The MT-07 Forum

Ohlins NIX-22 system

pattonme

@robsoup wrote:

NIX22 for the MT-07 seems to be available now - and not a bad price either at approx €640 (£470 / $685):

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KIT-CARTUCCIA-OHLINS-NIX-22MM-YAMAHA-MT-07-2014-2016-/161918748083?hash=item25b31c05b3:g:AWAAAOSwNyFWb88o

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is my reply to above post from the Andreani cartridge thread:

"Would be nice if the kits were already available. I ordered a kit through the official channels when the kits were announced and has been told that the kits will be available around March 2016 (and that might be a little optimistic). Please note that the kits might not be delivered with springs and the new NIX22 kits also uses a new partnumber for the springs - this partnumber is not yet in the spring assortment or in the recommendation list, so can not be ordered yet.

When comparing prices please remember that WRS are registered in San Marino (outside EU) so you risk having to pay custom fees and VAT on top of the purchase price - it is not clear if the price for the NIX22 kit is including fork springs as delivered from WRS, so ask questions before ordering...

I agree with pattonme that there should be a new thread for the NIX22 kit - please feel free to move this post."

Further, the images in the ebay-listing "are representative of quality only and not of the actual product" - in fact, the images are of a FKA-kit for trailbikes. But I digress, it is good to have a separate thread for the NIX22 kit.

So far, Ohlins has only published some product news and spring rate and preload selection info for dealers, according to the product news there shall also be a setting bank with different damping setups to choose from if the customer wants a change.

Here is part of a picture from the product news:
http://i.imgur.com/nMU7o3v.png

• Premium Member

Wow, Ohlins cartridge kits?  Never saw that coming!  Although my bike has been set up for a good while now I haven't really been looking...

But now that Ohlins has a cartridge solution, I have to ask...price differences aside, how do they compare to the Traxxion Dynamics AK20's?

-  Paulie

Well, as the Ohlins kit is not yet available nobody really knows how it works (which is the important thing, right?!) we can only make a comparison based on the description. Mind that the Traxxion AK-20 kits have a good reputation and Ohlins usually provide good quality and their products can be worked with. I am not a "out of the box", one setting for all, max performance believer...

Both kits are described as having compression adjustability in one leg, rebound adjustability in the other and spring preload adjustment in both.

The systems are very different though:

Ohlins NIX system uses a single piston in each leg, each oriented in their designated damping direction and having a needle as lowspeed damping adjustability.

Traxxion AK-20, as fitted to damperrod forks, uses two similar cartridges having two pistons in each leg and having the same damping setup, but the lowspeed damping needlecircuits are different between the legs, one is setup for rebound adjustability and the other for compression adjustability.

When fitting the kits, it seems that the Ohlins kit is a simple bolt on and Traxxion AK-20 requires removal (permanently) of the checkvalve in the stanchion for the damperrod - this means that the Ohlins NIX22 kit mod is reversible, the Traxxion AK-20 kit is not. This could mean something when reselling the bike and is similar to the difference between the cartridgekits from Matris and Andreani, btw.

The Traxxion AK-20 kit works solely on roddisplacement for compression damping, which usually means a smooth operation good for road use and the Ohlins NIX setup as seen in the NIX30 kits can suffer from excessive highspeed compression damping as the shimmed piston is moved through the full oil column for compression damping - these are considerations based on the technology only and not based on actual damping setups tested in a bike.

As always, fitting a catridge kit (or other fork work) should be done as part of a full bike setup including the shock.

I am really looking forward to see what Ohlins has come up with for the NIX22 kit compared to the NIX30.

Very good description @janm. The NIX-22 will probably suffer the same problems the Andreani does. I expect the same fixes I do to the Andreani will apply. Fit and Finish of the Ohlins should be superior to Andreani.

My Showa retrofit is on-par with Traxxion's (except bling factor) in performance since it too uses 4 pistons. Traxxion figured out a neat way to do compression adjustment at the cap whereas mine is inside the bolt so a bit more difficult to get to, but in real life not a big deal.

I asked my Ohlins contact again today about ETA on the NIX-22, he said "ha!"

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member

Thank you so much for all the info! I'm quite happy with my suspension solution, but its nice to have other players in the market as well :)

- Paulie

Yes, separate purchase is Ohlins' way. I sell the NIX-30 system (for FZ/FJ09) and the springs are $150 MSRP. I don't see why a set of Sonic's wouldn't work modulo making the spacers. If you want to see NIX-30 pricing http://tinyurl.com/zue3k5b. I *might* be able to fit it into a FZ07 fork set if the cap has enough meat to machine away (vs 50mm application).

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Very interested but I have my setup with Matts forks and as I am not racing and they work well ( still a bit of high speed compression harshness to tun out), I will be sticking with them. Besides the internals have been gutted so if the Ohlins setup need em I am prob stuffed.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

The Nix-22 only 'needs' them for top-out spring purposes. That can be solved by using an internal top-out spring. How much room there is inside the cartridge for taking away 20mm of travel I don't know but I suspect there's enough. If nothing else you can pull an Andreani and use a fat o-ring and call it a day.

> still a bit of high speed compression harshness to tun out

Damn, really?!? I live in perpetual fear that folks regard them as too soft since they are so accustomed to being jack-hammered and being told it's called "feedback".

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Try hitting a cane train line at 100kph...

It is still possible that the remaining harshness is the stock Bridgies. Unusual for Bridges to be harsh, but this almost feel like Dunlops. Michelin Road pilots 4's soon I hope.

Try hitting a cane train line at 100kph... 

wth is that? you mean railroad crossings? What size square edge bump are we talking? 

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Cane train lines are smaller and closer together than full size train lines. They are required by law to be inset, not proud, where they cross roads because that rarely cross at right angles ( part of the reason there are so many cane train accidents). The problem is that you get a long pothole followed by another long pothole the full width of the road. The width is often 6 or 8 inches ( sometimes more) AND the road sinks on either side of the concrete so you get 2 or 4 ( if concrete for each line instead of for both in one) up and down ridges as well as the line groove. And they are everywhere and anywhere because they go between the cane farms to the mills. On anything other than major roads they are unmarked unless there has been a number of accidents there.
The outer ridges are usually only a centimeter or two , but the line groove can be 4 to 8 cm. deep.

Good to suspension testing in a straight line.

a 1" square bump at 60mph is ~250in/sec shaft rate for 17" wheels. you're talking 2-3" which for a street forks is some *serious* shaft velocity. You need dirt-bike style valving if you hope to hit those and not feel a nice jolt. A 2-stage comp circuit and bigger orifices will be needed.

So what you're saying is you want my 30mm kit.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

I noticed computrackboston.com sells the Ohlins NIX 22 system for around $1121 (ouch!) installed on your FZ-07 forks. This price includes additional parts they provide to make it work for the FZ-07 installation. Their fork policy is that they must do the install of the NIX-22 cartridge system to your forks, they do not sell the NIX-22 system to DIY customers.  If interested, check out their website I listed previously.

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

And this is why Forks by Matt is the best value for the dollar.

SigSide.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The product will be available early May here in USA, sayeth my contact.

MSRP = 765+120 (spring) = 885
I should be able to do the combo for less than 750.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

It won't be available for sale till May. SportbikeTrackGear's website listing notwithstanding.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Archived