The MT-07 Forum

Has anyone managed to fit universal handguards?

zombiphone

Not sure if my phone is messing up, but the link won't open for me. I'll try when I get home. I was looking at the clamp options myself

• Premium Member

@caliesv it might me be phone because I just tried it again and it worked. I also placed an order so I can add my own pics here once I get them, it probably won't be until middle of next week as they are shipping ground.

@caliesv it might me be phone because I just tried it again and it worked. I also placed an order so I can add my own pics here once I get them, it probably won't be until middle of next week as they are shipping ground.
Nice man

Anyone tried these?? 
Acerbis 2142000001 Rally Pro X-Strong -http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000GVC9YI?th=1&psc=1

They fit on any 7/8" bars and seem like they are of good quality.

I'm new here, haven't got my bike yet. But looking around for accessories, lol.

Thanks guys!!
I like those too. I owned some and they busted much bark and held up well. They probably saved me the price of a few sets of levers. I thought an extension mounting bracket was needed to make these dirt bike hand guards work with FZ-07 street switch gear.  Zeta offers one that works with their product.Does Acerbis offer one?

Acerbis has a bunch of mounts for handlebars, but I wouldn't know which one suits this bike since I don't have one yet :/

But that acerbis model looks awesome and they also have 2 mounts.

I got the Zetas in the mail yesterday. Gonna hopefully figure out how exactly to get them mounted after work today. Will report back with hopefully a success story and not just a destroyed bar end, haha

Published 'Chronicles of a Motorcycle Gypsy' a book about my travels on the FZ, and a writer for Motorcyclist Magazine

I went with the Acerbis LEDs. I don't have much info on them at the time, nor great pictures. But I'll post what I have. Note that they are bar end mounted. I custom-made inside mounting by reinforcing it with 2" emt conduit clamps bent to bolt onto the available screw on the side of the headlight case. I then drilled a hole through the guard at the very inside and bolted with a wing nut. This provide great stability and prevents the guards from falling (rotating) downward while going over bumps. 5f21f325d87993c9fca1c4c46b141a93.jpge7daaa1826bdb6a21863dbfbf61e8054.jpg7d2252bddae9ee238b3884e4880d7bf4.jpg4364b3da2c65fbef15e1de779e366856.jpg11c785d71a91e95a200c476756ea5125.jpg74f50c2476e4d50e3ed3c2575ec6f7ed.jpg

I got the Zetas in the mail yesterday. Gonna hopefully figure out how exactly to get them mounted after work today. Will report back with hopefully a success story and not just a destroyed bar end, haha
Any luck?

Oh, sorry! I talked about these on my build thread and just remembered I still need to update this thread. The zetas were a bit tougher to fit than I expected, partially because I didn't have a drill press (I bought one from harbor freight, and it was terrible even by harbor freight standards) so I ended up dropping off my bar ends with a friend who had a shop and a legitimate quality drill press. He did the drilling and tapping for me so the bolts could be screwed into the bar ends.

The bolts that came with the zetas are a bit long though, so while they're quite secure on there right now, I'll likely cut them down or replace them with slightly shorter bolts at some point (For the record, the zetas use an M8 bolt, which requires a 17/64th drill bit in case anyone else is ever looking to do this and is also new to tapping threads). I also had to ever so slightly rotate the controls on both sides in order to fit the internal clamp, which I'm still working on perfecting the new angles for the clutch and brake lever.

Other small note, the bar end side doesn't fit totally flat against the weight due to the shape of the bar, but it's not that noticeable once everything is tightened down. In trying to fit them, ultimately it was fairly obvious that these were not technically made for the bike, BUT, they do fit, the added wind protection is instantly noticeable, and they do provide both a bar clamp and bar end mount that doesn't require losing the bar end weights (And thus losing a bit of vibration dampening) that should make for some quite beefy protection from mishaps. They're also still quite attractive in their blurple glory, despite the minor fitment issues. All in all, I think the functionality forgives any of the slight imperfections.

I'll get some better pictures once I've swapped out the bolts for ones that are the appropriate length and can more accurately represent the final fitment, but for now:

12728779_10207201504534042_4693118834626090685_n.jpg?oh=1852bf7a18e666cff66179382b0b54ad&oe=57687DFA  
6d83ca13-1164-4991-9c65-0dfbee304d4d.jpg
12717690_10207201504774048_7308845539694774532_n.jpg?oh=791673ecdd12deb1fb15ca450f149784&oe=57380F76

Published 'Chronicles of a Motorcycle Gypsy' a book about my travels on the FZ, and a writer for Motorcyclist Magazine

I went with the Acerbis LEDs. I don't have much info on them at the time, nor great pictures. But I'll post what I have. Note that they are bar end mounted. I custom-made inside mounting by reinforcing it with 2" emt conduit clamps bent to bolt onto the available screw on the side of the headlight case. I then drilled a hole through the guard at the very inside and bolted with a wing nut. This provide great stability and prevents the guards from falling (rotating) downward while going over bumps. 5f21f325d87993c9fca1c4c46b141a93.jpge7daaa1826bdb6a21863dbfbf61e8054.jpg7d2252bddae9ee238b3884e4880d7bf4.jpg4364b3da2c65fbef15e1de779e366856.jpg11c785d71a91e95a200c476756ea5125.jpg74f50c2476e4d50e3ed3c2575ec6f7ed.jpg
I just want to say that, while I ultimately went with the zetas, I LOVE how sci-fi these look on your bike <3 Also, super clever on the internal mount. I was wondering how tough it would be to fab one on some of the setups actually made for the FZ. Looks great!

I MIGHT go with these.

Zeta Titanium Lever Guard ZS72-1008 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T6IZMZU/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_NhIVwbTNXPHB5

I have the cheap ones right now just to see if I liked them. And I do. So I might go with a better build version.

I split lanes a lot and I'm more worried about a mirror catching my break lever than anything else.

Thanks zombie! Is the bar metal somewhat bendable?
Nope, definitely doesn't seem very bendable. Which is good, considering their purpose. But inconvenient for the purpose of perfect fitment. The lever guard should be fine if you're just looking for accidental lever contact type protection. I have the woodcraft version on my race bike. The handguards are just if you are also worried about the wind and crash protection, which I only am because I want to take this into some adverse situations. 

Archived