zoomr81

Moto Dynamics Integrated Tail Light

zoomr81
Does anyone have any experience with these Integrated Tail Lights? 

Motodynamics 2015-2016 Yamaha FZ-07 MT-07 Sequential LED Tail Lights Smoked

I am thinking of purchasing one and removing the bulky tail piece plate holder thing and signal lights completely. 

For $89.95 it looks pretty nice... 

Still up in the air on Smoke or Clear?  I think the Smoke will blend into the Tail better... but the Clear will be more visible... 

jeffkisthename
I hate telling people to search, but yes, there are people on here who have this light, and there are some threads about it.

Summary, some people like it, some people say it isn't bright enough during the day, but perfect at night and some say it's bright enough during the day, but the light pattern is not desirable.

I too have been eyeing this light, but have not made a decision on it myself. I like having actual turn signals, so... that's my 2 cents and a nickle.

GAZ
I don't regret my purchase and it saves me from flashing cars as it has built in brake flash. The brightness is subjective. I've seen both in the daylight and prefer motodynamics.
  • Like 2

xdr
I have the MD smoke and love it. Others have complained about brightness but I dont see any issues.
  • Like 2

zoomr81
Thanks for the feedback... I am looking not just for the effects but for a clean look and plug and play application. Not a fan of cutting up a brand new bike. At least right now... :-) I had one of these tail lights in my old kawasaki but it was a knock off that lasted on a year. Wasn't that bright either. I think after the crazy holiday shipping issues calm down gonna pick up the smoked one.

Mr.Puss
I got this one a while back, love it.  
taillight.jpg
 Yes! +1 for the look of this one. I'll most likely get this in the future if and when I get tired of the OEM.  
How/ what flashes during signaling?

azuryn
I ended up getting the clear version on accident, and ended up applying some spray on tint and it came out nicely. It seems bright enough for cars to see and notice but I haven't actually been able to see how it looks on the road. In general I love the look of the clean tail. Installation was pretty easy, although taking off all those plastic plates and keeping the pins and screws in order is a pain. other than that it is pretty plug in play.

As a side note I did break some of the plastic on the light itself in order to make it fit flush with the side plates, not sure if this was no intended or if I just forced it too much but I don't notice it at all since it is behind the side plates.

garrim
I got this one a while back, love it.  
taillight.jpg
 Yes! +1 for the look of this one. I'll most likely get this in the future if and when I get tired of the OEM.  
How/ what flashes during signaling?

Here you go:

$_1.JPG
  • Like 1

haze87
I have the Smoked MD tail light. I love it. The strobe effect is great at lights and if I ever feel like someone may be coming a bit to fast, I just give the break a quick tap and it will strobe again to get their attention. I've never had any issue with its brightness, I actually feel like it can be a bit much. I live down in Florida and it's pretty sunny and bright all year round, maybe some units are different?

It was a blessing to rip off that horrible orange rear indicators and just have it all integrated, and its a pretty simple install!

mjh937
I like the looks of the integrated signals, but I just know I would get a ticket. I already got a $200+ ticket because my cars front license plate was the older style.  The cops around here are just looking for something to raise funds. 

garrim
I'm not savvy on Washington's laws for bikes, but unless they have some kind of minimum distance between signals law, etc., there should be no problem. Here in TX, bikes don't even have to have signals (which is insane!). Just look up the laws? Worth a few minutes of research rather than just assuming, you could be in the clear and have an awesome integrated tail light.

cndnmax
I'm not savvy on Washington's laws for bikes, but unless they have some kind of minimum distance between signals law, etc., there should be no problem. Here in TX, bikes don't even have to have signals (which is insane!). Just look up the laws? Worth a few minutes of research rather than just assuming, you could be in the clear and have an awesome integrated tail light.

It's not a state law, it's a Federal Requirement (not only is there a min distance but they have to be visible from the side at a particular angle). It's no secret that these integrated and most aftermarket tai lights are "off road use only". Then again, who's going to care.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/maninfo/mcpkg002.pdf
"At or near the front - 1 amber on each side of the vertical centerline at the same height, and having a minimum horizontal separation distance (centerline of lamps) of 16 inches. Minimum edge to edge separation distance between lamp and headlamp is 4 inches.
At or near the rear - 1 red or amber on each side of the vertical centerline, at the same height and having a minimum horizontal separation distance (centerline to centerline of lamps) of 9 inches. Minimum edge to edge separation distance between lamp and tail or stop lamp is 4 inches, when a single stop and tail lamp is installed on the vertical centerline and the turn signal lamps are red."

sorkyah
It's not a state law, it's a Federal Requirement (not only is there a min distance but they have to be visible from the side at a particular angle). It's no secret that these integrated and most aftermarket tai lights are "off road use only". Then again, who's going to care.  
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/maninfo/mcpkg002.pdf
"At or near the front - 1 amber on each side of the vertical centerline at the same height, and having a minimum horizontal separation distance (centerline of lamps) of 16 inches. Minimum edge to edge separation distance between lamp and headlamp is 4 inches.
At or near the rear - 1 red or amber on each side of the vertical centerline, at the same height and having a minimum horizontal separation distance (centerline to centerline of lamps) of 9 inches. Minimum edge to edge separation distance between lamp and tail or stop lamp is 4 inches, when a single stop and tail lamp is installed on the vertical centerline and the turn signal lamps are red."
The fed requirement applies to new vehicle models
hence the reason we have those shitty pumpkin lamps
aftermarket addons are acceptable as long as they dont violate the state/local statutes that govern the district of registration
even then it's up to officer's discrection
  • Like 1