The MT-07 Forum

fuel gauge - how low do you go?

enderokc

I just ran though my first tank, I let the gauge get down to one tick left on it. It then took 2.4 gallons to fill it back up.

How far can you go on one tank? and what happens when you go past that last tick? is there still fuel in there to get you to a gas station? Just want to make sure :) this is my first bike and all, hehe

• Global Moderator

Just doing the math, it is a 3.7 gallon tank, so you had about a third of a tank left. I am not sure if it is 3.7 gallons usable or 3.7 total. We will have to wait for someone to run the tank dry and fill it to find out for sure. I am not going to do that though.

• Global Moderator

So it looks like we have a little less than half a gallon of unusable fuel. That is good to know.

I went til the fuel reserve flashed. I didn't go any extra distance once I had hit that point.

Only filled 2 gallons !

• Global Moderator

I just filled mine up with 3 gallons. I was riding with a flashing bar for some time (in my mind it even started flashing more ferociously!)
It didn't cut out though. I managed 163 miles.

Guest MXRider

When I saw this thread it made me think of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer runs the car he is test driving out of gas and walks away.

n-KRAMER-SEINFELD-LOW-GAS-large570.jpg

• Like 1

I just filled mine up with 3 gallons. I was riding with a flashing bar for some time (in my mind it even started flashing more ferociously!) It didn't cut out though. I managed 163 miles.

You must ride hard!

I went 161 miles and the light started flashing.

Mind you, the first 50 miles of that distance was slow speeds. 40-50MPH

• Premium Member

I didn't even know that it had a flash warning. I'm always worried about running out of gas. I've already had experience pushing this bike up an incline.

• Global Moderator
When I saw this thread it made me think of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer runs the car he is test driving out of gas and walks away.
I love that scene. I remember he was driving a Saab. :D

• Global Moderator
I didn't even know that it had a flash warning. I'm always worried about running out of gas. I've already had experience pushing this bike up an incline.
You can use the flashing bar as an extra fuel bar.
  • Like 1

• Global Moderator

I refueled for the first time with two bars showing (I was just about to go on a longish ride and did not want to worry about it). It took two gallons.

• 4 years later...

Sorry for dredging up such an old thread, but I was wondering whether people now had some more experience with just how much you can expect out of the bike on a single bar?

I just hit one bar after about 160km (100 miles). Seems like I should have a huge amount left. I mean, if what I've read elsewhere is true, I could have another 2/5ths of a tank available. How long should expect to get before I start getting flashing and then how much further until the tank is actually empty? 

Mine starts flashing at around 250km. Don't worry about when you hit 1 bar, as that can happen soon or late, and depending on the angle your bike is parked at.

I use a trip mileage count to tell me to fill up after no more than 170 miles. Fuel stations few and far between here so that needs consideration. 

Just do it! 

Doubtful many if any people are going to be able to answer your two questions accurately for you. If you really want to know 'exactly that' you should keep a fuel bottle with you so that way you can run your bike until it's empty and use the fuel bottle to make it back to a gas station. Just don't get further away from a gas station than the bottle can supply enough fuel for. 😉

Beemer

evrythinturbo

Whelp up on the parkway today, I wasnt paying attention and my gas gauge went "empty" and started flashing, I made it 42.5 miles into trip f before i reached the gas station, it had maybe a 1/4 of a gallon MAYBE left in it, and took 3.2 gallons to fill it back up.

Findings from today.

Rode 260km, including 40km flashing on empty. Refill took 11.5L, so in theory I had 3.5L available.

11.5L/260km = 4.4L/100km, which is (surprisingly) really close to published fuel efficiency (4.51L/100km).

This also suggests that (for me), I could have squeezed around 330km out of the tank, and the empty light starts flashing when there is a bit over 100km left.

I have been riding at pretty low revs (probably averaging around 4k). I expect the efficiency to drop as I gain confidence/experience and push the bike harder.

Edited by mule

Bigturbomax

I ignore the gauge moslty these days. I mostly commute to work on mine at highway speed. I just use the trip odometer. After 3 days to and from work ill have gone 165 miles and it takes just below or above 3 gallons. Warning usually starts flashing around 130-140 miles on mine. 

Come to think of it,  a reading on the display stating miles since last fill up would be better than a doubtful gauge. It should auto reset when filling. Just need to top it each time.

Just do it! 

• 2 weeks later...

My light usually starts flashing around 240km (I reset at fill up). Other than this, the bars on the gauge are useless. Today I filled up at 255km and it took 10.8l so there should have been plenty left. I reckon I could safely go beyond 300km on a tank so I usually head for petrol at around the 270-280km mark. The bar starts flashing WAY too soon.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2019 at 8:21 PM, evrythinturbo said:

Whelp up on the parkway today, I wasnt paying attention and my gas gauge went "empty" and started flashing, I made it 42.5 miles into trip f before i reached the gas station, it had maybe a 1/4 of a gallon MAYBE left in it, and took 3.2 gallons to fill it back up.

Parkway mileage doesn't count unless your on the parkway. 

I've gone 40 miles on reserve with a total of 225 on a tank and didn't run out of gas.

stock bike 80 degrees temps 40 to 60 mph casual riding.

Unless you enjoy paying for and replacing fuel pumps in all your vehicles stop stretching your range.

Fuel pumps are cooled and lubed by the gas. Running them low and dry will kill them.

• Like 2

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.