The MT-07 Forum

FZ07 running like crap.

wojo72

I'm happy to report that the bike is back up and running. I ordered a K&N filter from amazon. It was expensive for an air filter but I figured that I could wash out if they get in there again. I took the bike out for about 10 minutes. It pulls like it should up to 10K. I doubt that the K&N is any better than stock without additional mods.

The bad news is that broke one of the plastic tabs that hold the plastic side cover to the frame. Not sure what I did but the bolt "froze" up so I put a little more torque on it. It's the one that is connected to the top cover on the tank. The longer bolt with the nylon washer on it. I ordered a new clip and bolt because I mangled it with vice grips getting it off. I'm hoping that I can reconstruct the loop with jb weld or maybe use super glue a washer over the plastic to secure the tab in place. I'd hate to replace the whole cover on top of the tank. Yamaha should have reinforced those parts a little bit since you have to take them off and on for maintenance.

• Global Moderator

Glad to hear that your bike is running like it should. Congrats.

Just out of curiosity, do K&N air filters still need to be oiled?
Yes. I'm doing it every 8k, since I need to switch out the spark plugs on that same interval.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

• Premium Member

Driving with wife as passenger. (true story)

wife: hey! you missed the turn off to go home! wtf?
me: Hmm? yeah... did you see that sign back there? It said "best bird seed in town"

Apparently I was too deep in contemplation of what constitues the best birdseed? What are the ratios involved to make such a lofty claim? More sunflower seeds or less? what indeed? Questions questions to one of life's great mysteries.
One of my finer moments to be sure.
Too late for her though, she already married me! Bwahahahahaha!

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Global Moderator
me: Hmm? yeah... did you see that sign back there? It said "best bird seed in town"

Apparently I was too deep in contemplation of what constitues the best birdseed? What are the ratios involved to make such a lofty claim? More sunflower seeds or less? what indeed? Questions questions to one of life's great mysteries.
Don't get me started on birdseed. I planted some a while back and guess what...NOT ONE BIRD GREW. 

• Global Moderator

Birdseed
4 parts sunflower seeds
4 parts parts rye grass seed
2 parts stale french fries
2 parts peanut butter
2 parts dried apple slivers(minced)
6 parts Eau De Bird musk

The musk is essential and must be gathered fresh
several birds may need to give their life for the cause(.177 pellet rifle helps with this)

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

It's 30 degrees and getting colder here and I doubt we'll get another warm spell, so I decided to store the bike. I wanted the battery out, so I did that, and figured I ought to take a look in the air box while I'm at it. Holy crap, what a PITA to get all the shrouds out of the way to get at the two buried screws holding it down! In the end, there was mouse activity, but none entered the air box.
_DSC9920.jpg

_DSC9921.jpg

There were even more acorns and such in the front right shelf behind the computer, but I didn't see it till the camera was put away. I'll be adding some wire mesh over the inlet when I put the battery back in. Stuffed a copper scouring pad in there for now. Thanks for the head's up about this issue. 

“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
— Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values)

• Premium Member
It's 30 degrees and getting colder here and I doubt we'll get another warm spell, so I decided to store the bike. I wanted the battery out, so I did that, and figured I ought to take a look in the air box while I'm at it. Holy crap, what a PITA to get all the shrouds out of the way to get at the two buried screws holding it down! In the end, there was mouse activity, but none entered the air box. _DSC9920.jpg

_DSC9921.jpg

There were even more acorns and such in the front right shelf behind the computer, but I didn't see it till the camera was put away. I'll be adding some wire mesh over the inlet when I put the battery back in. Stuffed a copper scouring pad in there for now. Thanks for the head's up about this issue. 

Gotta cover that sucker up with a piece of mesh. I used the mesh from my old OEM filter. 

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Archived