The MT-07 Forum

Baffle Out Akra Question

azuryn

Alright so I have had my Akrapovic Titanium for a few hours now and I love the sound but feels like it can be louder. What things do I need to take of first if I wish to take out the baffle and retain my performance? I also heard you can shorten the baffle to find a middle ground between out and in, does this also require a reflash for the ECU? Is there a way to find local mechanics that can reflash the ECU or is this usually just a ship and ship back deal?

• Global Moderator
Alright so I have had my Akrapovic Titanium for a few hours now and I love the sound but feels like it can be louder. What things do I need to take of first if I wish to take out the baffle and retain my performance? I also heard you can shorten the baffle to find a middle ground between out and in, does this also require a reflash for the ECU? Is there a way to find local mechanics that can reflash the ECU or is this usually just a ship and ship back deal?

a flash is a good idea even for a completely stock bike
if you were to make any performance mods, flash, should be first or second on the list.

Shipping out to @2wheeldynoworks is possibly the easiest way and they're having a sale at the moment
i'll be sending mine out here soon and they offer reflashes for the price of shipping it out again

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Either flash, Power Commander, or EJK once you remove the baffle. I personally never ran with my baffle in. I have a power commander and used the tune off their site since pgeldz, a member in here, confirmed the tune is with the baffle out since it was his bike they used. Power Commander install took 1 hour and the pgeldz tune runs great. You can eventually take it to a dyno to get it fine tuned for more power later but the tune off the site is pretty solid.

Either flash, Power Commander, or EJK once you remove the baffle. I personally never ran with my baffle in. I have a power commander and used the tune off their site since pgeldz, a member in here, confirmed the tune is with the baffle out since it was his bike they used. Power Commander install took 1 hour and the pgeldz tune runs great. You can eventually take it to a dyno to get it fine tuned for more power later but the tune off the site is pretty solid.

Isn't that tune also run with a DNA air filter? Does that affect your bike at all?

There is a tune for snorkel out and stock filter. I've used both the stock filter tune and the dna filter tune as it seems the fuel map is only slightly different. Both run strong. It's #7 and #8 I believe.

Slightly better air flow and from I've seen, about 1 to 2 horsepower with a tune. If your bike is a US model then removing the snorkel is almost the equivalent of the DNA air filter lid because our lids aren't as restrictive. Removing the snorkel is just a matter of pulling it out when you have the gas tank lifted.

AlbatrossCafe
What does removing the snorkel offer?
Be careful about this - the whole purpose of the snorkel is to prevent water from getting into the air intake. Unless you are racing, removing it is not really going to make a noticeable change. The snorkel here in the US is not super restrictive like in EU, so there is no way you will get 2hp out of its removal on an FZ. One member on here did a test where he removed the snorkel, put a paper towel over the air filter box, put the seat on, and sprayed the bike with a hose for a few seconds. He took the seat off and the paper towel was wet. IMHO it is not worth the risk of getting water in unless you are racing or live in SoCal where it barely rains.

If you plan to do ANY riding in heavy rain, I would recommend leaving the snorkel on.

Archived