The MT-07 Forum

New Rider and Some Questions

azuryn

Just got my FZ-07 yesterday and I love it so far. I do have some questions about mods.

1) How big of an impact do windscreens have at highway speeds? I am looking at the Puig sport screens  but feel as if the coverage they do have will be noticeable at all. (Typically cruise 75-85 mph)

2) Do all exhausts require a reflash or a fuel controller in order for the bike to function normally? I am thinking of getting a slip on some time in the future and this is something I would need to think about since that would be a bit more money to have a shop do that for me.
[span]    [/span]

• Premium Member

Windscreens will make a difference proportional to size. If you are cruising 75-85 a lot, you probably want a larger screen 22" or so, if you want to maximize comfort. The problem is, naked bikes don't look that great with a large windscreen. One option is to get a Madstad screen with brackets that allow you to swap from a flyscreen, that looks good on the FZ-07 to a larger screen when you want to hit the highway.  As far as exhaust, slip-on's are not that popular with the FZ-07 because of the construction of the OE system.  Most name brands supply complete systems and most require a fuel controller, not all though.  The Akrapovic Ti system works without a controller, and I've seen a few others that claim the same. 
Nice choice for a bike, and ride safe!

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member
IMG_20151213_181813_zpsoswiczy5.jpg

As mentioned above the windscreen look ugly with this naked bike... i got this puig small one and the bufferying is almost gone...i too debated the exhaust but opted to leave it stock as its not worth it to me since i dont care for power not to mention the price and fuel controller..

Check the for sale section as paul has lots of these windscreens like mine. I got mine from him for a good deal..

Nice, I will check out the Akropovic systems soon, I definitely feel more comfortable knowing cars can hear me when I am passing or filtering.. (Too bad they cost an arm and a leg). How do you like that screen forcefed86?

AlbatrossCafe
Nice, I will check out the Akropovic systems soon, I definitely feel more comfortable knowing cars can hear me when I am passing or filtering.. (Too bad they cost an arm and a leg). How do you like that screen forcefed86?
Akra has a titanium model and a carbon model. A lot of people like the Akras because they have a very deep/throaty sound. I would recommend the "Carbon" out of those two as it is lighter and cheaper. 
Both will run fine without any ECU flash or fuel management. There are around 10-12 or so other full exhaust systems, and one popular slip-on (m4). Since this is a small displacement engine, almost all of them will run fine as long as you leave the baffle in. Modern ECUs are pretty capable these days. However, if you plan to run an exhaust with the baffle out, you will most definitely need a fuel controller or flash.

• Premium Member
I like it, i can tell a slight difference and less turbulance at 80 or so. ..i usually do around 80-90ish so its less buffering than before...i will try and make a bracket to raise the shield an inch or so to have a better effect since im going to do like a 500 miles trip to the california coast. i too was looking at the akropovic titanium as in my opinion its the best looking one since i like the short stock  pipe, but man they are proud of their metal for $900.  

Cruizin i would love to annoy the shit out of my neighbor that works for the city

I found a great deal on the titanium version through some Italian shop. (Not sure if they are trust worthy or not, but it was done through Paypal so I have confidence that if does go wrong I can get a refund.) I definitely will leave the baffle both because I don't want to go through the extra hassle of an ECU flash or annoying my neighbors too much. The bike really feels like it needs an exhaust, it accelerates like a bat out of hell but sounds like a Prius.

Think I will hold off on the windscreen for now, even if the headlight does look kinda droopy.

Thanks for all the advice and feedback, you guys are awesome.

you want to be heard, USE the F'n HORN. Yes, I filter beeping my way down the row, not incessantly but whenever I get a whiff of questionable movement.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member

Looks like you already got a ton of advice on the subject, so for now, I'll just say...

Welcome to the forum!

:)

- Paulie

• Premium Member

As far as exhausts go you may also want to check out Delkevic. They sound great, easy to install, no need to flash, and they are 1/3 the price of the akra. FYI. Safe riding :-)

• Premium Member

Im pretty pleased with my Yoshimura r77 full SS exhaust. I also picked up the Dobeck EJK which is super easy to install and tweak, so if you can use a "screwdriver" and then push a few buttons there's no need to get pillaged from a shop. I havent had much time to play with it but everyone here who uses Dobeck's device notices a large improvement to the bikes performance overall regardless of the brand of exhaust.

I also picked up a Rizoma polycarbonate "windscreen" which is probably one of the most minimalist screen out there, so as far as I can feel, its results are relative to its size.
My 2 cents.

Welcome and enjoy your ride! You'll find every last answer here, and if not just ask; everyone here is great.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

You mentioned slip-on in your original post, I recently installed the M4 exhaust on mine myself, I haven't stopped grinning since and it's been a few days. It was super easy, your cuts don't have to be immaculate, just straight enough, and cleaned up a little bit, good to go. You can always get the original cat/exhaust welded back on (and would cost practically nothing, it's such a small job). But if you are at all apprehensive or want to keep the stock exhaust intact for resale, definitely look into one of the full exhausts available. Either way you go, you can not go wrong. All of the options sound immensely better than stock and whether you go full or slip-on, anybody can do it, it's incredibly hard to mess up.

EJK isn't exactly necessary as others stated, but it does make the bike feel a little more responsive and ultimately only does good things. Can install in your sleep, real easy. Any of the exhausts (especially the full systems which are just bolt and go) and the EJK both I would encourage anyone to do themselves rather than paying a shop to do it. It's just not necessary if you have a way to do it yourself (tools).

My bike came (used with 400 miles) with an Ermax screen. I haven't bothered to take it off and see how much it is helping with the wind/buffeting but I'm sure it's doing something, simple aerodynamics. If you feel like you could stand even just a little less wind, definitely look into getting some kind of screen, even if it's a smaller one. The size is proportionate to how effective it is, of course, but even the small ones do something.

I have an Arrow full system and it runs fine without a fuel controller. I also have a Dart flyscreen which works well in that it reduces buffeting, but its looks are a matter of taste.

IMG_1642_zpsqwapihs7.jpg

IMG_1654_zpscoeui5nc.jpg

Archived