The MT-07 Forum

Ram Mount X-Grip IV Installed

jeffkisthename

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

Finally pulled the trigger on a Ram Mount!!! Well, here's all the pieces I got:

DSC_0561.jpg

I'm going to mount this aluminum diamond base on a strip of metal I got at Home Depot.

DSC_0563.jpg

I got the small 2" aluminum clamp. I hope this works, but if not, I'll need the medium 3".

DSC_0566.jpg

I decided to get the X-Grip IV, because it's made for bigger phones, and the normal X-Grip would hit my power button, where this mount will interfere only with the volume up button.

DSC_0573.jpg

This here is a band to help hold the phone in place. Got it just to ensure that my phone won't fly off the X-Grip, but the X-Grip doesn't seem to really need it if you place your phone in there securely.

DSC_0564.jpg

X-Grip without band and Samsung Galaxy Note 4 in.

DSC_0575.jpg

X-Grip with band and Samsung Galaxy Note 4 in.

DSC_0579.jpg

Back of X-Grip with the band.

DSC_0580.jpg

This is the piece of metal I needed to install the diamond base onto the FZ.

DSC_0587.jpg

Gonna put that piece right here.  I'm going to drill some holes in the plate and use the existing holes here.

DSC_0588.jpg

Just like that, It's mounted.  Just gotta paint it, but I'll do that after I check fitment.

DSC_0590.jpg

X-Grip IV mounted.

DSC_0591.jpg

Sits behind the Givi Windscreen.

DSC_0592.jpg

I know, my windscreen is diiiiiiiiirrrrrrrty!!!

DSC_0593.jpg

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 on the X-Grip IV.

DSC_0602.jpg

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 on the X-Grip IV with the band.

DSC_0608.jpg

Oh, and some key hole action  ;)

DSC_0609.jpg

It's raining, so I can't test it out, but it is solid.  I just painted the bracket, so I won't be able to install it permanently until that dries. Thanks for looking!!!

DSC_0586.jpg

SigSide.jpg

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

Painted the bracket black.

DSC_0735.jpg

DSC_0736.jpg

DSC_0737.jpg

DSC_0738.jpg

DSC_0739.jpg

I made sure to put the adjustment for the clamp on the left side, because there's more room to access it on the left. Also, I put the phone on the X-Grip with the home button on the left, because it's easier to access that and swipe with my left hand (right hand is for throttle and brake).

DSC_0740.jpg

SigSide.jpg

• Premium Member

Nice man! That windscreen bracket you made has become quite versitile. Very nice applications.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Premium Member

Looks awesome!! I just got mine today as well and i think im mounting it next to the left side mirror so i can record with the phone!!

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
Looks awesome!! I just got mine today as well and i think im mounting it next to the left side mirror so i can record with the phone!!
Dude, the X-Grip is awesome.  I really need a Power Outlet now though haha.  In order for me to record, I'd need a bigger clamp.  Hmmm...maybe I'll order the medium and the large just to have.  Have fun recording, and show us some videos!

SigSide.jpg

• Premium Member
Dude, the X-Grip is awesome.  I really need a Power Outlet now though haha.  In order for me to record, I'd need a bigger clamp.  Hmmm...maybe I'll order the medium and the large just to have.  Have fun recording, and show us some videos!
20151228_221355_zpswcdqntxc.jpg 
I picked up this usb outlet for 15 bucks at cycle gear. Im also using the note 4 phone but i think if you mount it next to the left side mirro you can see everything fine. ..your set-up came out clean though!!!

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
20151228_221355_zpswcdqntxc.jpg 
I picked up this usb outlet for 15 bucks at cycle gear. Im also using the note 4 phone but i think if you mount it next to the left side mirro you can see everything fine. ..your set-up came out clean though!!!
I like the USB style outlets, but I want the cigarette style outlet, so I can plug in a Qualcomm approved car fast charger. That way I can fast charge my Note 4.

SigSide.jpg

• 2 months later...
babisstinson

Thank you for sharing this, I was looking for a decent mount for my MT-07 and this might just be the one.
What a great setup you have there!

• Premium Member

Had that Ram mount for 10,000 miles love that thing never had an issue with my phone coming out. Juts picked up the rubber band thing the other day for it and I don't think you really need it but its piece of mind.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

The Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge with the SUPCASE Unicorn Beetle heavy duty case fits perfectly and even better than the Note 5. There's no button interference whatsoever. Lovely.

DSC_1356.jpg

SigSide.jpg

• Global Moderator
The Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge with the SUPCASE Unicorn Beetle heavy duty case fits perfectly and even better than the Note 5. There's no button interference whatsoever. Lovely. 
DSC_1356.jpg
Not enough miles on that thing yet :P
(Though you have more than me)

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
DSC_1356.jpg
Not enough miles on that thing yet :P (Though you have more than me)
Haha, I get to hit 19k tomorrow Yay!

SigSide.jpg

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
i ordered one of these for my setup. its from germany, should be here in a few days. 30 bucks total with shipping. 
http://www.bruudtcnc.de/shop/product_info.php?info=p261_bruudt-navigation-mounting-ball-for-the-yamaha-mt-07.html

Dave
Dave, that's freaking awesome. I might need to switch up to that. That's much more stable. Thanks for that link. They've got plenty of stuff for our bike there.

SigSide.jpg

Fearedbynone

It arrived yesterday and looks good. here are some pics. i got the other 3 parts individually from amazon.

20160329_194524_zpsrdwzqgmg.jpg

20160329_194514_zpsa2tchhl8.jpg

Dave

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

@fearedbynone, take a photo with a phone mounted in the x grip please. I wanna see how it sits above the cluster.

SigSide.jpg

Fearedbynone

i will when i get home. had to drive the yucky car today as it will rain today and tomorrow. my phone is big (note 5) so it looks like a 2nd dash :)

ok, so i just realized that i use my phone to take pictures. i have an old note 3 i can use to take the pic i think. just need to find it.

Dave

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
i will when i get home. had to drive the yucky car today as it will rain today and tomorrow. my phone is big (note 5) so it looks like a 2nd dash :) 
ok, so i just realized that i use my phone to take pictures. i have an old note 3 i can use to take the pic i think. just need to find it.

Dave
That's perfect, because my previous photos showed a note 4 and the new S7 Edge. I had a Note 5 also, but traded it in for the S7 Edge.

SigSide.jpg

Fearedbynone

note 3 no case. my pic of the note 5 in the case didnt email for some reason.

after uploading the picture, it looks very dark. not that dark when looking at it on the phone.

i will take better pics tonight with the flash set to on instead of auto.

20160330_223149_zpsgrx5g0jp.jpg

jeffkisthename

I know nothing about these new phones and I'm curious if they do the same thing as a Garmin, like track where you are on a map and plot courses. etc? Also, do they make anything to keep them waterproof in case of a sudden downpour? 

Beemer

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
I know nothing about these new phones and I'm curious if they do the same thing as a Garmin like track where you are on a map and plot courses. etc? Also, do they make anything to keep them waterproof in case of a sudden downpour? 
Beemer, most if not all smart phones have or are able to download a navigation app that does what you just explained. The Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge is waterproof without a case from the inside out. It is able to be submerge in water for 30 minutes. So, rain should effect it. Even then I have a case on it, which will help with water-resistance.

SigSide.jpg

Fearedbynone

i picked up a water proof case from amazon for 12 bucks for the note 5. its sealed with rubber, you can only use the touch screen, no buttons. its only going to be for when i get caught in the rain. keeping it in the under seat storage.

http://www.amazon.com/Galaxy-Waterproof-Vcloo%C2%AE-Protective-Carrying/dp/B015O80RWI?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

i also got a gps app called co-pilot. it works well and was under 10 bucks.

Dave

Archived