The MT-07 Forum

Ohlins NIX-22 system

pattonme

Here is the piston:

Active side:

[attachment id=2221" thumbnail="1]

Checkvalve side:

[attachment id=2222" thumbnail="1]

The port arrangement is a bit asymmetrical and there are 4 ports (3.5mm diameter) for compression flow. This is probably responsible for the linear damping curve. In order to get a more compliant digressive damping curve, maybe reshimming is adequate, maybe a different piston. But it would be very nice to find a setup that gives a nice compliant damping curve without having to resort to use a new piston.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JanM they looks just like standard cartridges. They use base and rebound valve like standard cartridges. Oil flow is different to separate adjustability between legs since we don't have adjusters on the bottom of the leg. And they use their own caps.

Yes, I know - it was more meant for the interested potential buyers to see and compare with the other kits that have their own threads...

I reckon that piston has a ~6.3:4 bias. Interesting layout. @janm an R3 kit I presume?
Pity they didn't run the bias the other way for the C leg.

Good lord, they need to find a better grade of machinist! And the faces haven't been lapped flat either.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

It is the FKS204 MT-07/FZ-07 kit.

The pistons are simpler, less refined, than normally seen from Ohlins. There are grind marks on both shim surfaces, fairly coarse so they have been machined, but they should be run on fine abrasive paper.

Cartridge tube is fine, shaft less polished compared to the highend pressurized kits.

The piston can probably be flipped but there is a quite deep recess for the checkvalve which needs to be filled in, maybe with a KYB checkvalve spacer and then use 8mm ID shims and they could even be backed by a blowoff spring... but quite a lot of work to put into it, and a simple reshim would be preferable. Biggest issue probably is that it is 22mm, so new pistons would have to be made as this size does not have many option.

I can have pistons made with the bias the other way for <$20 each. Lead time 20 days.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

The answer to which kit is the best is sort of implied in the threads... you need to figure out which kit is the easiest to modify to your liking.

From reading the other threads the matris didn't seem that good. The Andreani seemed ok but a bit harsh with compression. I was going to wait on pattonme to do a full review of the ohlins.

From this thread I've only been able to ascertain that the machine work isn't top notch, but not sure if that will impact the ride or not?

The machine work is acceptable and will be fine when surfaced. The potential problem with the Ohlins NIX22 kit is in the setting which gives a lot of high speed compression damping, even though the level is less than seen in NIX30. There are several ways to rectify this - IF you see it as a problem. I am quite sure that just fitting the kit as delivered will be an improvement, but due to the added highspeed compression damping, it might be less compliant at abrupt compression damping situations. Making new pistons or fitting different design 22mm pistons from other Ohlins cartridgekits is one way to work around this, another is to add a blowoff feature. Both of these options will increase cost.

So, when comparing to the other kits, they all have their issues. It is my opinion that the best road (and track day) application is Traxxion AK20. But the other kits can all be modified, with added cost, to work better.

In other words, ~US$1200.00 for taxxion, or $620 for ohlins and some mod.

What about the settings bank the ohlins comes with, is there no softer option there?
Clamp shim option?
Check plate float option.
There's got to be an easier/cheaper option than redesigning Pistons etc.

Shims alone won't do it - there is too little flow through the ports to lessen highspeed damping. C5, as delivered, is the softest setting in the setting bank, but of course you can remove shims or add float to get a softer damping, but it will still show an increase in highspeed damping and when softer you loose the lowspeed control.

It is definitely a good option to fit a different piston, especially if outside USA where Traxxion kits tend to be quite expensive.

Strange that they are asymmetric design in the comp direction it looks like it acts as a two port system.
What about retaining the face shims and decreasing the back up shims? Preload shims, Lower visc fluid?

I'm really trying to save the ohlins here. But looks disappointing.
What are the cost of better 22 mm Pistons, what source ?

I'm still awaiting the which is best answer... Andreani, Matris, or Ohlins :) 
Or should we just get fork springs for now!? :)

No quick solution, unless you open your check book, I'd be inclined to go with Cogent DDC drop in valves at a paltry US$180 plus postage, Springs will be fine up to 180# rider.

Strange that they are asymmetric design in the comp direction it looks like it acts as a two port system. What about retaining the face shims and decreasing the back up shims? Preload shims, Lower visc fluid?

I'm really trying to save the ohlins here. But looks disappointing.
What are the cost of better 22 mm Pistons, what source ?
Lower visc is a band-aid (I use it on the NIX-30 installs simply because I haven't had the luxury of time to redo it) and it'll buy you time. 
I have my CNC guy run off the pistons. He does a commendable job.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• 8 months later...
  • Premium Member
howworkclutch

just circling back around after having the nix22 and ohlins rear shock for awhile...

i feel i got good value for my money. if i wanted more performance i'd go buy a 675r

the stock suspension was absolutely lousy for me. i felt like i was riding around on a stiff marshmallow. one of those dried up ones that you find in multicolored breakfast cereal. it was hard until it wasnt and then it was just too soft. i hated the stock suspension.

the ohlins stuff rides real nice on NC's craptastic road surfaces. because of the heat and rolling hills, we have a lot of rippled road surface (road get soft in the heat. heavy truck applies break on downhill. trucks suspension oscillates causing indentations in asphalt. the next truck does the same. rinse. repeat.)

harsh bumps mid-curve are no big deal. the bike seems planted. you can find a grove in a corner and ride it drama-free. i dont push the envelope because i'm getting old but the bike rides so much better that i'm finding myself carrying more corner speed naturally. my left toe touched asphalt yesterday: totally surprised me because i wasn't trying to go fast. the more i ride it the less i think about my speed.

my weight was specified when i ordered. the vendor chose the springs for me. whatever they sent works.

i would make this purchase again. honestly i wish my gal would get ride of that damned ducati moneypit and adopt an new fz07 so i can actually make this purchase again.

-HowWorkClutch

• 5 months later...
heartofperformance
On 5/23/2017 at 10:54 PM, howworkclutch said:

just circling back around after having the nix22 and ohlins rear shock for awhile...

i feel i got good value for my money. if i wanted more performance i'd go buy a 675r

the stock suspension was absolutely lousy for me. i felt like i was riding around on a stiff marshmallow. one of those dried up ones that you find in multicolored breakfast cereal. it was hard until it wasnt and then it was just too soft. i hated the stock suspension.

the ohlins stuff rides real nice on NC's craptastic road surfaces. because of the heat and rolling hills, we have a lot of rippled road surface (road get soft in the heat. heavy truck applies break on downhill. trucks suspension oscillates causing indentations in asphalt. the next truck does the same. rinse. repeat.)

harsh bumps mid-curve are no big deal. the bike seems planted. you can find a grove in a corner and ride it drama-free. i dont push the envelope because i'm getting old but the bike rides so much better that i'm finding myself carrying more corner speed naturally. my left toe touched asphalt yesterday: totally surprised me because i wasn't trying to go fast. the more i ride it the less i think about my speed.

my weight was specified when i ordered. the vendor chose the springs for me. whatever they sent works.

i would make this purchase again. honestly i wish my gal would get ride of that damned ducati moneypit and adopt an new fz07 so i can actually make this purchase again.

Is it the: 

Öhlins Cartridge Kit NIX 22

FKS-20400-00-00

+

Öhlins Rear Shock STX 46

YA4-19000-00-00

?

My apology for asking.

Archived