The MT-07 Forum

What will she do?

yamabob

We all know how the 07 is a blast to zip around on with light weight, great tires, and just enough ponies to go. But eventually we are humbled and yesterday it was take it to the limit time with a late model Challenger. I didn't see an SRT badge and with the driver sporting a backwards ball cap he wasn't going to flash a badge. So as the traffic opened we opened her up!YHMBSRVNT got shut down! The little FZ was gasping for air at 107 as the big Dodge walked away. I didn't trust the dude not to play me so I wasn't in his slip stream. Even grabbing the lead edge on the tank and laying like a lizard I doubt there was much more beyond 110 at the top.
It is likely that aero makes a difference, 75HP is more than some of my other bikes that were faster.So even if you guys want the tell lies, fess up, What will she do?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member

That is exactly it. There's no fairings to help the aerodynamics of this bike. 0-60 you would of chewed him up SRT or not. I do believe I read on the review sites of this bike that the top speed was about 120mph. These bikes were not designed for those types of speeds though.

Once you get in the 100 mph range the aerodynamics of a car, even a brick like the Challenger, will give them a significant advantage.

I had mine up to 105 myself, it definitely had a little more in her but It was very uncomfortable for me. I weight 155lbs and felt like I was going to be blown off the bike lol. I love speed but when it comes to this bike, I found 75 to be my comfort zone.

This member was very brave, held it WFO until he feared death and/or serious injury! The leading edge of the gas tank does provide a handle to pull yourself forward. Flat trackers use the fork tube on the dirt mile as they wind out at 130MPH. Here Springer beats Scotty and Bubba in 1985. [/url]65HPPJu.jpg?2Also Jay “Underdog” Ridgeway #67 scores style points tipping it in. 9uJhadS.jpg?1

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

That's a good story and I'm glad you lived to tell it but I will probably never find out just how fast I can go. So far I've done 75 and that was plenty for this girl.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Oh, you little lane splitter, you! Springer is a great story. Rookie of the year in 1975, multi time national champion and inducted into the HOF in 2003. His biggest physical problem was an undiagnosed stomach aliment that caused sickness just as the race started! After his recognition in the hall of fame he continued racing until 2006 when a serious wreck in Ohio ended his glorious career. 36 years on two wheels going flat out! He took the crown from King Kenny and remains the greatest of all time! (Ricky Carmichael is the baby GOAT in my humble etcetera, etcetera.)

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

This reminds me of the saying, "There are old motorcyclists and there are bold motorcyclists but there are no old, bold motorcyclists.   8-)

Illegitimi non carborundum

I was in Mexico once and had it up to 107mph. Didn't push it past that... but it still had some room to go. Probably could have hit 120

Lmao yamabob..... why would you embarrass yourself like that? Especially to a guy with a backwards baseball cap in a charger. If ya want to kick some ass low end and top end get a nice and heavy beasty R1 and be a badass, if you want to have some fun cornering, city slicking, commuting, and mountain riding then stick with the FZ07. You can't have both comfort and a badass superbike my friend, you either get comfort and a certain type of fun or you can get more discomfort and a beat 99.9% of vehicles in your area for another type of fun. Can't get both though! :P :'(

"Shoot? I'm a hippie. The only thing I've shot is acid. I heard of a dude snorted it once. Thought his nose was a kangaroo and the moon was a dog! WOOH!" - The Truth (GTA San Andreas)

Personally up until 150 i think the only naked bike i know of that might win a drag race is the Duc Streetfighter 848, but who the hell cares about riding in a strait line anyway, you'll have more fun mastering a bike in corners and turns than you ever will mastering drag times and how quick you can start. IMHO

"Shoot? I'm a hippie. The only thing I've shot is acid. I heard of a dude snorted it once. Thought his nose was a kangaroo and the moon was a dog! WOOH!" - The Truth (GTA San Andreas)

At 62 YO, am I old enough to be old and bold?
I'm glad I could entertain the member who carries women like babies, but please allow me to believe we live in a free society.
When my favorite steed was the 165HP ZX12R there was nothing to compare.
Childish games like show me yours and I'll show you mine can be fun...you should try it sometime!
BTW the Super Duke is the baddest stripper alive.

:Dlol i was just saying that it's kind of ridiculous to be dragging/racing a naked 700cc bike like the FZ07 and expect to win against a what almost 400hp cage when you hit the 100mph+ area then like not believe your eyes and have to ask to double check, especially after owning a zx12r. I mean @ 17 YO even i know that much about physics of bikes and cars to not be surprised by the result of your little "race" there. But hey at 62 YO riding a bike and having some fun GOOD ON YOU MATE! I hope you have many more years of riding in ya! ;):-*

• Premium Member

I remember being a teenager and knowing everything about everything.

Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

• Premium Member
FZ09 or 600rr would have eaten him for lunch. But they're in a whole different world.
Hell even a Street Triple R would have had him, but that's just one of those silly 700cc naked bikes.

This is getting ridiculous guys. Come on i may not know much but I've spend a good part of every day for the past 4 years researching, reading, and watching everything motorcycle related. And sorry to disappoint you old geezers here but the fact of the matter is simply that NAKED bikes aren't made for high speeds, and are simply not stable.

YES the FZ09 and the Triumph STR are in fact able to do more than 130mph+ but they ARE limited to around 130 mph because they are simply unstable at speeds higher than that. And a car that is able to do 140mph+ will smoke it in a drag race once they get into the higher speed range. It's just physics, and it's not rocket science guys. They could probably only be able to smoke a base model 27k$ 300hp v6 charger but any other model charger that just get's quicker from there and can hit 140mph will beat the Street triple, fz09, fz07, and a crap load of most of the naked bikes out there, simply due to the fact once a naked bike get's in that ~130 mph zone it gets unstable due to lack of fairings and the aerodynamics aren't made for speeds like that.

I love motorcycles, and i love all people who ride. But jesus christ people come on all motorcycles are different. If you want to smoke cars on long stretches of road even once y'all pass that ~120-130+ range then get a sportbike with some damn fairings, a windscreen, and an aggressive riding position.

• Premium Member

This will be the last thing I say on the matter then the issue is dropped and we are good. Lenny, your 16 man, your talking like you know this and that but you have people here who have been riding for 20-30 years and have much more experience on a motorcycle than you have in your little finger, hell there are people here a lot more experienced than me and I have been riding for 9 years, I listen to what their input is as it could save me a lot of time or money and maybe prevent something from happening.

It isn't really about if a naked bike is fast, blah blah blah, it irritates me that you talk to other members like that when all you have to go on is Google searches and magazine articles. I don't think you really understand how quick a 700cc bike is, and I really don't want a fellow rider injuring themselves because they think because it's not a 600rr or a GSXR that it's not fast. Pavement doesn't discriminate and we all go down sometime, I just hope you sit back and listen to what people more experienced have to say so when you do go down, it's not bad. Not having experience isn't a bad thing though, we all start somewhere, just be chill man.

• Global Moderator

Okay, I think we have covered this topic enough. Don't make me have to start moderating on ya :).

• Premium Member

You guys gotta start sometime, we have been easy on ya, lol.

Lenny, thanks for the props. I can't help myself, when I hear two down shifts and a big V8 start to roar it is like a the devil's tempting me again. Hey, you can't deny, the super slab can get boring.
My name is Bob, thank you for sharing.

njdevils1990

I feel this bike could easily be capable of 135+mph. In 6th at 5,000rpm I am crusing at 70, only makes sense that at 10,000 you should be doing 140. However, like mentioned earlier, aerodynamics have a huge impact on naked bikes.

2003 Buell XB9R (2011-2011) Crashed
2009 Buell 1125CR (2011-2013) Sold
2015 Yamaha FZ-07 (2014-?) Current

308144.png

Killafornia

I believe the STR can go up to over 150. Our lil bike can do 11s in a 1/4 mile or mybe less, I'm pretty sure it's faster than a lot of cars.

Archived