming, your engine will develop more HP.
Cold air is more dense. So more air will be entering your engine, and the air sensor will make sure to increase gas too, so more hp.
So, put on your winter gear, and test your speed again (rofl)

The speed test should only begin. As colder temperatures are coming, your engine will develop more HP. Cold air is more dense. So more air will be entering your engine, and the air sensor will make sure to increase gas too, so more hp.
So, put on your winter gear, and test your speed again (rofl)
I leave that to those living in hotter climate. Over here, it's snowing. 

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

• Global Moderator

Same here, snow is flying so my bike is going nowhere. My winter gear would slow me down anyway.  :D

53df9d10855e806926293e3161625e4f.jpg

Same here, snow is flying so my bike is going nowhere. My winter gear would slow me down anyway.  :D 

Looking good! I have the same gear! ;)

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

...But those roller skates!....

Illegitimi non carborundum

...But those roller skates!....
We wear them while riding. It helps if we spill, we can just roll away until we roll to a stop.  ;)

• 7 months later...

I didn't read this whole thread but here's my tops speeds. There is a road that's perfectly straight and flat. I have taken the fizzy up to 126 MPH twice. I put on a termignoni and had the two wheel dyno flash. Before today I had only the bike with the silencer in and it still did 126 again.

Today, I went on the same two hour country ride, but this time I removed the silencer. Indicated 133MPH!!!!!!!!

I took a video of it but the shadow of the camera block my MPH on the dash and I don't think it was visible!!!!!! I can put the video up when I get back in town tomorrow, hopefully the numbers are at least faintly visible on the computer. What is definitley visible is the cop going the other way down the road!!!!!!! With his radar on apparently!!!!! Fortunately, I had slowed down to 79 and he only wrote me for 75 in a 55.

Got soooooo lucky today.

I was humbled twice yesterday, I pulled over on the side of the freeway to zip my sleeves then jumped back into merge and a car was coming up quick so I got on her like I've done on my sport bikes and I did keep safe distance ahead of the approaching car but i was like damn is this all I got!? Then on the way home from work I felt her power go flat a couple of times. Had to remind myself she's a little lady and I need to treat her right. She's my commuter and I love her. Fastest I ever went was 164 on my '05 CBR 1000RR and she still had more scream to go.

I have pushed her to 122mph. I think she could go a little bit more, 125mph perhaps, but I would need a very long road to do that.

My fizzy must be one of the few on steroids. It hits 120 really easy. In fact I was surprised how quick it hit 130. The last 4 mph to 134 did take about 8-10 seconds. So my top speed is 134( I thought it was 133 but I looked at the video and it does tic over to 134 briefly). And keep in mind this is in 102 degree temp. Had it been 70 I might get another MPH or two more.

Oh and I checked the video I recorded earlier. I went into full tuck and the sun was behind me so my shadow was on the guage. The only digit barely visible is the ones digit :(

Speed is not everything, but while we are on the subject, here is a bike being passed by a car going 186mph :

And this is the car doing it, the Audi RS3 :

Before anyone start patronizing the first video, it was on the German autobahn, so legal speed was not an issue, safety might have been :o

:Dlol i was just saying that it's kind of ridiculous to be dragging/racing a naked 700cc bike like the FZ07 and expect to win against a what almost 400hp cage when you hit the 100mph+ area then like not believe your eyes and have to ask to double check, especially after owning a zx12r. I mean @ 17 YO even i know that much about physics of bikes and cars to not be surprised by the result of your little "race" there. But hey at 62 YO riding a bike and having some fun GOOD ON YOU MATE! I hope you have many more years of riding in ya! ;):-*
I've raced muscle cars with a little 550 Vision knowing they would pull away from me after a 1/4 mile and when they did I let off the gas and smiled cause I knew I had beat them in the 1/4. Maybe he felt the same way or maybe it's just the thrill of the chase he likes. I know I like it.

Beemer

I'm confused.... Michelin Man or Sta-Puft Marshmallow Man?

Beemer

• Global Moderator

Had the bike up to 128 before i ran into a wall of lorries and had to brake. no windscreen, im 6'1@ 255lbs plus whatever my gear weighs. was only at 8k rpm in 6th so im sure i couldve gotten it over 135. Due to my build i find it hard to do a full tuck on this bike. So i was more or less just leaning forward, belly wasnt really even hitting the tank plastics

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

One of the things I like about the FZ-07 is that it is a fast little monster at legal speeds, and just a bit above. So you can actually have power that you can use and have fun with without an extra hundred pounds of muscle and fairing that are only realizing potential on a track or racing in front of a flashing blue light.

The little FZ will give many bikes and most cars a run for their money up to max legal freeway speed, after that it gets iffy quick, because it's just not designed for that. But I wonder what that motor could do within the chassis of an R6 with slightly different gearing?

Databyter

• Premium Member
I have seen 120 on my phones GPS, it took a looooooooong time to get there. A slight down hill with no head wind and as tucked as possible. If I had another 1/2 mile I might have hit 121. It didn't feel all that bad to me.
Is downforce a factor in a naked bike as far as speed. I mean I know it would be if you were actually cornering at those speeds, but say on a straight, how much speed do you lost just by virtue of the fact that without fairings, your bike is not capable of pressing into the asphalt hard enough not to slip. But to what extent? 
Databyter

Databyter

• Premium Member
Nothing to do with aerodynamics once you're chest is on the tank ! The FZ-07 has about the same top speed as a ninja 650 which has full fairings. The twin cylinder of those 600-700cc engines are good with torque at lower speed but they still only have 75hp. Above 100mph the acceleration will drop.
Above those speeds you need a more powerfull motorcycle, that's it.
The FZ-07 still makes the 0-60 in about 4 seconds, only a few car that does that and will cost a lot of money !
What I never hear people talk about is downforce. Either a sportscar or a faired sport bike is designed to provide not only low resistance, but downforce which keeps your speed stable. I would be very cautious riding in any not track situation much over 3 digits, but I speak from ignorance admitedly, I am just trying to find the answers. I know at that speed the air pressure can do strange things if not controlled, including reduce the effective weight of the bike on the road, which ideally should increase, not decrease. or stay the same.  Just a thought. 
You vets can enlighten me.    -  Databyter

Databyter

• Premium Member
I ride 75-85mph on my commute every day and it's very smooth up until 85. Took it to 103 once but you could tell the bike is not designed for that. Which is perfect for me because I have kids!
Same here. I think I have not gone over 85 but 90% of the time I am going 70 - 80. My commute is a bit over 20 miles each way and both ends are right by the ramps of the same freeway, so my commute consists of zooming over to the fast or HOV lane and waiting 17 - 18 minutes and then getting off. 
I'm waiting for my rear stand before I take it to twisties or much faster because I may have a rear wheel alignment issue and I want to string it for myself.

It seems very smooth at 80, I don't think I have ever opened the throttle more than 50% and I move away from tailgaters or pass with ease.

Databyter

Databyter

I think I have not gone over 85 but 90% of the time I am going 70 - 80.
70-80mph is the FZ-07 sweet point. Anybody who wants to ride that bike faster most of the time, will be disappointed. 

• Global Moderator
I think I have not gone over 85 but 90% of the time I am going 70 - 80.
70-80mph is the FZ-07 sweet point. Anybody who wants to ride that bike faster most of the time, will be disappointed.
i agree 100%  there's really no reason to go above 75. the bike is stable, fuel economy is still there, mostly, and there's still a bit of rpm left to get out of the way of whatever asshats are on the road

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member
Childish games like show me yours and I'll show you mine can be fun...you should try it sometime!
BTW the Super Duke is the baddest stripper alive.
I endorse these comments ;) 

Nothing to do with aerodynamics once you're chest is on the tank ! The FZ-07 has about the same top speed as a ninja 650 which has full fairings. The twin cylinder of those 600-700cc engines are good with torque at lower speed but they still only have 75hp. Above 100mph the acceleration will drop.
Above those speeds you need a more powerfull motorcycle, that's it.
The FZ-07 still makes the 0-60 in about 4 seconds, only a few car that does that and will cost a lot of money !
What I never hear people talk about is downforce. Either a sportscar or a faired sport bike is designed to provide not only low resistance, but downforce which keeps your speed stable. I would be very cautious riding in any not track situation much over 3 digits, but I speak from ignorance admitedly, I am just trying to find the answers. I know at that speed the air pressure can do strange things if not controlled, including reduce the effective weight of the bike on the road, which ideally should increase, not decrease. or stay the same.  Just a thought. 
You vets can enlighten me.    -  Databyter
I passed a long line of cars once going down a long hill and everything was going as planned until when I cut back in at 115 mph. I caught a cross wind and got the "death wobble" so I am convinced that pressure is a factor when riding/driving. I haven't felt invincible since then and don't test what the experts say.

Beemer

Archived