The MT-07 Forum

Has anyone managed to fit universal handguards?

zombiphone

So, I know the stock bars on the FZ are supposedly internally threaded, which limits the options for handguards by a lot, but has anyone found a good way to make universal handguards work in the bar ends? If so, is it complicated to make it work?

I've been avoiding pulling the trigger on the SW motech kobras just because they're pricey for what they are and only have a single mounting point for the backbone. I want the protection of a full aluminum backbone like I have on my mini (which has some moose racing backbones), so I don't really want to go with the powermadd guards either, since they offer even less protection. Anyone have some better options than these two that'll work?

Published 'Chronicles of a Motorcycle Gypsy' a book about my travels on the FZ, and a writer for Motorcyclist Magazine

So, I know the stock bars on the FZ are supposedly internally threaded, which limits the options for handguards by a lot, but has anyone found a good way to make universal handguards work in the bar ends? If so, is it complicated to make it work?  
I've been avoiding pulling the trigger on the SW motech kobras just because they're pricey for what they are and only have a single mounting point for the backbone. I want the protection of a full aluminum backbone like I have on my mini (which has some moose racing backbones), so I don't really want to go with the powermadd guards either, since they offer even less protection. Anyone have some better options than these two that'll work?

I ordered these http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EQ9MZAE/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1452025357&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX118_SY170_QL70&keywords=Bark+busters+storms they have expanders that expand a tube of metal which grips your threads and how them in there they did not mess up any of my threads after I tried them.on once so if those have a similar mounting hardware it will work.

I just drilled and tapped the factory bar end weights and bought new bolts on my bike to fit my zeta xc2 handguards

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered these http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EQ9MZAE/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1452025357&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX118_SY170_QL70&keywords=Bark+busters+storms they have expanders that expand a tube of metal which grips your threads and how them in there they did not mess up any of my threads after I tried them.on once so if those have a similar mounting hardware it will work.
Any pics of them installed? ☺

• Premium Member
c330bcf4319bad91e0990e485f763c17.jpg3002a12c5b9a52aa9a78a788211b3791.jpga60d376512b5c04a2a7cbb07872541eb.jpg0a4bbd2e360caa95ce3834afe5bdec1b.jpg52108dc636d1c6259122d25b9cbce770.jpg63fd8fda49f0496768fc4b3d0d99ae5c.jpg052081d50b676ba3780e179dfdf7ee94.jpgcac8530c07bf084aaa4f65db871289d0.jpgeff5ba8253ca871923e668d04d152913.jpg

Here a few pictures of my BarkBuster "Storm" setup, it works well against the wind and the rain too. I hope these pictures help.

Man... Nice! OK, not to be all pushy, but can you take a pic from further away of the front? Lol if not it's all good.

Are the mounting hardware separate? I like the "on bar" type mounts. Maybe a link?

• Premium Member
aaf617e6856320e2b876b63884315b1e.jpg46cea71a7aacceb39e07faaa7dddc8fd.jpg275dcf5c870a793c39601a1ce0eb8575.jpg6163bd72f8f63eb42118b38cec680ef1.jpgdc36e6cce30d632353199a6c2f915de2.jpg64c0e5c400932592e9a7acc558305fe3.jpgb8d025a864dedad807c3a2c830655688.jpgdec80cbb430383cfcf02c2f4a07a3e3c.jpg325dd03b7fc4dc18889e0dc25a4ee8ee.jpgbbb3cff73b9e45b4f7813edaf800392b.jpg825a29d3fed7c49120e872933cbe9525.jpge833f1bfeedca6254808dd527c057e9c.jpg

Sorry, I had no space in the garage, but for a fellow FZ07 rider , we will go to the extreme and get him the pictures, I hope these outside pictures help you

Nice. Thanks man. An organized garage means a well taken care of bike in my book. Did the guards come with the bar clamp mount or was that separate?

• Premium Member

Nice. Thanks man. An organized garage means a well taken care of bike in my book. Did the guards come with the bar clamp mount or was that separate?

Mine came with the clams to be mounted on the inside of the bar (as you could see from the pictures), I know they also make one for the outside mounting, a good place to check is revzilla, they have different kind of guards.

As for my garage....!!!, you are correct, it needs some cleaning up.

Mine came with the clams to be mounted on the inside of the bar (as you could see from the pictures), I know they also make one for the outside mounting, a good place to check is revzilla, they have different kind of guards. 
As for my garage....!!!, you are correct, it needs some cleaning up.
Lol thanks
I was saying your garage looks organized btw.

recurveshooter
@slow06er - How are those hand guards when you're doing 70? Just being supported from one end I'm wondering if they flap around any. Thanks - recurveshooter

I looove the look of the powermadds, but I really wish they had more of a backbone. Same with the Storms. The big motivator for me is about 50% wind protection and about 50% crash protection. The more I look at this stuff, It looks like barkbuster and swmotech's fz-09 kits use both mounting points though. if you guys can fit both a clam style and a bar end style on there individually, I wonder if I could fit both at once with a full backbone.

Published 'Chronicles of a Motorcycle Gypsy' a book about my travels on the FZ, and a writer for Motorcyclist Magazine

I just drilled and tapped the factory bar end weights and bought new bolts on my bike to fit my zeta xc2 handguards
Are these basically what you got? http://www.amazon.com/Zeta-Aluminum-Handguards-Handlebars-Black/dp/B001LV4KCG/ref=pd_sim_263_5?ie=UTF8&dpID=31i7e4c80yL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1QHY0BXYGH0E819R11ZX 
No clearance issues with the levers or anything? That doesn't sound too bad to fit

Not sure why I never got notifications that this thread had replies until now ^^;;

Are these basically what you got? http://www.amazon.com/Zeta-Aluminum-Handguards-Handlebars-Black/dp/B001LV4KCG/ref=pd_sim_263_5?ie=UTF8&dpID=31i7e4c80yL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1QHY0BXYGH0E819R11ZX 
No clearance issues with the levers or anything? That doesn't sound too bad to fit

Not sure why I never got notifications that this thread had replies until now ^^;;

Anyone wanna be the guinea pig? Lol I'd love to have these on my bike

Oh hey! I didn't know you were on here, Lea! HI!

Those zetas are actually pretty ridiculously sexy installed. I think I'm gonna go order a set right now and make it work, because the price is right and it's the only set I'm seeing with both a bar end and handlebar clamp mount (Opposed to just one or the other)

Oh hey! I didn't know you were on here, Lea! HI!  
Those zetas are actually pretty ridiculously sexy installed. I think I'm gonna go order a set right now and make it work, because the price is right and it's the only set I'm seeing with both a bar end and handlebar clamp mount (Opposed to just one or the other)
Pictures! Can't wait. ☺

Hi Tiff! I am only here once a month or so. Greenhound [HASH]386 is also on here. If you get those sexy Zeta's installed, post up a pic!  I may have to copy you. :)

I looove the look of the powermadds, but I really wish they had more of a backbone. Same with the Storms. The big motivator for me is about 50% wind protection and about 50% crash protection. The more I look at this stuff, It looks like barkbuster and swmotech's fz-09 kits use both mounting points though. if you guys can fit both a clam style and a bar end style on there individually, I wonder if I could fit both at once with a full backbone.

You can add on a sidebar mount from powermadd to give better protection like other handguards.

Anyone tried these??

Acerbis 2142000001 Rally Pro X-Strong -http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000GVC9YI?th=1&psc=1

They fit on any 7/8" bars and seem like they are of good quality.

I'm new here, haven't got my bike yet. But looking around for accessories, lol.

Thanks guys!!

Anyone tried these?? 
Acerbis 2142000001 Rally Pro X-Strong -http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000GVC9YI?th=1&psc=1

They fit on any 7/8" bars and seem like they are of good quality.

I'm new here, haven't got my bike yet. But looking around for accessories, lol.

Thanks guys!!
I like those too. I owned some and they busted much bark and held up well. They probably saved me the price of a few sets of levers. I thought an extension mounting bracket was needed to make these dirt bike hand guards work with FZ-07 street switch gear.  Zeta offers one that works with their product.Does Acerbis offer one?

• Premium Member

@slow06er - How are those hand guards when you're doing 70? Just being supported from one end I'm wondering if they flap around any. Thanks - recurveshooter
They do just fine at 70 mph or even a little bet higher " I don't often go past 85 mph "

• Premium Member

I found a link to a set of Storm handguards that mount only at one end, this is great because i like my bar end mirrors

Archived