The MT-07 Forum

What will she do?

yamabob

Guest MXRider

I'm still waiting for someone to give a gps confirmed top speed of this bike. I'm curious myself.

Having spent plenty of time on bikes without fairings, the wind doesn't get to be much of an issue until you are over the 120 mph mark when you are in a full tuck.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I feel this bike could easily be capable of 135+mph. In 6th at 5,000rpm I am crusing at 70, only makes sense that at 10,000 you should be doing 140. However, like mentioned earlier, aerodynamics have a huge impact on naked bikes.
No way. At that speeds it's all drag.  And while the aerodynamic drag increases as the square of velocity, the power required to overcome it is a function of the cube of the velocity. Thus, to double the speed you need eight times the powa'.   FZ07 need not apply ;) 
see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_(physics)#Power

missourifz07

^^^^Grabs calculator......this divided by that equals v squared / carry the 1 then - d(x-y)+3 = FZ-07

--- if you cant tell right off the bat, my equation is totally bunk

• Global Moderator

I just had a guy in a Ford Ranger try to beat me off the line. A Ford Ranger!! I have never felt so insulted in my life. Did I mention he was in a Ford RANGER?!!

I raced a Honda Accord  :P  Well, not really raced, but from light to light either she had a heavy foot or was just trying to make me look bad.  At the last light, going uphill, long straight away, I twisted the throttle pretty hard and geez, it's like a catapult, she was tiny in my mirrors in about 2 seconds.  You can have fun and you don't need to break the sound barrier and there is still a lot more throttle/ RPM's unused.

• Global Moderator

She will beat a Ranger off the line. I was at the next lights before he was half way down the block. I was turning at that intersection so it was only a one block race.

Was just strolling thru some twisties last weekend when a Ford Fusion with 2 young guys starting trying to follow me closely...goodbye little Fusion you have Yamahahahahahad(the sound my FZ07 makes when laughing)

:) :)

Greenhound386

127mph indicated today. Might have hit 130 w/ another few hundred yards. That was as tucked as I could get, 150lb rider. Not sure what my speedo error is, so ~120 is realistic.

2011 ZX-6R
2015 FZ-07

• 2 months later...

has some of you came up with realistic 1/4 miles result? I am only asking because passing acceleration is of utmost importance to me when passing a cager or a truck.

• Global Moderator

You will always had a truck. You will beat any car that is not a "super car' and even then it will be close. Seriously though I would love to see some actual 0-60 and 1/4 mile numbers.

I have seen 120 on my phones GPS, it took a looooooooong time to get there. A slight down hill with no head wind and as tucked as possible. If I had another 1/2 mile I might have hit 121. It didn't feel all that bad to me.

You do or don't
Then your dead.

To order a tail tidy click
One-off-fabrication.myshopify.com

I pulled mid tens at the local drag strip on my FZ-09. It took alot of tries to get my time down because the damn thing stands up straight on take off.

What 60' and mph also what elevation is the track plus your weight I'm curious...

Honestly guessing the fz-07 is probably a high to mid 12 sec with a good 60'

I may have had her up to 125 once or twice full tuck, and it took a minute for the last 5-10 but she is more than capable of maneuvering traffic from 80 to 100 when some asshole decides to either challenge you in a lane change or race you. 5th is a nasty gear on the highway triple digits show up mighty quick. This bike was not made for top speed runs, like many others have said at 120 plus the front just becomes light and doesn't like to receive those inputs very well even at a full tuck. But hey to each his own, ride safe and within your skill and ride a speed appropriate for the conditions. A fellow rider was killed in my city Friday morning hauling ass on the freeway so do it safely if you are going to test it.

Follow me on Instagram. http://instagram.com/trebec

Nothing to do with aerodynamics once you're chest is on the tank ! The FZ-07 has about the same top speed as a ninja 650 which has full fairings.
The twin cylinder of those 600-700cc engines are good with torque at lower speed but they still only have 75hp. Above 100mph the acceleration will drop.
Above those speeds you need a more powerfull motorcycle, that's it.
The FZ-07 still makes the 0-60 in about 4 seconds, only a few car that does that and will cost a lot of money !

Coming back this afternoon (after getting the gratuitous battery recall done) I was on Roosevelt Blvd. and coasted up behind a pair of middle-aged bikers (like me) waiting line abreast at a stoplight.

One was riding a Harley but his bud was on a Ninja ZX-14.

The Full Monty Ninja dude wasn't wearing a helmet or any gear whatsoever but at least he had sunglasses on, a cool baseball cap worn backwards and a big ol' wad of chew noticeably bulging in his lip.

The light switched to green and with nauseating pageantry the odd-couple posers deliberately and confidently shifted their mighty steeds into gear and started crossing the intersection.

I was keen to get home because the weather forecast today advised an 80-percent chance of rain and the skies to the north were rapidly growing darker.

So, as soon as I was able I moved over into the left lane then cracked the throttle and like a shot I got around and accelerated away from the two studs now rapidly disappearing from sight in my rear view mirrors.

And I made it home before it began to rain.

Somebody should tell that guy on the Ninja that men over 30 years of age should never wear baseball caps backwards.

Sad, but some people don't learn from others mistakes. On the plus, you did find a rare sighting of a 30 year old with a backwards baseball cap haha.

11.72 sec on the 1/4 mile from this video

[video src=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6-2daHqEXo]

Best time: 12.13 sec. @ 107.70 mph; 3.80 sec. 0-60; 10.51 sec. 0-100 from this video

[video src=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzE8V_Upf_o]

only supercars will beat that

This bike isn't meant for top speed though. Where it shines is in maneuverability and flick-ability around corners in those city/freeway speeds. It does absolutely marvelous in lowers speeds under 80 but if you are trying to get high top speeds or beat most any car in anything more than a 1/4 mile, you have the wrong bike. This is a naked bike, not a Race Replica Super Sport. These are meant for speed in low RPM, quick bursts to get people off the line and for city riding (which this bike excels at). And its also not a matter of experience with this bikes speed, it just physically won't go much faster than 120-130. I don't care if you have been riding for 50 years or 2 days, you will never beat a Challenger in a top speed run in a straight line on this bike stock. It's just not realistic. But that is not what this bike was made for and its not why I bought this bike. I bought it because first off, it is a very economical bike, but also because it is a blast to ride in twisting roads and it gets to 60 insanely fast. If you want to go so fast your arms get dislocated out of there sockets at top speed, get the new Ninja H2, ZX-14r, S1000RR or Hayabusa. And I say this with love to all my fellow FZ owners. Just telling you what I feel about this topic.

Archived