The MT-07 Forum

Anyone Feel No Need for a Tail Tidy?

Guest 2wheeler

Guest 2wheeler

Am I the only one on this website who actually likes the stock setup for the license plate holder and turn signals???

It's funny to me how EVERYONE seems to want to install a tail tidy first thing on this bike. I actually like that thing hanging out there, and think it looks decent. I think that safety wise, it's advantageous having the depth between the tail light and the turn signals/plate light as well as giving greater separation between the turn signals.

I'm sure I might hear some scheisse over this one, but what the heck, it's the New Year.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
wickedtwister

If you want to put tail bags on the bike it may be useful otherwise its a tumor as Randy stated.

It's nice to see someone take up an unpopular position and with a good reason. Safety is often less of a concern that appearance for motorcyclists. Good for you 2wheeler. 8-)
Having said that, I am planning some sort of modification to my rear fender. I will have reflectors and proper lighting but It won't be as ugly as stock. :D

Fear not, I actually agree with you even though I opted for a tail tidy. The separation and brightness are things I had to consider when purchasing a tail tidy, I felt there's a safety factor involved there as well but lately I feel no matter what you put on your bike or your person there's always that one moron that can still hurt or kill you. 

Beemer

• Premium Member

I was in your shoes for about 6 months and the it dawned on me one day just how unsightly it is. After installing an Ermax I was really pleased with the look compared to oem.

Give it time my friend. ;)

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

There is the Genuine Yamaha Accessory Tail Tidy which allows you to adjust the length of how far the plate goes out. It also has the nice MT symbol on the plate light.

SigSide.jpg

• Premium Member
xcarbonsteelx

I'm another one who hated it. I personally feel it took away from the aesthetics of the tail of the FZ-07. So glad I got the Yoshimura.

- xCarbonSteelx

Not only am I ok with the tail as it is but I like the quiet exhaust,
not over joyed with the look of it but the sound is ok.
now the rear shock that is another story

ratherbebiking

I frankly don't mind the way it looks. Separates it from what I consider the high rear of a street bike. Love the exhaust too. HATE the rear suspension .

I don't mind the fender at all, I think it's actually designed fairly well compared to others. Fender eliminator is just one of those things people feel the need to "fix" just like removing stock turn signals.

• Premium Member
I don't mind the fender at all, I think it's actually designed fairly well compared to others. Fender eliminator is just one of those things people feel the need to "fix" just like removing stock turn signals.
 Right! My sentiments exactly. It was one of the very last things I purchased for mods as sadly I was running out of stuff to change out. I knew it was only a matter of time; it was simply part of the inevitable evolution of the bike's aesthetic appeal.  
Now to save up for spiffy rearsets and full suspension.

Oy vey!!!
[attachment id=1236" thumbnail="1]

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

I think the stock tail is one of the better ones out there but with a tail tidy the back looks so much better. I honestly wish we could run with nothing but the tail light back there and mount the plate else where.

AlbatrossCafe

I kept it for a bit thinking that it helped keep mud off my light/back when riding in the rain but I realized it didn't do **** so I removed it.

Also I really don't think that moving the plate up and closer to the bike 6 inches makes a difference in safety. In fact, the Yoshimura tidy has brighter plate lights and the LED signals I installed are brighter than stock, so I think I am better off than before in terms of "safety".

Ideally, I would like to have integrated signals in my brake light and mount the plate near the chain as to have nothing back there, but the brake light signals aren't noticeable enough for me.

The tail is the last thing I would mod or change. Will a tail tidy make me go faster? No. Will a tail tidy make my bike handle better? No. Is a tail tidy safer? No.

I will admit it is not the prettiest thing on the bike but if I were to spend money it would be on the suspension first and foremost. I can live with an ugly tail.  ;)

The tail is the last thing I would mod or change. Will a tail tidy make me go faster? No. Will a tail tidy make my bike handle better? No. Is a tail tidy safer? No. 
I will admit it is not the prettiest thing on the bike but if I were to spend money it would be on the suspension first and foremost. I can live with an ugly tail.  ;)

Good idea!   Spend your money on making your bike faster and leave the back end ugly so the slower guys have to look at it. 8-)   

• Premium Member

Tail tidy is a cheap upgrade in comparison. Try Driving behind another FZ07 while that person is going over some rough patches of road. Has more movement than a Bill Cosby Jello commercial.

Tail tidy is a cheap upgrade in comparison. Try Driving behind another FZ07 while that person is going over some rough patches of road. Has more movement than a Bill Cosby Jello commercial.
Those bouncy signal lights are pretty hokey.  Replacing those might be a worthwhile cause. 

$100 to make the bike look way better is an easy spend.
Suspension is great but either you have that kind of money or don't and if you need to not spend $100 to save for $1500 ish worth of suspension you don't have that kind of money.

Archived