The MT-07 Forum

captainbettie (eBay) Radiator Guard Review & Installation

07echelon

I just bought this rad guard. (HYPERLINK TO PRODUCT)

WHY I BOUGHT IT:
It fits all I wanted from a purchased rad guard.
1. Cheaper than the other commercial ones available. Only $72 USD.
2. It fits the entire trim of the radiator, including the bottom right hump. Very clean looking.
3. Holes are not too big/small
4. Solid edges to give more resistance to flexing when debris might hit it.
5. It's in black!

PACKAGE:
Came in bubble wrap insulated envelope. Pretty simple. No damage, no complaints.
qkNAuXa.jpg
TOOLS NEEDED:
1x - 5mm allen key
1x - 10mm socket (an extension helps, but not needed)

INSTALLATION:
1. Instructions - If you're not mechanically inclined, don't worry, monkeys could do this. 
jt1yd0B.jpg

Notes:
1. The instruction to remove the 4 captive bolts is correct. You won't be able to install the radiator guard even if you keep them, I tried.
2. You don't need thread locker for the bolts that are to be reused. The nuts they supply have a rubber insert that serve the purpose of thread locker.
3.  The UK flag badge on the guard is purely optional. You can even note in your ebay order that you don't want the UK flag badge. I didn't have a problem with it, but upon installation I decided to go for the minimalist look and remove it. To remove the badge all you need is a sharp edge to peel it. It left no residue and was easily removed once you get an edge under it.

LGD231V.jpg

RESULT:
7llryGy.jpg

HKSKgbK.jpg

8qwAY9s.jpg

I'm very happy with this purchase for the same exact reasons I listed in the very beginning. The metal is solid and does not flex when hitting it. I don't know how, or if it will affect operating temperatures, but I will updated this thread when I get the chance to ride again. Overall, I'd strongly recommend this radiator guard for the previously stated reasons. If you're looking for a radiator guard, this should 100% be in the running for you.

At the time of buying, the ebay seller captainbettie shipped for free which is very generous considering this product shipped from the UK to the US. The product arrived in 6 business days, which again is great considering shipment across oceans.

How about a link to them on ebay? I can't find the captainbettie ebay store so please post a link so others on here can actually order or at least check em out.

I just bought this rad guard.  
WHY I BOUGHT IT:
It fits all I wanted from a purchased rad guard.
1. Cheaper than the other commercial ones available. Only $72 USD.
2. It fits the entire trim of the radiator, including the bottom right hump. Very clean looking.
3. Holes are not too big/small
4. Solid edges to give more resistance to flexing when debris might hit it.
5. It's in black!

PACKAGE:
Came in bubble wrap insulated envelope. Pretty simple. No damage, no complaints.
qkNAuXa.jpg
TOOLS NEEDED:
1x - 5mm allen key
1x - 10mm socket (an extension helps, but not needed)

INSTALLATION:
1. Instructions - If you're not mechanically inclined, don't worry, monkeys could do this. 
jt1yd0B.jpg

Notes:
1. The instruction to remove the 4 captive bolts is correct. You won't be able to install the radiator guard even if you keep them, I tried.
2. You don't need thread locker for the bolts that are to be reused. The nuts they supply have a rubber insert that serve the purpose of thread locker.
3.  The UK flag badge on the guard is purely optional. You can even note in your ebay order that you don't want the UK flag badge. I didn't have a problem with it, but upon installation I decided to go for the minimalist look and remove it. To remove the badge all you need is a sharp edge to peel it. It left no residue and was easily removed once you get an edge under it.

LGD231V.jpg

RESULT:
7llryGy.jpg

HKSKgbK.jpg

8qwAY9s.jpg

I'm very happy with this purchase for the same exact reasons I listed in the very beginning. The metal is solid and does not flex when hitting it. I don't know how, or if it will affect operating temperatures, but I will updated this thread when I get the chance to ride again. Overall, I'd strongly recommend this radiator guard for the previously stated reasons. If you're looking for a radiator guard, this should 100% be in the running for you.

At the time of buying, the ebay seller captainbettie shipped for free which is very generous considering this product shipped from the UK to the US. The product arrived in 6 business days, which again is great considering shipment across oceans.

According to the tracking information mine is in U.S.A. and I might get it tomorrow! :)
 The vendor is very nice and responds quickly to questions. I asked for the badge to be included but separate so I can put it on my Mini Cooper and it was not a problem. I'm glad to hear that the product is as nice as I was expecting it to be. 

My guard arrived today, I have no time to install it just now but it sure is a solid piece. It's thick and the rolled edges give it extra stiffness but it's not too heavy.
  I'll have to see how close it's going to be to front of the radiator when it's installed. There are some sharp burrs around the hex shaped holes on the backside which might need to be removed. If there is a sufficient gap when installed I won't need to address the burrs.
  All in all I'm quite pleased at this point. The service was terrific and the product is rather nice and it's well designed.   

Archived