The MT-07 Forum

Lithium grease on exhaust gaskets?

pineappleunderthesea

pineappleunderthesea

So looking at the service manual, it says to use lithium grease on the two exhaust gaskets if you replace them when changing the exhaust. 

Is this truly necessary?  Or are they saying that just so they stay in place when placing the exhaust back on?  I guess the grease would help seal any leaks, but that's what the gaskets are supposed to do....

Copper or Moly ( molybdenum disulphide) paste greases will do a better job on super high temperature surfaces.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Back in the day (like last year) all I did was use all purpose grease.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

AlbatrossCafe

I replaced my exhaust with the Akra Carbon at about 1200 miles around a month ago. I bought new gaskets and didn't use any grease. I suppose the grease can't hurt, but like you said, they are "gaskets" for a reason. I don't have any leaks.

booboobusfz07

I didn't use any when I put my leovince on. I had some permatex ultra copper on hand had I wanted to use it. Everything went smooth without it.

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

I put some on just to hold the new gaskets in place. All I did was dab it.

SigSide.jpg

• Global Moderator

Moly lube is expensive. You can pick up a tube of the permatex copper anti-sieze/gasket sealant for around 7 bucks
I think their moly was upwards of 25

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

The thing about moly is that it has a ridiculously high melting point. But copper is fine. I always have both around. I don't like putting copper on aluminium, but It probably isn't a problem at the exhaust. Just habit I guess.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• 2 weeks later...

I think the only reason for putting grease on the gaskets is to help you hold them in place. In that case, you'd probably be fine with good ol' lithium, as it would just melt/burn off anyway. Or they used to make some stuff called assembly fluid. It was sort of a consistency of something between grease and oil, and it's sole purpose, or at least the only thing I ever used it for, was "sticking" something together before you assembled it. I've not seen it sold anywhere for years, so I just use grease anymore.

One more thing, I just installed a Terminogni exhaust on mine this past Sunday, 27 Dec 15. I didn't use any grease on the exhaust gaskets as I was able to get them to stay in there pretty easily. I'm in Indiana and there's a lot of people around here building arks right now because it's rained so much, and it's cold, so I haven't had a chance to actually ride it, but I've started and revved it for "testing" with the different baffles in and everything else and I have no leaks

pineappleunderthesea
I think the only reason for putting grease on the gaskets is to help you hold them in place. In that case, you'd probably be fine with good ol' lithium, as it would just melt/burn off anyway. Or they used to make some stuff called assembly fluid. It was sort of a consistency of something between grease and oil, and it's sole purpose, or at least the only thing I ever used it for, was "sticking" something together before you assembled it. I've not seen it sold anywhere for years, so I just use grease anymore. 
One more thing, I just installed a Terminogni exhaust on mine this past Sunday, 27 Dec 15. I didn't use any grease on the exhaust gaskets as I was able to get them to stay in there pretty easily. I'm in Indiana and there's a lot of people around here building arks right now because it's rained so much, and it's cold, so I haven't had a chance to actually ride it, but I've started and revved it for "testing" with the different baffles in and everything else and I have no leaks
I did end up using lithium grease to hold the gaskets in place, they wouldn't quite stay by themselves in my case.  Haven't had any issues after 100 miles of riding.  I quickly checked for leaks initially by putting my hand over the exhaust tip and trying to feel any air coming out of the joints or exhaust port gasket area, didn't feel anything.  I also don't have any popping on deceleration, so looks like it's all good.

• Global Moderator
kent automotive, napa, and mcmaster-carr all carry an assembly paste
i see mostly the kent product at work... its almost like a thick jelly

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

I put some on just to hold the new gaskets in place. All I did was dab it.

This. Mostly this. Grease is a super common thing used to keep gaskets in place.

Archived