The MT-07 Forum

FZ07 running like crap.

wojo72

I took the FZ07 out for a quick run today. The bike starts and idles fine but is way down on power. The bike won't pull past 6k in any gear. The gas is only a couple of weeks old. Not sure to start on troubleshooting. I'm looking for suggestions.

Thanks!

• Premium Member

I read a thread once where a guy was having a similar issue. Turned out a mouse made a nest in his air filter. I'd start there and make sure there isn't anything restricting air flow. How long did you ride that tank of gas before you noticed a change?

Is it too early for a spark plug to start failing? Should the computer be throwing a code if it's missing?

“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
— Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values)

Well, where lawn equipment is concerned, some plugs test fine on the bench, but fail under load. You said it started going away at higher RPM. That's what "sparked" my post. They're not particularly easy to get at, but I doubt they cost an awful lot. I hate to just throw parts at a problem, but if they're cheap enough, and there are no other ideas, might as well.

“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
— Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values)

fooschnickens

I would echo checking the airbox. I've heard reports of lots of folks finding critters' nests packed in there, especially during the colder months or when the bike has been sitting a while.

Apart from that, double check the connectors for your injectors and maybe try topping off the tank with some fresh gas if there's room.

• Premium Member

If it is a critter nest you could cover the snorkel or hole with a piece of fine wire mesh. When I took off my snorkel and replaced my filter I chopped off and used that mesh and secured it under the plate. Works great!

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Global Moderator

My bet is on lack of air. It's the season where critters make nests and store food. First thing I did was make a mash screen for the FZ07 but I forgot to do the ATV. Sure enough it ran like crap and they make a nest.

IMG_1046.jpg

• Premium Member

If it is a critter nest you could cover the snorkel or hole with a piece of fine wire mesh. When I took off my snorkel and replaced my filter I chopped off and used that mesh and secured it under the plate. Works great!
Really good idea. I might do this.

When I've had similar problems in the past with cars I checked for loose spark plug wires, batt. elec. connections (the simplest things first) and that often proved to be the culprit. It's so new I wouldn't think it's anything major. I doubt any water was in your gas to begin with and doubt any condensation built up since you first put it away but it wouldn't hurt to siphon off/add fresh gas. Then again, it could be a critter thing as mentioned or something else. Good luck with it and let us know what was causing the problem after you've found it. Have a better new year!

Beemer

Long story short it was the work of mice. The filter was jam packed with bird seed. My wife keeps a bag of it in the garage. I'll have to put that in some kind off container with a secure lid. I am having trouble finding a replacement air filter locally. Hopefully I remember where everything goes :)

• Premium Member

Bird seed! I knew it! ;)

Im not laughing at your misfortune, but "jam packed with bird seed" is a good one.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Global Moderator
Long story short it was the work of mice. The filter was jam packed with bird seed. My wife keeps a bag of it in the garage. I'll have to put that in some kind off container with a secure lid. I am having trouble finding a replacement air filter locally. Hopefully I remember where everything goes :)
maybe an upgrade to k&n with a flash is in order?

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Hmmmm, this is intriguing ... wife hates bike .... puts birdseed in same vicinity as bike ... mice love birdseed so mice get blamed ... you married one of the smart ones!   ;)  

Beemer

Well, if that was my "made in Italy" toy, I'd be pulling every electrical connector involved in making it run ( seemingly hundreds of 'em, everything except the lights, lol) and give a spray with this stuff http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-Cable-Deoxit-Contact-Cleaner/dp/B00006LVEU/ref=pd_sim_236_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=41esA2w9C%2BL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1X2TSS4A6V99603VQPK1

If there was a magic elixir, this would be it. It'll take a connector green with oxidation and make it work like new again. You'll never smear dielectric grease on any electrical connector ever again.

• Global Moderator

It's a pretty regular occurrence where I live. Especially during the winter months. Here's the air filter of a friend's ATV. Ran like crap too..

IMG_1645.jpg

• Premium Member
Popcorn out the exhaust would make one heck of a vid!
Ask and ye shall receive 
[video src=https://youtu.be/NSySqtRwS1M]

We have a similar problem with mud wasps building mud nests in the inlets and exhausts ( and any other hole they can find). One day your bike runs fine the next you come to start it and it won't start. After stuffing around for hours you work out there is no exhaust ( or very little) expulsion. Oh look. deep down inside a lumpy ball of mud...
My poor whipper snipper suffers from mudwasp intake syndrome incessantly.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Global Moderator
Popcorn out the exhaust would make one heck of a vid!
Ask and ye shall receive 
[video src=https://youtu.be/NSySqtRwS1M]
But mommy... the popcorn is all oily and smells like a gas station

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

That's just hilarious.

Wonder if that requires a reflash?

And just imagine the conversation over warranty at the BMW dealer, lol.

Archived