The MT-07 Forum

Went Down Yesterday

azuryn

So I am posting this so you guys remember to stay vigilant and ride safe.

So I went down yesterday for the first time on my FZ-07. Was coming to a red light at about 20mph or so when I went over an oil spill in the road, lost traction and ended locking up my rear tire which lead to panic and I got bucked off my bike and landed square on my shoulder.

Damage to bike
Nasty scrapes to the left side panel
Slightly bent shifter
Scraped handle bar and clutch lever
Scuffed passanger peg
And a heart breaking scratch on the clutch box cover

Damage to self
Very minor bruises on knees (no blood)
Broken clavicle (very painful)
Big hit to my ego

Luckily I had most of my gear on so the injuries were minimized. Big shout out to my scorpion sgs gloves which did their jobs and held up fantastically and protected my hands from nasty road rash completely.

Glad to have a family that dropped everything to come help me out and load my bike up and drive me to the hospital. I not looking to reporting this to my insurance though, I have a bad feeling it will become labeled as a salvage title which is heart breaking after all the work I have put into it not to mention the increase in premium. Also I am mad at myself for not being more aware of my surrounding and avoiding this all together and worrying my family.

On a bonus side note I do think I earned a few years of renewal for my man card, not a single tear and managed to joke around with my family and the nurses in the ER, pre-medication.

So yes please be safe out there guys. Also any advice on how to proceed from here would not much appreciated, any chance I can save my bike from becoming a salvage?

Edit: please ignore bad grammar, mobile and strong pain meds does not a scholar make

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

Bike damage seems minimal. Glad you're okay. We all go down at some point, some more than others, but to look on the bright side, you're didn't sustain any life threatening injuries nor injuries that'll prevent you from riding again. Also, you now are obligated to replace parts. Whether those parts will be of the upgraded type is your choice. In the end, I'm glad you're fine.

SigSide.jpg

• Premium Member

Sorry to hear @azuryn , but glad you aren't seriously injured.

As for the Salvaged title, I don't think it would come to that. All the parts you listed are easily replaceable. R&G case covers would take care of the nasty scratch you mentioned, and you'd never know it was there :)

Glad you had family to help you out, and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Get well my friend...and keep your spirits up.

:)

- Paulie

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

Sorry to hear you went down on the bike. Luckily you are not badly hurt, broken clavicle is very painful but it heals with time. Having family drop everything and come help makes all the difference in the world. If its something bad like a wreck or just a helping hand around the house.

If you can do the work yourself I think you can probably replace everything for under 1K. From the sounds of it you need a tank side cover, shifter lever, bars, levers, passenger peg, and engine side cover. @meekmade was giving away levers and passenger pegs I think. I would send her a PM if you are interested.

It doesn't sound like anything on the bike is too bad. The most difficult thing will the the engine side cover. The left side is easier than the right i think. Ive only had the right hand side off to check the clutch. You mentioned the clutch cover but you dropped it on the left i think. I'm not sure how much they cost but a majority of the parts are pretty reasonable. Let us know if you have any questions.

Edit: I  just looked up the parts you would need.  I would say for under $300 bucks you could fix it.  If you were to take it to a shop they charge anywhere from 70-100 per hour. 

Tank Side cover ($60) Air scoop ($40)
Levers (ask motomeek) or its time to upgrade anyway
Bars (someone has some stockers they will give away)  or its time to upgrade anyway
Passenger Peg (ask Motomeek)
Crankcase cover (Left $70 with gasket, Right $95 bucks with gasket)

pineappleunderthesea

Glad you've kept your spirits up.
The parts aren't that expensive, you'd be surprised. The shifter might be $40, the clutch cover (if you're talking about the round metal plate) is about $65 (you also have to replace the gasket). If you do the work yourself it might not be too bad. Or you can live with the scratch as a battle scar!

not a single tear and managed to joke around with my family and the nurses in the ER, pre-medication. 

So what you left unsaid was that your eyes 'misted' once the meds kicked in and the Adrenalin wore off? :D

What's your damage deductable? Your list of bent/rashed should be handily fixed for well under 500. I don't file claims unless it's a major expense (5-10x my deductable). Otherwise I label it a "need more training" tax.

Sure fired way to 'get it salvaged' is if there is visible damage to the frame. As preposterous as it sounds, even a moderate scratch can be enough. And that's why boys and girls why collision is so damn expensive.
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Thanks for the support guys, I think I'll just replace the lever and the bar end and the side panels and leave the rest as a reminder of what can happen at any moment. (But you can be sure I'll clean it up as best I can.) This forum is great, you guys are all awesome for the instant support.

not a single tear and managed to joke around with my family and the nurses in the ER, pre-medication. 
So what you left unsaid was that your eyes 'misted' once the meds kicked in and the Adrenalin wore off? :D 
What's your damage deductable? Your list of bent/rashed should be handily fixed for well under 500. I don't file claims unless it's a major expense (5-10x my deductable). Otherwise I label it a "need more training" tax.

Sure fired way to 'get it salvaged' is if there is visible damage to the frame. As preposterous as it sounds, even a moderate scratch can be enough. And that's why boys and girls why collision is so damn expensive.

Well no visible damage to the frame, just the plastic panels. And it was totally mist, or someone sneezed in my face in the ER waiting room.... yuck. So after reading the comments the damage to the bike is very minor, although I am not sure how difficult it is to replace the clutch box cover, might not bother since I think I can just clean it up a bit with some sand paper and try and paint match. But I'll worry about that when I'm all healed and well.

Edit:It is the engine cover, not clutch. My mistake.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

From looking though my shop manual that side cover is easy to replace. A handful of bolts and just one support bearing on the inside of the housing. Just do it at your next oil change.

• Premium Member

Sorry to hear that, glad your relatively alright and there is minimal damage to the bike

• Premium Member
xcarbonsteelx

Oh man! I'm sorry to hear about the mishap. Hope you have a speedy recovery! I have a pair of stock levers hanging around, let me know if you want them.

- xCarbonSteelx

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

I have one clean bar end left. My other one got scraped went I went down also. Let me know if you need it.

SigSide.jpg

• Global Moderator

Glad tp hear you're alright for the most part. A broken clavical hurts like hell but as a few have already said... it will heal
and shouldnt impede your riding again
heal up and get back out there

ive got stock levers, stock bars, and stock or rhinomoto barends just sitting in the garage taking up space.

by shifter you mean the shift rod and rearset assembly?
If so i have a stocker there as well just needs a heel guard

just shoot me a pm if you want em

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

I would love a bar end if someone can spare one, as for the lever I still have the stock, these were just the cheap Chinese e ones. Although I am not sure what is bent on the shifter on the left, all I know is that the bar was hitting the nut that holds the kick stand in place not allowing you to shift into first. Didn't really take the time to see exactly what it was, just went straight to bed to lick my wounds.

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

Seems like @sorkyah has most everything. Haha.

SigSide.jpg

• Global Moderator

Just let me know
im more than happy to help

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

You blooded it. She's really yours now. Earned your man card too. Win-WIn.

Cheers.

Databyter

• Premium Member

Sorry to hear of your scrape up. You took a few bumps but you're on your feet with everything still attached. That's pretty fortunate in my book.
Hope you heal up fast and are able to get back out there.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Glad you're alright. Sounds like you're in good hands and like everyone said, it's minor stuff. Some would say it has character now so if anything damaged isn't affecting it's performance there's really no rush on replacing parts if it gets you from A to B. Sorry about your misfortune and get well soon.

BTW, I like the way your meds make you talk....

[attachment id=1235" thumbnail="1] "mobile and strong pain meds does not a scholar make?"

Beemer

• Premium Member

It sucks to crash, but it sounds like you are OK, so that's good to hear. Hey, if a few parts and a broken bone is the worst that happened, at least you'll be a better (more vigilant) rider for it. A couple of takeaways from the situation: 1. If possible, always try to avoid the center of a lane (where oil drips from cars), and b. If you lock up the rear brake, ride it out -- if you lock up the front, let up on it (modulate it). Easier said than done, but practice makes perfect.

• Premium Member

Looks like @sorkyah has you covered! But if for any reason it doesnt work out, keep in mind I have an extra set of OEM bar-ends for you, and I'll send them to you "on the house". PM me if you need them.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Haven't felt the need in a long time to post. 
Must say, damned proud to see the goodwill towards fellow riders on this forum still exist!

Yep broke my college bone this summer they replaced it with a metal bar so I feel ya on the pain it sucked.

Call a bike shop ask what it costs to get it appraised get it done.
Take the bike home fix it yourself and pocket the extra cash or upgrade your parts lol.

The insurance will pay for your gear also even if it's just scratched.

Good Luck and good to see ya lived and learned.

Archived