The MT-07 Forum

If you could make only ONE mod...

so1102

Guest 2wheeler

Radiator guard

While one might not consider this a modification, it sure would suck if you got stranded somewhere from a dead radiator.

If I could only do one model I think it would be suspension. That effects literally every aspect of riding. Although I'd be upset when I heard someone go by with a nice exhaust. .... and technically I could chop the rear fender off for free. Maybe wear my liscence plate across my back or something.

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

Either Suspension or crash protection (frame and both axles). I've already done one. now to save up for suspension.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

• Premium Member

I would say the exhaust was the best upgrade so far and that is that I went with the M4 slip on, but I guess suspension was just out of my budget at the time..my budget was more like gear then bike upgrades and trying to keep it all under $1000 for this off season

Paulie,
Again you make a very valid set of points. I think you are right. Biggest upgrade is rider upgrades.
OK I resind my suspension and exhaust and raise it to one rider training.
Then Everything else ( except tail tidy stuff. I can't see it. It doesn't effect performance so I don't care.)

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member
Paulie, Again you make a very valid set of points. I think you are right. Biggest upgrade is rider upgrades.
OK I resind my suspension and exhaust and raise it to one rider training.
Then Everything else ( except tail tidy stuff. I can't see it. It doesn't effect performance so I don't care.)

Well @gregjet , the original question of just one mod with a $1500 limit leaves it open to just about anything - One mod for what...performance? comfort? Safety? Protection? Rider skills training would cover all of that so I think it's the best bang for the buck, plus, it can transfer to any motorcycle :)

And if you had a $1500 budget for one mod, you could surely do a bunch of mods for that kind of cash, so it's a difficult question to answer really.

But, if we're sticking to the original intent of mods "to the bike itself", here are my thoughts...

One mod for performance? Rear sprocket. Rear sprocket because it's the one single mod that will make the MOST amount of difference, ALL OF THE TIME. A lot of people would probably say exhaust or suspension. An exhaust will net you less weight and maybe a few hp, but without a fuel controller (which would technically be two mods), I doubt the perceived performance gain of more sound and a few hp will actually win over a rear sprocket upgrade in a measured test. As for suspension, it's situational performance. You'd only really benefit from it when your pushing the bike hard, which I'm sure is not all the time. Commuting to work lets say, you would be equally happy on the stock suspension vs some high dollar Ohlins set up, which is why I stick to my rear sprocket upgrade for best performance upgrade - because it will make the MOST amount of difference, ALL OF THE TIME.

One mod for Visual Styling? Tail tidy. Tail tidy because it's the one single mod that drastically changes the bikes profile more than any other.

One mod for Protection? Frame sliders. Frame sliders because it's the one single mod designed to prevent most major damage to the bike.

So, having said all that, if I had to pick only one mod to the bike period, it would be frame sliders. With every bike I've ever owned, frame sliders were the FIRST mod I'd research. All of the other mods are great, but I was always taught there are two kinds of riders...ones that have gone down, and ones that will go down. If you do happen to find yourself shiny side down, frame sliders (in theory) will allow the least amount of damage to the expensive parts on the bike, which in turn should allow you to repair your bike faster and get back on the road having fun, which is why we all ride in the first place no?

:)

- Paulie

• Premium Member
...if I had to pick only one mod to the bike period, it would be frame sliders. With every bike I've ever owned, frame sliders were the FIRST mod I'd research. All of the other mods are great, but I was always taught there are two kinds of riders...ones that have gone down, and ones that will go down. If you do happen to find yourself shiny side down, frame sliders (in theory) will allow the least amount of damage to the expensive parts on the bike, which in turn should allow you to repair your bike faster and get back on the road having fun, which is why we all ride in the first place no? 

- Paulie

This was the very first mod I did to mine -- I installed frame sliders when I picked it up at the dealer. I can be overly cautious that way. :)

• Premium Member
This was the very first mod I did to mine -- I installed frame sliders when I picked it up at the dealer. I can be overly cautious that way. :)

I like the way you think Sir!

- Paulie

I don't crash, so frame sliders are pointless. ;)
No seriously I can't think of the last time I had a bike let go except on a track. A hot track. with 5yr old rain tires. At the end of the day. When they were shagged beyond all recognition.

Bent the bark-buster good (KTM SMR) but that was the extent of damage.

True my SV has guards on it but they've yet to kiss the ground in 40,000 miles of street, snow (yes 1" worth on I95) and a zillion track days.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member
I don't crash, so frame sliders are pointless. ;) No seriously I can't think of the last time I had a bike let go except on a track. A hot track. with 5yr old rain tires. At the end of the day. When they were shagged beyond all recognition.

Bent the bark-buster good (KTM SMR) but that was the extent of damage.
So you're in the "have gone down" category.  Doesn't mean it won't happen again...just saying ;) 
In all seriousness...I'm not really worried about the bike letting go either, but I can't account for all the other folks on the road doing silly things causing an accident :)

- Paulie

• Premium Member

My first mod was the frame sliders.

I'd probably do that as my only one or a  moto-gymkhana type crash cage.

My first mod was framesliders. But that is because I went home, looked the bike over and made a set ( and found the stripped right engine bolt hole at the same time so technically that was the first mod. Helicoil...). I had already ordered the Exhaust but that took a week to arrive.

Pattonme,
"A hot track. with 5yr old rain tires. At the end of the day. When they were shagged beyond all recognition." So did you just have a messy breakup with a partner or did you just discover you had incurable cancer?

I tend to think of the rider and bike as a unit so I still think rider . It's the same sort of arguement and "guns don't kill poeple" one. It 's combination that matters not the separable sub unit. Hmmmm, I think I just intimated I am a sub-unit if a bike... Possible be true...LOL

well, to my credit, there were puddles on the track and I needed to burn up the tire. rain was threatening all afternoon and we got a good shower or two during the day but the organizer wouldn't let me go out in the rain.

Plus motards are supposed to be easy on tires. I wouldn't have tried it with the SV, mind.

I use 5 yr old Maxxis slicks on my SV and motard at the track. They work fantastic. Cost me 40-60 each. I pretty much cleaned everyone out who had them.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

The Maxxis slicks were incredible when they came out. Got my first knee puck surface removal on a set on a Aprillia rs125. Just stuck it on it's side with absolutely no drama. After riding bikes in classes where road tyres only were allowed , it was a revelation.
I suspect your's might have seen a few too many heat cycles by now, even standing still...

LOL no 'wifey' here @pattonme . Took care of that little issue 5 years ago (now that I re-read that it sounds like I took her body out to the desert -- actually no, I divorced her, kept the kids and the house, and now she lives a wonderful 2000 miles away).  

This mod is at the top of my list........too bad it will cost more then $1500!

First thing I did was a tail tidy. Then frame sliders. Thirdly and fourthly, I added a radiator guard and a Givi windscreen. Then Traxion springs and 15wt oil in the forks.

If I could only do one of the above, it'd be the tail tidy.

Archived