The MT-07 Forum

New to the forum, prospective FZ07 owner

straydogeod

Hello all, Brad here.  I don't currently own an FZ07 however I am very interested in possibly changing that in the near future.  I won't go all through every bike I've owned in the past; right now I've got a 2013 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S, 2009 KTM 690 SMC, 2010 YZ450F (with SM wheels as well as knobbies), and a little CRF100 beater that I use to teach my friends how to ride, let them play with on trails, and throw 16" wheels and street rubber on for mini road racing on the cheap.

Long story short, the Mulitstrada isn't my cup of tea.  I've got about 5k miles on it and the bike performs amazingly, no doubts there.  I can't quite pin it down but I just don't love the bike.  Probably has something to do with the high cost of the desmo service ($1200/15k miles) and maintenance, "heavy" (in relative terms, I know it's actually pretty good) weight, tall seat height, and the fuel sensor that's built to fail and causes irritating error codes.  

I've had some high hp bikes over the years but ever since I started messing around with Supermotos and racing minis back in 2010, I've been a firm supporter of the "it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow" campaign.  I don't mean to imply the FZ is slow, but it's surely not a 150+ hp sport bike-and I'm 100% okay with that.  I had an SV650S before the Multi and the smiles per mile were just awesome on that thing.  Cheap, reliable, fun and easy to work on, handled great, the list goes on.  Right now I'm in between the FZ07 and a used SV650S so I'm here to lurk, read and learn as much about the bike as I can to help influence my purchase decision.

Welcome, I can only speak for myself but I find the fz07 amazingly fun to the point I rode to work today when it was 21 degrees outside with regular dress pants, haven't invested in a motorcycle pair yet. But it's so fun I prefer to take the bike!

Welcome @straydogeod thanks for joining us.

The FZ-07 is just a sexy damn bike. One of the best looking bikes ever made. And then the sound of that engine after putting on an M-4 or other exhaust and it sounds sexy as hell too.

Even better, get ahold of @Pattonme or Traxion Dymanmics, getthe suspension upgraded for your weight and riding style, and then you have a sexy lightweight bike that freaking rails thru the corners.

Oh, and all of that for under $8500, if you do it all carefully.

Pretty soon, you will start seeing more FZ-07's at the track.

Get one, come back and post some pics and then start your "Build thread" for thousands to see all over the world, for years to come.

• Global Moderator

I second everything that @admin says...except for the exhaust. I am happy with the stock sound. It is not loud, but personally I like that. I do not think there is a bike out there that is more fun per $.

• Global Moderator

Ill also second everything @cruizin says
Also... yoshi exhaust is best

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member
Ill also second everything @cruizin says Also... yoshi exhaust is best
Word ! ! ! 
+1 for Yoshi exhaust!

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Welcome @straydogeod thanks for joining us.  
The FZ-07 is just a sexy damn bike. One of the best looking bikes ever made. And then the sound of that engine after putting on an M-4 or other exhaust and it sounds sexy as hell too.

Even better, get ahold of @pattonme or Traxion Dymanmics, getthe suspension upgraded for your weight and riding style, and then you have a sexy lightweight bike that freaking rails thru the corners.

Oh, and all of that for under $8500, if you do it all carefully.

Pretty soon, you will start seeing more FZ-07's at the track.

Get one, come back and post some pics and then start your "Build thread" for thousands to see all over the world, for years to come.

Out of the bikes I'm looking at the moment (09 SV650S, FZ09, Street Triple R) I personally feel the 07 looks the best of the bunch!  Especially in white.  I also like reading the reviews about it's power output and character, as well as comfort with how the ergos are.  On top of all that, Yamaha nailed it with the MSRP on these bikes, the smiles per miles has got to be a great ratio considering everything you get for the price you pay.  Should I find an FZ07 in my stable (90% sure I will soon) suspension will definitely get an upgrade because I plan to be one of those FZ07s you see at the track!  I watched that video of one at NYST and holy hell that dude was boogeyin!  I've got New Jersey Motorsports Park about an hour away and NYST a few more hours north so that is definitely happening.  

And when, I mean "if" (yeah right, it is happening) there will be photos and videos!!! :D

What I'm looking for out of my next bike is:  fun, playful character that I love (like my 690 SMC), comfort for long mileage days in a row for moto-adventures, light weight, great handling, down low torque/punchy power.  

Everything I've read this bike does all of those well, some extremely well.  Plus, with the price tag coupled with Yamaha reliability and low maintenance, I'm ready to get the hell back home (overseas for another month) and throw a leg over one, sign some paperwork, take her home and let the fun begin!

2013 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S, 2009 KTM 690 SMC
You will definitely want to do something to the suspension given the pedigree of what you're riding now. IMO the FZ07 is this decade's "sv650" displacing Suzuki after they lost the plot. The ergos on the 2005+ SV are GSXR-level severe since the -N model was pretty much phased out. The FZ is a "rider's bike", like the SV was. 
If you want to see a FZ07 tearing up the track check out what this admittedly experienced rider does with his and on stock forks!! Track is NJMP Thunderbolt from the looks of it.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

2013 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S, 2009 KTM 690 SMC
You will definitely want to do something to the suspension given the pedigree of what you're riding now. IMO the FZ07 is this decade's "sv650" displacing Suzuki after they lost the plot. The ergos on the 2005+ SV are GSXR-level severe since the -N model was pretty much phased out. The FZ is a "rider's bike", like the SV was. 
If you want to see a FZ07 tearing up the track check out what this admittedly experienced rider does with his and on stock forks!! Track is NJMP Thunderbolt from the looks of it.

One of the things that drew me to the 07 was that very SV reference.  I had a 2007 SV650S and with some mods (bar risers, touring screen, GSXR suspension) it was a great spork of a bike, so good at so many things.  From what I've read so far, it sounds like the FZ07 is almost everything the SV was, if not more and modernized a bit.

Yup, that's the video I watched the other day (confused it with NYST, not sure why), pretty awesome and shows how skill is more important than the bike.  I was also just reading your post on suspension and sounds like forks by matt will be in the soon after bike purchase future!

Archived