The MT-07 Forum

Anyone Feel No Need for a Tail Tidy?

Guest 2wheeler

$100 to make the bike look way better is an easy spend. Suspension is great but either you have that kind of money or don't and if you need to not spend $100 to save for $1500 ish worth of suspension you don't have that kind of money.

It's all about priorities, looks vs performance. Just caz i can afford it doesn't mean I'm going to waste my money on something I don't want.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member

[div]I'm going to say impartial on the tail tidy. The fender looks alright. The lights could be better. The exhaust could be better, and is now better (installed Delkevic carbon fiber). So, yeah everyone has different priorities and the fender would probably lower on the list of items to improve imo[/div]

$100 to make the bike look way better is an easy spend. Suspension is great but either you have that kind of money or don't and if you need to not spend $100 to save for $1500 ish worth of suspension you don't have that kind of money.
Precisely. 
I should spend $100 now on looks because I can't afford the $1500 suspension upgrade I really want.

• Premium Member

I was going to leave the tail alone, but couldn't resist the tail tidy for ~$40 from creese on ebay.

inexpensive (not cheap) and I got it for something to do in the winter when I was itching for a ride.

Whatever floats your boat, do what you want.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

I love the stock plate holder. I just swapped out the pumpkins for some led lights. May take off plate light next and replace with a small light bar.

Boom

The rear fender is referred as the "Enterprise" by the OEM haters ;) . And it does it for me. I am biased, I love the Enterprise P-) .
In my case, this bike is almost good as-is (suspension and the location of the horn need to be addressed).
I also like the rear fender as I have a Givi case on my FZ, and as it is a short bike, the Enterprise give it some nice elongation.
I am also an extremely practical person, so look is certainly not a priority for me, just plain practicality, as I use my FZ mainly for commuting and some rare fun rides.
So NO tail tidy for me.

• 1 month later...

I really hated the looks of the rear fender from the first moment I saw it. A tail tidy was the second mod I did, after the addition of the top case. However the stock fender combined with the huge EU license plates does perform as a mud flap. There is a lot more water reaching the bottom of the top case whenever I pass over wet roads.

Now I'm hoping that someone will produce a mud flap for the bike, something similar to the one for the Aprilia Mana, just a little smaller
http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=127506&d=1266893296

You're not the only one. I just shortened mine a bit. 8f75a4cb3ea4f23f8799c7fce2a8a3fe.jpg
Hate to break it to you, that's still a tail tidy even though you chopped the oem.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

twowheeladdict

I will keep the stock tail, and add additional lighting. Going to add Skenedesign LED running / brake lights on both sides of the plate. I don't need to attract women. I have a Harley for that. ;-)

2015 FZ-07

• 2 weeks later...

Shortly after getting my bike, another rider rear ended me. The tail took the brunt and the license plate holder chipped a little bit, but better than my back tire or a tail light. I'm with you on keeping it.

• Premium Member

i removed that parachute of a license plate holder... a clean rear end is a happy rear end...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Global Moderator
I really hated the looks of the rear fender from the first moment I saw it. A tail tidy was the second mod I did, after the addition of the top case. However the stock fender combined with the huge EU license plates does perform as a mud flap. There is a lot more water reaching the bottom of the top case whenever I pass over wet roads. 
Now I'm hoping that someone will produce a mud flap for the bike, something similar to the one for the Aprilia Mana, just a little smaller
http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=127506&d=1266893296
There are a few companies out there that make them
they're relatively expensive for what you get and the workmanship seems to be rather shoddy

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

I was happy either way. I didnt think the stock fender looked that bad compared to what they used to look like. I would have kept mine except for the fact that I'm an impulse buyer(this is how I got my bike, lol). I wanted to doing something with my bike one day and the dealer happened to have a Yoshi in stock locally. Now if only someone would have ohlin forks in stock. Haha.

There are a few companies out there that make them they're relatively expensive for what you get and the workmanship seems to be rather shoddy

I have found only this one which doesn't look pretty and inhibits the use of rear sliders
link

Can you provide any other links?

• Global Moderator
There are a few companies out there that make them they're relatively expensive for what you get and the workmanship seems to be rather shoddy

I have found only this one which doesn't look pretty and inhibits the use of rear sliders link

Can you provide any other links?

http://anunaki-parts.com/en/yamaha-fz-07-mt-07/202-double-leg-splashguard-yamaha-fz-07-mt-07.html
came across this one... wasnt one of.my original finds... maybe this'll do ya?
theyve got some interesting other items for ouf bikes as well

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

I like the stock setup just fine. And it leaves more room for an under tail dual exhaust....

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Guest 2wheeler

My best reply to this thread has got to be from cassecou which called the whole tail section the "Enterprise". That is so perfect, and I have been calling it that ever since.

I have not changed my stance since I started this thread - I like the way it looks in stock form!

I have always liked Star Trek, so with the "Enterprise" having my back, I have no fear of Cling-Ons, or being sucked into the Cruiser Borg :D

First modification I made. Saw it on the showroom floor and said that things gotta go. Like raceblue I tried adapting the oem piece to fit under the tail,but had problems with tire clearence. Finally did the right thing and ordered a kit.
Vagabond Motorsports VM-Y720 uses oem turn signals and license light,so it keeps the cost down,and no cutting factory wiring. Now thats the way it should have looked from the factory.

@raceblue what was your procedure in modding your "tidytail"?

@barneyfife I do like that tidytail, though the stock tail doesnt bother me at this point.

Im still infatuated with the bike so "flaws" are easy to overlook at this point I guess. Except for the mirrors and not being able to see behind me!

Am undecided at this point, so I will be keeping my Enterprise for some time.

Archived