The MT-07 Forum

New rider in Oregon!

JuggernautOfWar

JuggernautOfWar

Hey all! I'm new to these forums, and I'm a pretty new rider in general. I've got a red 2015 FZ-07 currently with 67 miles on it and I hear this is the place to ask questions, answer questions, and just hang out with some great riders. I'm in Corvallis Oregon and I'm really excited to see everything on these forums. There must be some great information here.

So is there anything I should know as a fairly new rider and new FZ-07 owner? What's some required information to get me started? I do know I want some kind of windshield since highway speeds almost blow me off the bike haha. I'm thinking about the Puig Touring windshield in dark smoke, here's a link: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/puig-naked-new-generation-windscreen-yamaha-fz-07-2015

style=max-width:100%http://i.imgur.com/FpF9jcZ.jpg

2015 Red FZ-07
Yoshimura Works R77 Carbon Fiber Full Exhaust
Puig Dark Smoke Touring Windshield

Welcome aboard! It's hard to say that there's anything required, it's more a question of what you desire or if you're having trouble with anything just give a shout out and we can help, maybe. Enjoy, be safe!

Nice pic, btw!

Beemer

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Welcome juggernautofwar! Most red owners don't need to vote because we already know we are the fastest.

The radiator is vulnerable to dings unprotected so a lot of us have put guards on it.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Welcome juggernautofwar! It's required that you get rid of the tank sticker. Seriously though you should get a radiator guard like hippiebikerchick said and get some sliders. I also like your picture. Looks like NH did 3 months ago.

JuggernautOfWar
Welcome juggernautofwar! It's required that you get rid of the tank sticker. Seriously though you should get a radiator guard like hippiebikerchick said and get some sliders. I also like your picture. Looks like NH did 3 months ago.
Haha yeah I really do need to get rid of the tank safety sticker. How do you suggest going about that without damaging the paint? 
What radiator guard do you recommend? Seems like that's one of the first additions everybody does with these bikes. Well, the guard and exhaust. I honestly want a new Yoshimura exhaust before I do much else, I've seen some videos and it sounds NICE with the Yoshi system. Looks better too than the stock really fat exhaust.

2015 Red FZ-07

• Premium Member

Welcome! Everyone has been great here; a super helpful community.

I have the yoshimura r77 SS full exhaust, it's awesome. My bike went from sewing machine to throaty beast. It seems you cant go wrong as a lot of the competing exhausts offer similar notes. 
"russian rider" on youtube is a decent source for a few accurate FZ07 tips.

I also picked up a Dobeck EJK to compliment the exhaust and overall performance. Havent had a chance to tune it as winter has hit but it has gotten rave reviews as well. Easy install.

I used "goop off" and my fingernail to scrape that pesky sticker.. a bit tedious and I'm sure there are better ways but it's gone. Removing it seems to give her a few more HP. ;)

Rad guards are plentiful. I picked up a SS one from 'Beowulf' in the uk. I like how this one covers the upper and lower tanks as well.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-MT-07-2013-onwards-BEOWULF-RADIATOR-PROTECTOR-GRILL-GUARD-Y031-L-/311497637509?hash=item4886b4be85:g:-GkAAOSwpDdVW1UH&vxp=mtr

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

I used my fingernail and then Goo Gone to take off the sticky residue from the sticker. I made a radiator guard but will get the Evotech one. It's black and I like how it covers everything up.

• Global Moderator

Hey @juggernautofwar, welcome !

Anything you should know as a fairly new rider? Nothing specific, maybe not to underestimate the bike. It is by some considered as a beginners bike, but I don't agree. It can get you in a lot of trouble really fast. I guess what I am trying to say is that using common sense while riding is essential.

Also, consider investing in some quality riding gear.

• Global Moderator

Ill agree with @guru here... good riding gear is essential, and it's a good bike overall but rather unforgiving if you use a bit too much of your right wrist. My first week i went 9 oclock to 1130 a few times without meaning to.

Also red fz is the best gratz on getting one... I have the yoshi exhaust and i love it. Good way to supplement the nonexistant horn on our bikes scaring old ladies and the such

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

JuggernautOfWar

Yeah I'm a pretty cautious rider, if anything I'm too cautious. I know the bike has a lot of power down low, so I baby the throttle and keep everything in moderation. Still fairly new after all, I don't want to overestimate my abilities.

I have some really great all weather waterproof Alpinestar gloves and some decent waterproof riding shoes, but I'm lacking a good riding jacket and pants. What do you guys recommend? I'm going to be riding in rain a lot, and also in the summer, so I need versatile clothing options, and I do need to be somewhat mindful of my spending.

2015 Red FZ-07

• Global Moderator

ive got the Astars viper air jacket and i love it for a summer/mesh jacket
It wasnt all that expensive on sale from revzilla

Yeah I'm a pretty cautious rider, if anything I'm too cautious. I know the bike has a lot of power down low, so I baby the throttle and keep everything in moderation. Still fairly new after all, I don't want to overestimate my abilities. 
I have some really great all weather waterproof Alpinestar gloves and some decent waterproof riding shoes, but I'm lacking a good riding jacket and pants. What do you guys recommend? I'm going to be riding in rain a lot, and also in the summer, so I need versatile clothing options, and I do need to be somewhat mindful of my spending.
This is what I bought for riding in the rain and they can't be beat. They're light like paper, they breath and keep you super dry. This Frogg Togg jacket is made specifically for motorcycle riding. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0068FX16Q?keywords=frogg%20toggs%20motorcycle%20rain%20gear&qid=1449666634&ref_=sr_1_3&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006IOMPMS?keywords=frogg%20toggs%20motorcycle%20rain%20gear&qid=1449666829&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Beemer

JuggernautOfWar

Beemer, those don't really offer any physical protection though right? Just water and wind proof?

2015 Red FZ-07

• Global Moderator
Beemer, those don't really offer any physical protection though right? Just water and wind proof?
Correct

FroggToggs go over your regular gear
so whatever armor you're wearing.... is all youve got

JuggernautOfWar
Correct 
FroggToggs go over your regular gear
so whatever armor you're wearing.... is all youve got
What do you recommend for good jacket and pants that have armor? What I've got now really sucks. 

2015 Red FZ-07

Archived