The MT-07 Forum

Ohlins NIX-22 system

pattonme

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just *try* getting Hard to actually ship the product. Ohlins internal calendar for release from manufacturing is 4/22 for the FZ07, and 4/29 for most other bikes. Source is as of this morning.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

The NIX-22 (to USA) is delayed till mid/late June. The first shipment is already sold out. I do not know when the next one will be.

FWIW Graves Yamaha chose the Andreani over the NIX-22 for their R3 Works racer project.
See SportRider current issue - Page 20.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Owners manual now published on the Ohlins website, but no news about a new confirmed delivery date. They are delayed as expected, as usual, and no information, as usual. Reminds of the time I waited 8 months for an Ohlins shock with weekly follow-up calls and every time given a song...

I might sound a bit disappointed, but I really don't think that the Ohlins overselling strategy and general marketing approach deserves positive words. Products usually top notch quality, good looking and really nice to work on, technical backup and support is fine with good documentation, available spareparts and different settings, but sales and marketing really sucks with overhyping and not delivering. Oh well...

https://www.ohlins.com/document/57862/

I still look forward to get the kit and test it, though.

I see these kits available to buy from ebay (europe) now - but I really want to see a review before I do that...

Very nice manual, for sure.

The laws of fluid dynamics still apply - The Andreani is basically the same system and performance reviews were not resounding. I would hope Ohlins did better simulations and testing. The competition is $500-600 though which makes the premium a tough sell.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Another small step - the setting bank for NIX22 has been published on the dealer website. It suggests three settings for compression shimstacks and three settings for rebound shimstacks. The compression force values are less than the softer shimstacks given in the NIX30 setting bank and they have less lowspeed compression, when comparing the two curves. Rebound uses "normal" force values, again with less lowspeed compared to the NIX30. Seems like a step in the right direction, less compression and similar rebound.

No info on how the bleed adjuster affects the damping curves as all damping curves are with 12 click adjuster setting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Workshop manual, mounting instruction, specification card, settting bank, spring recommendation all available - the kit is delayed again, expected delivery during July...

The pics make it pretty clear it's a 2-piston setup; if they were SMART they would have made it a 3-piston config like Matris did with the F12K on the FZ09. Also, if you want one of these, best to put your money down and get into the queue because otherwise the 2nd alotment (whenever it shows up) is going to get sold out pretty quickly.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Swedish retailer says July 1st is the date they've currently got from Öhlins. I doubt it will hold up though, 1st any month is in my experience just a placeholder.

PRICE REDUCTION!! They are now $699 (MSRP) *with* the springs.

The USA batch landed a couple days ago but are already pre-sold. The distributor will be doing a dyno and expert racer based comparison between the Andreani and NIX-22 in the coming weeks.

If you want dibs on the 2nd batch I'll take a deposit toward earnest money if you like so you can at least get allocated a unit.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Also, the units are NOT being made in Sweden but rather Asia - probably Thailand like some of their shocks are...

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Also, the units are NOT being made in Sweden but rather Asia - probably Thailand like some of their shocks are...
Explains the pricing, let's hope it doesn't influence the quality.

I just put in an order for 2 kits (and also for the R3) so I can get them. My contact is basically buying every US-bound unit. Since the demand is so strong I dont' have to discount, but for you fine denizens of the board I'll do something: big discount on installation, or a $50 voucher good at time of purchase (or future)...

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

We have received your order. Unfortunately the Fork Kit is on nationwide backorder.

ETA is 7-10 days.

-HowWorkClutch

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

Supposed to arrive tomorrow. Should be able to pick em up Friday morning.

Will install at weekend and post thoughts after racking up some smiles.

-HowWorkClutch

Supposed to arrive tomorrow. Should be able to pick em up Friday morning.  
Will install at weekend and post thoughts after racking up some smiles.
Excellent, just got word that my kit is at the distributor and I shall receive it Monday. But I don't have a bike to put it in, so it shall be interesting to see how @howworkclutch likes it. I saw some pictures of the actual production kits, a bit different to usual Ohlins quality and the promotion pictures, but still an interesting piece of kit and it is the performance that counts, right?! The general design and layout looks good (direct bolt on, no mods required and it is reversible) the NIX system is good, it can probably be improved by adding a blowoff valve.  

The units will be in my hot little hands either Sat or Monday. The pictorial review should be available late next week (x-fingers).

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

according to the documentation, installation requires a pull-up tool and a stopper plate tool. i have neither. should make an interesting night in the shop.

-HowWorkClutch

The pull-up tool is just a piece of rod with an internal threaded hole, M8x1.25 app. 10mm deep (check thread pitch, it could be 1mm but unlikely) and the stopper plate tool is a piece of flat stock with a 8.2mm to 8.5mm slot cut in it, design and function is quite clear from the pictures in the Mounting Instructions. So quite easy to make yourself, if you have a drill, tap, saw and file etc in the correct dimensions - good luck.

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

Didn't need either. Getting the old damper tube out sucked though. I ended up driving a bit of pine down into it from the top. That gave me something to hold it with.

And of course that meant a lot of cleansing and flushing. I hate not having the proper tools to do something.

I went an extra two clicks soft on all the adjusters
(Btw I put the nix22 on and changed to the ohlins rear shock).

It's a very pleasant, compliant, easy to like suspension. Installing it will remove a lot of suck from the bike.

Worth the price of admission.

-HowWorkClutch

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

correction: one click softer than the manual recommends is where i have it. i wasn't in full gear. just out putting around in helmet/gloves/sneakers.

-HowWorkClutch

Archived