The MT-07 Forum

New Bike and the chain is too loose, i think?

bikergeek

Hi everyone,

Question for the mechanically inclined. I have a new bike, less than 50km on it, and recent posts about wheel alignment and such got me looking at my chain and alignment. I'm not sure if the play in the chain is ok. At rest, the chain is resting on the rubber chain guide on the top of the swing arm. Underneath, the measurement is just at 58mm at point A.

The owner's manual says ideal play in the chain is 51mm - 56mm. I'm having trouble determining where the measurement should be based on the picture in the manual. It could be just over, or very over.  There is a rubber chain guide under the swingarm and it could throw off the measurement based on where you take the reading.  Is it A, B, or C?

Thanks in advance.

20151213_162809_zpswxrmhdke.jpg

According to my manual it's closest to 'B', however the measurement is from the centre of the chain's lower run when pushed down with a force of 3.0 lbf, to the lowest part of the guide (about halfway between 'A' and 'B' in your picture). So if you use 'A' you'll be very close. It's also better to be slightly too loose than too tight. When you tighten the LHS axle nut, it'll try and rotate the RHS outer alloy piece and change the setting, so it's best to do that little job with a helper to hang onto the RHS outer and avoid the rotation. Basically, this type of chain adjuster is a pig of a thing! :-/

• Premium Member

In accordance with the manual, it is to be measured from the center of the link to point A.

Everything went braap.

According to my manual it's closest to 'B', however the measurement is from the centre of the chain's lower run when pushed down with a force of 3.0 lbf, to the lowest part of the guide (about halfway between 'A' and 'B' in your picture). So if you use 'A' you'll be very close. It's also better to be slightly too loose than too tight. When you tighten the LHS axle nut, it'll try and rotate the RHS outer alloy piece and change the setting, so it's best to do that little job with a helper to hang onto the RHS outer and avoid the rotation. Basically, this type of chain adjuster is a pig of a thing! :-/  
Thanks. I think I was pushing down on the chain too much. Your quote of the 3.0 lbf made me reconsider how much tension I was putting on the chain. Also, by moving to the end of the guide, like you said, between A and B in the pic, it came in at a happy 55mm. :)

I have found that if by pushing hard on the chain with my fingers
I can make the chain just touch point b it's about right, I know
thats not what the book says but it work for me and gives the correct
setting without getting the ruler out, a handy test when you are looking
round the bike, they go out of adjustment quickly over the firs few hundred miles
then settle down.

Archived