The MT-07 Forum

Clutch free play issue

george

Guys i noticed that while driving, the clutch is starting to have more free play than i have adjusted it to have..
Although when i start the bike, free play is where i want it to be, after few miles it is looseness up..
When i park it, without adjucting the free play and drive it again the next day, same thing happens..
When starting the bike, the free play is as it should be and after a while it is loose again..
The adjucting bolt next to the clutch is steady as a rock..

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

how many miles do you have on the bike? The clutch cable can stretch with use. Mine seemed to stretch a lot when it was new, after 6K miles it pretty much stays where i set it.

Near all bikes do it to some extent it's just things expanding as they warm up,
I set mine at normal running temp it as a touch less free play than normal when
cold but not enough to cause any problems.

• Global Moderator
I 've got around 7000 miles.. I 've noticed the free play change after replacing water pump..
Before it was ok..
I had the same issue when the dealership fixed my oil and coolant leaks...

they ended up replacing the clutch return spring.... not sure if.they over stretched it or it just wore out after 15k miles...

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

I 've noticed the free play change after replacing water pump..
Before it was ok..
Kinda have to think that's not a coincidence. As the clutch cover has to come off to do that, I'm thinking something inside was not set properly and it's moving as the motor gets hot. 
I don't have anywhere near as many miles on this particular bike, but I've never noticed what you're describing with a cable operated clutch on any other bike in over 4 decades of riding. Maybe I'm too thick to notice a small variation, but it sounds like it's quite prominent in your case. 

Think i would have that cover removed again before something falls off inside. 

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

Engine side cover is separate from water pump. But they may have pulled the cable to change it. Most shops are incapable of properly adjusting the clutch and throttle cables.

Only thing inside of there is a cam driven inward when you pull the clutch lever. It's a rack and pinion style, and its a pita to get it just right. When I get home I'll scan a pic of it from the shop manual.

Was sorta under the impression that the clutch cover had to come off to pull the impeller shaft out of the bearing and inner seal.

There is an exterior bracket with 2 bolts threaded into the case that holds the clutch cable. They are suppose to be Loctited. Would be worth a quick wrench to make sure those are tight. If that bracket is moving as the motor heats up, that could cause a change in freeplay. The book calls for 12Nm torque

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

That's a possibility i just had my side cover off and did not have to touch the water pump housing.

That's a possibility i just had my side cover off and did not have to touch the water pump housing.
I'm pretty sure that's cause the whole water pump comes off with the clutch cover. The impeller shaft for the pump passes thru the clutch case(the bearing and seals are pressed in to that cover on both sides) . You just have to make sure the end of that shaft engages the drive properly when you bolt the clutch cover back on. 
I'd not think that the clutch lever would need to be touched in order to replace the water pump seal, so w/o seeing this stuff, my thinking is that the only thing that might come loose would be that bracket holding the cable. Hard to imagine the case moving. 

Archived