The MT-07 Forum

cfzd Build Thread - Tail Tidy

cfzd

Latest update: 
3c4cd5d1-f50c-436b-b2d3-7381a0e79312_zpsk0jwqynr.jpg

As the name implies, going to use this as my log on any modding I do to the bike.  I'll try my best to keep the picture above updated with the latest and greatest for everyone that doesn't want to scroll through the wall of text that will likely build up.

Been waiting on Motodynamic's Tail light to show up for a few days, and was pleasantly surprised to see it had shown up when I walked in the door from work.  Immediately started breaking the bike down and got the install done in about an hour.  Pretty awesome kit, not going to lie.  Completely plug and play.  The only thing that I had to cut was a zip tie securing some of the OEM wiring.  I just pulled the floppy stock blinkers off for now, will assess and see if the tail light itself is sufficient.  I think it looks pretty good, and whenever the tail tidy shows up it will tie in nicely with the back end.  Anyways here's a few shots.

Breaking her down and a pile of parts

20151208_193409_zps3el07lkk.jpg
I brought a lot more tools home from work than I needed.  Literally you just need what you have under your seat and some bigger allen keys.

Installed and turned off.
20151208_210031_zpsz5q2bshe.jpg
I opted for the smoked tail light.  I think they could have went a little darker, but it looks pretty good I think.  

20151208_210007_zpsmftuwfda.jpg
It does a neat little flash whenever you hit the brakes to get people's attention.  The integrated signals are nice and bright too.  I was worried they would wash out with the light, but they don't.  The red lights turn off as the amber lights come on, so it is pretty clear.  I'm happy so far.  

Just need that tail tidy (and a wash) and I'll feel better about the tail end.  

b121501_zpsafioryvc.png
Got the side panels and the brackets on the side of the engine off and now just waiting for them to dry

Unfortunately when I was using acetone to remove the gunk left behind from the sticker and the decals some got onto the little plastic side scoop and blemished the plastic a little bit.  Motivation to get an aftermarket scoop?  Maybe.  Hopefully it won't be too noticeable.

121502_zpsvmrs4rai.jpg
Now just gotta wait for it to dry and we'll see how it looks on the bike.

There we go, paint dry and everything put back together.  Looks a lot different without the silver tank, but I'm happy.  More in line with last year's graphite and makes the blue stand out a lot more I think.

121502b_zpsilqtb8ii.jpg
Hopefully tomorrow the sun comes out so I can see what it looks like in some real light.

• Global Moderator

Looks awesome but you missed a couple things....
Kick plates? Rearsets?

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

I've been thinking about those, now that you mention it. I will more than likely get some aftermarket rearsets for a little bit more agressive riding position. There are a few options in black. I wasn't sure how my paint would hold up on those parts.

• Global Moderator
I've been thinking about those, now that you mention it. I will more than likely get some aftermarket rearsets for a little bit more agressive riding position. There are a few options in black. I wasn't sure how my paint would hold up on those parts.
paint on the kickplates cant take take the abuse
i tried with mine and the paint wore through in less than a week

If its budgetable.... i'd recommend the gilles rearsets(they are freaking awesome) or the drivens... depends on how aggressive you're trying to get

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Man those mirrors are more a PITA than anything else. I can't see anything out of them unless I contort myself so I have been looking for solutions. The back fenders days are numbered one way or another as are the passenger footrests.

Well just have to see what ends up in the garage after Christmas before any more purchases are made.

I was looking at the driven TT rearsets. I already feel more comfortable on the bike leaning forward with the balls of my feet on the pegs, so I think up and back will do some good. I have to catch myself when I'm cruising to position my feet properly.

So back from Christmas with a new tail tidy installed (mostly) just need to bring a few tools home from work and the LED will be wired up.  It tested out good when I hand jammed it together for a bit.  Anyways, on to the pics.

The fit is outstanding, although the color had a lil bit more purple to it than the frame.  Not enough that it will bother me, but worth pointing out for anyone more picky than I am.
700582ae-3235-4515-ad18-41d145b9fa60_zpskftnejfp.jpg

I think it cleaned the rear end up really well.  It came with some LED side markers too, but since I've got integrated turn signals in the tail lights the side markers will be going up front (soonish)...effectively killing two birds with one stone.  I also took this opportunity and removed the passenger foot rests.  I just re-used a mounting bolt and put the rear brake reservoir onto the frame itself.  I haven't decided what I am going to do about the spots on the tail tidy where the turn signals would normally go.  I was thinking about removing the factory side reflectors from the old bracket and mounting them but they just seemed a bit out of place.  I think this will work for now, aside from finishing up with the LED wiring tomorrow.
3c4cd5d1-f50c-436b-b2d3-7381a0e79312_zpsk0jwqynr.jpg

Also, my 5 year old got himself a new ride as well.  Moves right along at a blistering 2.5 MPH with all the luxuries of instant torque that an electric motor brings.
347486c2-7adc-498e-b1f3-cc0ac3b77f20_zps3qx0qurp.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Where is TX are you? if your in DFW area we should hit the roads with our Twins... LOL

It looks a little different from the picture below, I have added some body protection and removed the wing on the back.  :) 

IMG_0205.jpg

I really like that picture zoomr18. Something about the blue and white sky and bare trees with that color bike and the stance of the bike. It's not the most beautiful scenery (it's not bad either) but for some reason it really gets my attention.

• 3 weeks later...

I am down in Houston man. Made a few more changes (pics soon). Changed to the black raven tank covers from silver...Looks a lot better than my plastidip paint job for sure.

Archived