The MT-07 Forum

Alpinestars Megaton Drystar Jacket Review

jeffkisthename

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

Hello my FZ/MT family,

I wanted to help our community by doing a review of my first ever motorcycle jacket, the Alpinestars Megaton Drystar Jacket.  First I'll talk about what I was looking for in a jacket, list some RevZilla details on the Jacket, and offer my opinion about the jacket through my personal experience.  I hope my review can be a help to those who are searching for this kind of jacket, or are on the fence about purchasing one.  I was searching for a jacket back in September (yup, 4 months ago), I was searching for a versatile jacket in multiple seasons, and I didn't want a race cut, because well, I'm not skinny, and those race jackets would just make me look like that fat guy in a little coat kind of look.  I didn't want a touring jacket either, because I just didn't want a jacket that long, just not yet anyway.  So, I decided to look for a jacket with a sport cut, but that was not so tight, and I came across the Megaton.  At first, I was kind of iffy about it, because of the price ($329 at time of purchase), but then I realized that the features I wanted would naturally warrant a higher price no matter which brand I looked into.  The jacket comes in 3 different colors: Black with Grey accents, Black/White with Red accents and a cool looking combo of Black/Blue/Grey/White with Red accents.  I chose the Black with Grey accents.

Here's a description and a list of features on the Alpinestars Megaton Drystar Jacket via RevZilla:

A durable, sport-fit jacket offering added protective and impact capabilities, the Alpinestars Megaton Drystar Jacket is perfect for both long-distance road touring and general street riding when a non-traditional touring jacket just isn't your style. Featuring Alpinestars exclusive Drystar 100% waterproof and breathable membrane, this jacket performs superbly in all kinds of weather conditions while still being light and durable.

Features:

[ul type=disc][*]600D Polyester fabric with PU coating with a water repelling surface treatment
[/ul][div]
[/div][ul type=disc][*]Removable waterproof and breathable Drystar liner

[*]Removable thermal lining
[/ul][div]
[/div][ul type=disc][*]CE Bio Armor in the elbows and shoulder

[*]Chest and Back protector compartments with PE comfort padding (CE certified back protector insert and Nucleon chest protector available -- as accessories)

[*]Accordion stretch panels for increased elbow and shoulder movement

[*]Pre-curved sleeve

[*]Ballistic Nylon reinforced panels protect key shoulder and elbow areas

[*]VELCRO® brand closures collar adjusters
[/ul][div]
[/div][ul type=disc][*]Polyfabric comfort edge around neck and cuffs

[*]2 zippered front air intake vents
[/ul][div]
[/div][ul type=disc][*]2 zippered rear air exhaust vents[/ul][div]
[/div][ul type=disc][*]Adjustable straps on biceps and lower arm

[*]Extended lower back profile, reinforced for additional abrasion protection

[*]Zippered cuff openings with gusseted VELCRO® brand closures adjuster

[*]VELCRO® brand closures waist adjustment for rapid and precise fit improvement

[*]2 external zipped hand pockets

[*]Internal wallet pocket

[*]The Alpinestars Megaton Drystar Jacket has waist connection zip for attachment to riding pants

[/ul][div]
Link to where I purchased the jacket:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-megaton-drystar-jacket

[/div][div]
Here are some photos of my jacket (used since September):[/div]

The front

DSC_0757.jpg

Alpinestars Logo on the left

DSC_0759.jpg

Megaton Labeling

DSC_0758.jpg

Shoulder with Reflective Logo that's padded and has CE rated armor inside

DSC_0789.jpg

Accordion Stretch panel Elbows with CE rated armor inside

DSC_0790.jpg

Adjustable Velcro Bi-Cep Strap

DSC_0760.jpg

Adjustable Button Forearm Strap

DSC_0761.jpg

Forearm Vent

DSC_0762.jpg

Front Intake Vent (One on each side, located just before the arm pits)

DSC_0763.jpg

Collar Velcro Strap

DSC_0765.jpg

Collar Velcro Strap in the "tucked away" position

DSC_0766.jpg

Main Zipper opening

DSC_0767.jpg

Rain Liner zipped up and the Waterproof pocket opening

DSC_0768.jpg

The inside of the Waterproof pocket

DSC_0769.jpg

Waterproof Liner

DSC_0775.jpg

Waterproof Inside Pocket (One on each side)

DSC_0783.jpg

Thermal Liner Outside

DSC_0774.jpg

Thermal Liner Inside

DSC_0770.jpg

Thermal Liner Inside Pocket (One on each side)

DSC_0771.jpg

All Liners Lifted exposing the Foam Back Protector

DSC_0780.jpg

Foam Chest Protector

DSC_0778.jpg

Actual Jacket Inside Pocket (So, inside pockets alone, including all layers, there's 6 total side inside poclets LOL)

DSC_0776.jpg

Bottom Zippers (Both the Waterproof lining and the actual outer jacket had zippers on the bottom to attach to pants)

DSC_0782.jpg

Back

DSC_0785.jpg  

Cool Looking Foam Design

DSC_0788.jpg

Exhaust Vent (There's 2 on the back)

DSC_0787.jpg

Adjustable Velcro Neck Straps

DSC_0791.jpg

Adjustable Velcro Waist Strap (One on each side)

DSC_0786.jpg

WOW!!! Okay, now that the photos are over with, here's my opinion on and experience with this jacket.  My verdict, love it.  I couldn't have picked a better first jacket.  I've ridden over 2.5k miles with every layer on, and the versatility is amazing.  Lately I've been riding with temperatures between 35[span style=vertical-align:super;font-size:13.3333px]o F [/span]to 55o F and the jacket has kept me warm, but I do use an additional BiLT Freeze Out base layer in the lower temps.  With the base layer on me, the cold doesn't even phase me.  The jacket without the base layer is good with all layers in and comfortable in the 40's.  I rode in the rain this morning for the first time today (which igniting my need to review this jacket) and it kept me dry.  This morning's ride was a 45 minute ride of constant rain, but no torrential down pour.  

Thinking back when it was warmer in Sep/Oct,  I rode in 70-85 degree weather with no layer and all vents open and I was cool.  I have not had a chance to wear it in extremely hot weather yet, but I look forward to see what kind of cooling this jacket can offer.  I have not washed the jacket yet, but it doesn't seem hard to clean.  Bugs wipe right off and dirt doesn't cling to the fabric.  I do notice that the reflective materials are kind of dirty, but they still do their job.  There's reflective material on all the Alpinestars logos, Intake and Exhaust vent openings, and all the Velcro straps except the neck and collar adjusters. My brother drove behind me before and told me that my jacket is pretty reflective (where there is reflective material).

I do plan on purchasing the optional CE rated chest and back protectors, because well, armor can and will save your behind from major injuries.  I have gone down once wearing this jacket at about 25 MPH and the jacket took the fall without busting a thread, and the elbow and shoulder armor didn't even give me a bruise.  That experience alone has me as a believer in purchasing and wearing motorcycle specific gear that has armor.  I just need the funds for all those good now...LOL  If anyone has any questions about anything that I have or have not covered, please ask, and I will try my best to answer, especially if I can update this review to help others.  For those who took the time to read this thread, I want to say thank you, and I hope that this review has been helpful.

-Jeff

SigSide.jpg

• Premium Member

Jacket looks awesome!! Thank for your review ill have to add it to the list if i start riding in rain.

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
Jacket looks awesome!! Thank for your review ill have to add it to the list if i start riding in rain.
Riding in the rain (to me) is easier than riding in thick fog.  Yes, I'm constantly wiping my visor and turning my head side to side, but I can still see versus the fog where the mist is constantly fogging up my visor.  Making visibility damn near non-existent. I do need a better helmet with a pin-lock visor though.  I'm currently using a Scorpion EXO-R710 without pin-locks, and the visor is supposed to have anti-fog.  My next helmet (hopefully within a month) will the the Arai Defiant Pro-Cruise.

SigSide.jpg

• Premium Member
Riding in the rain (to me) is easier than riding in thick fog.  Yes, I'm constantly wiping my visor and turning my head side to side, but I can still see versus the fog where the mist is constantly fogging up my visor.  Making visibility damn near non-existent. I do need a better helmet with a pin-lock visor though.  I'm currently using a Scorpion EXO-R710 without pin-locks, and the visor is supposed to have anti-fog.  My next helmet (hopefully within a month) will the the Arai Defiant Pro-Cruise.
Im on the same boat... i would love to ride in the rain but dont have the gear yet... speaking of fog i was in dense fog and my helmet isnt cutting it. I too upgraded the helmet to the schuberth c3 pro will see if that fogs or not as claimed not to. The other day i could not see pass 50ish feet  so i had to ride with the visor up...

20151225_102900_zpskhwc8jdl.jpg

Archived