The MT-07 Forum

Drag bars- modify throttle cables or reroute?

Mr.Puss

• Premium Member

Has anyone intalled drag bars? If so, did you have any issues with the throttle cables sticking/binding when trying to reposition the controls?
These bars seem to add too much slack to the cables and fiddling with the adjustment bolts just isnt enough. My cables need to be routed arched waaay up and over and it looks awful. Any other position and they bind.

As well, any clutch cable issues at all?

Has anyone rerouted or chopped and resoldered their cables to accommodate a much lower bar or clip-ons? Obviously I need to fiddle around some more and see what I can do. Before I get carried away on this would you have any tips or advice?

Thanks guys.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Premium Member
I got the Amazon drag bars which are these ones http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004PQOTHK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00 
I just had to reroute my clutch cable. The throttle was fine I just had to mess with the adjusting screws.
I bought the exact same bars. I notice in your pic that you had to arch the throttle cables right up as well. Another fellow here was able to roll them right forward so they sat right in front of the reservior which is what I'm shooting for. No luck hearing from him unfortunately. When I get it sorted out to the way I want it I'll let you know how I did it in case you wanted to have the same placement. Thanks for the heads up about the clutch cable!

Regards

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

I got the Amazon drag bars which are these ones http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004PQOTHK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00 
I just had to reroute my clutch cable. The throttle was fine I just had to mess with the adjusting screws.
Much of the same for me with the drag bars.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

• Premium Member
Much of the same for me with the drag bars.
You also had to arch your cables up as opposed to pushing them forward to more of a horizontal plane as in this pic? This member "able" has the same bars but also his cables are rolled forward.... ( Sent PM but it seems he isnt on here any more.)
IMO this looks fantastic.

[attachment id=1234" thumbnail="1]

You can get the throttle cable to look exactly like it did stock. All you have to do is just position it that way and then adjust the throttle cable accordingly with the lock nuts. I didn't mind so I didn't bother to mess with it anymore than I already did. I also have the R6 throttle tube which might cause a different outcome.

• Premium Member

Thanks! You are correct good sir! I think I may have gotten it sorted out. I was being too soft/noob with it, I just forced it right down where I want it as you've said, and then yanked the cable sleeves around a bit and that did it....at least for now. It doesnt bind up when turning but we'll see how things settle once I get it back to riding condition and can zip around a bit. I'll fiddle with the adjustment screws a bit, and I picked up some silicone lube as well. If my adjustments cause any random safety problems I'll just reroute or cut and resolder to shorten it a bit.

A lot of people really dig the R6 throttle. What are your thoughts on it? Worth doing?

Thanks again.

Thanks! You are correct good sir! I think I may have gotten it sorted out. I was being too soft/noob with it, I just forced it right down where I want it as you've said, and then yanked the cable sleeves around a bit and that did it....at least for now. It doesnt bind up when turning but we'll see how things settle once I get it back to riding condition and can zip around a bit. I'll fiddle with the adjustment screws a bit, and I picked up some silicone lube as well. If my adjustments cause any random safety problems I'll just reroute or cut and resolder to shorten it a bit.  
A lot of people really dig the R6 throttle. What are your thoughts on it? Worth doing?

Thanks again.

I would certainly do it if you haven't already. I guess there a few ones you can get. I got the motion pro one, if you want a quicker response, I've read that the OEM R6 which is white is the most aggressive.

• Global Moderator

Thanks again.

Get the oem r6 throttle tube
its like 10 bucks through the dealer

Also, dont forget to drill a new locator hole if you havent already, keep that sucker staying put
that being said, adjustment at the throttle body cam is your next move. You shouldnt have to cut your cables just because you got new bars, the stockers should work just fine

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

I would certainly do it if you haven't already. I guess there a few ones you can get. I got the motion pro one, if you want a quicker response, I've read that the OEM R6 which is white is the most aggressive.

^ this

:)

- Paulie

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

I love my OEM R6 Throttle Tube. Full throttle in less twist. What more could you ask for?

SigSide.jpg

• Premium Member

Being as inexperienced a rider as I am, I might start with the MotionPro (01-0094) and see how I feel.
Apparently the "twist" is between the R6 and the OEM.  Baby steps for this guy. :)

• Global Moderator
Being as inexperienced a rider as I am, I might start with the MotionPro (01-0094) and see how I feel. Apparently the "twist" is between the R6 and the OEM.  Baby steps for this guy. :)

There isnt much difference between the motion pro and the oem tube...
aomewhere around 10-12° of rotation i think

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member
Being as inexperienced a rider as I am, I might start with the MotionPro (01-0094) and see how I feel. Apparently the "twist" is between the R6 and the OEM.  Baby steps for this guy. :)

I'd say if you're gonna do it, just go straight to the R6 throttle tube :) 
- Paulie

• Premium Member

I'd say if you're gonna do it, just go straight to the R6 throttle tube :) 
- Paulie
You guys make good points. I suppose Im just picking "fly sh*t out of pepper" over the differences; I might as well jump right in. It is a inexpensive mod after all.  

Archived