The MT-07 Forum

If you could make only ONE mod...

so1102

• Premium Member

... what would it be?

If you bought an 07 brand new and completely stock, and you knew you could only purchase one modification ever, what would it be?

Try to be realistic as much as possible - set the maximum spend (for this single, solitary mod) to say $1500 US, and it has to be something someone could do today if they wanted to.

I'm just curious.  :)

Exhaust, I really can't think of another thing that would improve so many aspects of the bike at once.

Not too distant second place would be tail tidy, there is ugly and then there is that thing.

Rear shock. Whats in there now feels like its sprung with wood and damping with peanut butter.

Then I'd have to forever dream about upgrading the front, but I at least it doesn't bother me as much as the rear.

That's too tough. 3 things NEED changing. 2 desperately. front and rear suspension are bloody aweful. The exhaust gets rid of a bit chunk of weight. I would have to break the rules and do all 3...but that's me anyway.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member
That's too tough. 3 things NEED changing. 2 desperately. front and rear suspension are bloody aweful. The exhaust gets rid of a bit chunk of weight. I would have to break the rules and do all 3...but that's me anyway.
Hey now the rules also apply down under as well, but I will allow the suspension mods to be considered one thing ;)

Actually that is one of the biggest problems with people making suspension mods. If you change the back the front will usually need to be changed as well and vice versa. NOT always but usually. They are interdependant.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member

If the suspension is a package deal, then that. Otherwise exhaust, because (I don't know for sure) crap suspension on one end and plush handling on the other sounds like it could cause some issues.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member
Exhaust, I really can't think of another thing that would improve so many aspects of the bike at once. 
Not too distant second place would be tail tidy, there is ugly and then there is that thing.
..."Not too distant second place would be tail tidy, there is ugly and then there is that thing."

Ha ha, You know initially I really liked the oem tail, and perhaps its reading the ceaseless widespread distaste for the thing that is slowly turning me to the tailess side...or perhaps Im running out of things to mod on this bike...or just maybe, the cold hard truth of it's blatant substantial hideousness is finally sinking in.... I dont know, maybe all of you oem tail nazis are on to something and I should just join ranks and pitch the thing into the growing box of oem parts, never to be seen again?  Yes...yes im going to do it.

(edit)....and there, it has been ordered...
 http://www.motostarz.ca/ermax-undertail-kit-for-2014-2015-yamaha-fz07-mt07.html?___SID=U

[attachment id=1149" thumbnail="1]

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Rear shock. Whats in there now feels like its sprung with wood and damping with peanut butter. 
Then I'd have to forever dream about upgrading the front, but I at least it doesn't bother me as much as the rear.
Absolutely agree with conejo. The rear shock is f-in dreadful! But since we're allowed to count front and rear as a package deal then that'd be my one mod.  >:D 

• Global Moderator

I probably should say suspension, but as I have not done that yet I will go with frame sliders. I think it looks unfinished the way the frame comes stock. And I am over $1,400 under budget :)

Everyone is going to feel differently about everything and I am so used to riding through ruts, bumps, rocks, mud, streams off road that things I feel on the road don't even start to compare so it isn't the shocks. I almost want to say the exhaust because it is too quiet and heavy and my aftermarket exhaust helps me to be heard by cars close by but ultimately being seen by oncoming traffic is my top concern so it's the lights. My new headlight makes me more noticeable in the day and night. I think about auxiliary lights (DRL's are on the way) more than any other add-on so it has to be the lights for me. Cool topic, btw.

Beemer

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

Can controls be grouped up like suspension? If so, then I'd say both my Woodcraft Clip-ons and Rear sets, because this bike is just a different bike with those pieces.

If not, then I'd say my Akrapovic Carbon exhaust is a prime candidate, because being heard is both a safety factor and a cool factor. Exhaust. Yup, brap brap.

SigSide.jpg

• Premium Member

One modification?

I'd say the best mod for the bike is to upgrade it's rider...Take the bike to some sort of riding instruction skills class ;)

Because I could never live with just *one* modification to the machine, ever.

:)

- Paulie

One modification? 
I'd say the best mod for the bike is to upgrade it's rider...Take the bike to some sort of riding instruction skills class ;)

- Paulie

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winnar! You won the thread!  :-)

• Global Moderator
One modification? 

- Paulie

suspension.... by far needs to be upgraded...
but riding instruction makes you able to cope with that... somewhat

For 1500 USD? Id keep my forks-by-matt and get a high quality rear shock to conplement it.

Then theres tires too.... something dual compound.... excellent durability mileage and grip....
damnit
why only one @so1102 ?

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

I think @so1102 got the wifey ultimatum: "you can buy just ONE thing and no more than $1500". Of course I'm biased, but I have to agree with suspension as [HASH]1. Training is hugely beneficial too and if you need to sell a kidney, do it. But the problem with doing track level training first is that you quickly discover the suspension deficiency and it stops many people cold so that they aren't comfortable pushing any further. A confident and skilled rider can ride a badly suspended bike faster than you could believe possible. But most of us aren't at that level, so 'fear' takes over.

PS. a WERA/CCS champion was riding a stock SV650 at Shenny in my session and he passed me so fast elbow on the ground I was embarrassed to call my self an ex-racer (novice class) and all delusions of grandeur went out the window. I put cartridge forks in his bike and he said he went another second/lap faster. faaack...

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member

LOL no 'wifey' here @pattonme. Took care of that little issue 5 years ago (now that I re-read that it sounds like I took her body out to the desert -- actually no, I divorced her, kept the kids and the house, and now she lives a wonderful 2000 miles away).

This is just a thought experiment. I wanted to see how you guys prioritize.

Suspension upgrade for me too, BTW. One of the side effects of being over 200lbs is that I cannot afford to choose sound (exhaust) over stability (suspension), for example.

• Global Moderator
LOL no 'wifey' here @pattonme. Took care of that little issue 5 years ago (now that I re-read that it sounds like I took her body out to the desert -- actually no, I divorced her, kept the kids and the house, and now she lives a wonderful 2000 miles away).  

Suspension upgrade for me too, BTW. One of the side effects of being over 200lbs is that I cannot afford to choose sound (exhaust) over stability (suspension), for example.
kinda does sound like that dude.... should we start near tonopah or maybe out near az city

I think @so1102 got the wifey ultimatum: "you can buy just ONE thing and no more than $1500". Of course I'm biased, but I have to agree with suspension as [HASH]1. Training is hugely beneficial too and if you need to sell a kidney, do it. But the problem with doing track level training first is that you quickly discover the suspension deficiency and it stops many people cold so that they aren't comfortable pushing any further. A confident and skilled rider can ride a badly suspended bike faster than you could believe possible. But most of us aren't at that level, so 'fear' takes over. 
PS. a WERA/CCS champion was riding a stock SV650 at Shenny in my session and he passed me so fast elbow on the ground I was embarrassed to call my self an ex-racer (novice class) and all delusions of grandeur went out the window. I put cartridge forks in his bike and he said he went another second/lap faster. faaack...

Damn.... now i wanna take back time and undo all my mods to invest in motogp training

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

Both interpretations are viable, don't worry. ;)

Everything went braap.

Replace the seat. Hands down the number one mod.

You can ride around suspension (Sucks but still). A quiet exhaust doesn't make or break a bike. The Mirrors are acceptable. But the seat is a board and is painful for anything more than 40 minutes.

Archived