The MT-07 Forum

Stock low beam sucks!

conejo

I accidentally worked late last night, and had to ride home in the dark. Didn't mean to, I gave notice last week and have a bad case of short-timers but I had my face stuck in some code and was in the flow and didn't realize it was after 7. 

I was almost home, less than a mile from the house, going about 45 and had to ride with the low-beam on because there were cars a couple hundred yards in front of me. I was looking at the beam pattern and light throw down the road and thinking that I'm pretty much outdriving the light. And sure enough out of the darkness, dead straight ahead, without any time to react, saw something in the road. No time to maneuver around it, just had to eat it and hope for the best. Had just enough time to relax my elbows and hover on the pegs before I hit it. Thankfully it was a foam couch cushion, so the bike went right over it. I was lucky.

LED bulb from Cyclops is on the way. 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
pineappleunderthesea

I don't typically drive at night either. Too many deer where I live. But I thought that brighter bulbs don't illuminate further, they illuminate the same stock area brighter. Or am I thinking of projector car headlamps vs a motorcycle lamp...?

I've changed my H4 at the middle of the season during the past year (2014).
Because of the same reason...
I've mounted a Philips X-treme Vision.
This lamp have a more long-throw beam, even in the low beam position.
More brighter, also, and the K is a little more than 4000.
I don't like the white/blue lights (cold lights) and the X-treme Vision is perfect, for me.

www.MT-Series.it
Yamaha Official MT-Series Club

• Premium Member

Stock headlight is awesome :), even better than most Harleys... Maybe its because I been on 3rd shift for last 13 yrs :D

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Good choice, not many out there putting out 3800 lumens, I like mine a lot. It took me close to ten minutes to adjust mine just right but I'm a picky sob. When I got done I noticed that from 25 ft. away from my garage door with the brights on and pointing straight & level  that when I used them set up like that in actual riding the light from the high beam lit everything up nicely far ahead (no one flashes me) and the low beam was pointing down just enough to be out of peep's eyes and lighting up the road far enough ahead so that you have less a chance of out driving (riding) them, unlike the stock bulb. The angles between the low/high beam on the Cyclops bulb are closer together so the low beam shines further out without the high being way up in the air over the road when you switch to it.

Beemer

I don't typically drive at night either. Too many deer where I live. But I thought that brighter bulbs don't illuminate further, they illuminate the same stock area brighter. Or am I thinking of projector car headlamps vs a motorcycle lamp...?
I think that's true what you're saying, the Cyclops just makes the same area brighter. I have a Cyclops and it really brightens things up so what was once dark and hard to see or make out at 50/100 meters with that yellowish light from the stock bulb is now more visible. I don't strain to see like I used to. They truly do help a lot.

Beemer

• Premium Member
Proper alignment makes a world of difference.
Check the alignment first.  My headlight was pointed down WAY too low from the factory.  That made a world of difference, then I upgraded to an OSRAM Night Racer 110 bulb, and it was $20 well spent.  The headlight now kicks butt!  

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member

Its not uncommon for this to be upgraded. The stock bulb like many cars is garbage. The yellow hue of the stock bulb blends in too well during the day. I do little to no night driving so I had to replace mine.

Stock headlight is awesome :), even better than most Harleys... Maybe its because I been on 3rd shift for last 13 yrs :D
LOL! 

The stock headlights on my jeep were useless as well. I've seen brighter lanterns. Replaced them with KC LED headlights, those things are amazing. I put LED bulbs in my Toyota FJ a year before I traded it, they had a little more throw, but a bunch more fill. And I love the clean white hue. I'm figuring this bulb will be about the same.

Thanks everyone for letting me vent, I was kind of rattled after that close call. 

• Premium Member
...I gave notice last week and have a bad case of short-timers but I had my face stuck in some code and was in the flow and didn't realize it was after 7. 

Just curious -- what do you do? (development lead/architect here -- Windows/web/etc -- .NET primarily)

• Premium Member

Generally for the best and most consistent spread its: Projectors = HID / Halogen Stock (non projector) housing = LED. The LED tends to break up through the projector lens and the spread of it suffers. Although HIDs work in our stock housing as well. We have to keep in mind that the LED gets hot (even with its built-in fan) and output light suffers as a result when its in a tight containment of the projector housing.

Hey @panzer716, did you ever get someone to try just the hid kit from retrofit source? Seemed like another good option, also kinda mad i missed their BF sale -_-

The headlight assembly @higdonion has on their site actually looks really awesome. 6200 lumens! I don't think it's street legal.. anywhere, but I might still rock it. 
http://higdonion.com/products/lbs-lights
I'm running the flood only aimed low for low beam and both for highs.  I have put turn signals on there for people  who want to be  rebels. lol

Do projector retrofit and your output will look like this: 
qWDINEz.jpg

Thant's what I did and I love mine.
I considered HIDs, but the install is such a pita. And it only gets worse trying to find a way to keep it clean and tidy. But I must say, the output is NICE and SHARP.

If I'm not happy with the LED bulb, then I might do more research on it though. We'll see.

...I gave notice last week and have a bad case of short-timers but I had my face stuck in some code and was in the flow and didn't realize it was after 7. 
Just curious -- what do you do? (development lead/architect here -- Windows/web/etc -- .NET primarily)
Yup, same here. Last couple years has been .NET, MVC, Angular, and NServiceBus. New gig is going to be a lot of cross platform stuff, so I won't be so focused on .NET stack, going to learn some new stuff :-)

AlbatrossCafe
Check the alignment first.  My headlight was pointed down WAY too low from the factory.  That made a world of difference, then I upgraded to an OSRAM Night Racer 110 bulb, and it was $20 well spent.  The headlight now kicks butt!
Does this bulb have the standard "low-beam points down" and "high-beam points up" functionality? I am not really a fan of the cyclops in how the angle of it doesn't change in high-beam vs low-beam 

• Premium Member
Does this bulb have the standard "low-beam points down" and "high-beam points up" functionality? I am not really a fan of the cyclops in how the angle of it doesn't change in high-beam vs low-beam
Yes. It's the normal H4 behavior, but whiter and much brighter. 

Why can't left turners see us?

pineappleunderthesea

The issue with these bulbs is that they burn out within a few hundred hours. I wish they had a custom fit LED solution with a proper hear sink (similar to the aftermarket round headlights, the entire enclosure is a giant heat sink).

• Premium Member

Clicked on the fancy looking Cyclops that is promoted here. Oh boy! More glorious mail!

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

The issue with these bulbs is that they burn out within a few hundred hours. I wish they had a custom fit LED solution with a proper hear sink (similar to the aftermarket round headlights, the entire enclosure is a giant heat sink).
My first Philips X-treme Vision has lasted for 16k km (about 10k miles). At this time I have the second bulb, and I hope that this can last at least the same mileage.
The bulbs I've bought are the ones for motorbike use, not for cars.  :)

www.MT-Series.it
Yamaha Official MT-Series Club

Proper alignment makes a world of difference.
Mine was too low as well but when I adjusted it up to where it needed to be it made my high beam way too high. I'm sure being a brighter bulb helps a tad. Did the box it came in say what the light range was or anything other than what it did in the link? 

110% More Light

20% Whiter Light

35m More Distance

50% Longer Life

It's states this but compared to what? Have any pics of it in action at night?
I saw how one person said there was no difference in the angle between the low & high beam on the Cyclops but it isn't that way with mine. there is a small difference and it's almost perfect IMO. My highs point straight out so they light everything up far asway but still not in peoples eyes and the low beam trikes the road but yet still lights it up further out than the stock bulb would.

Beemer

Archived