conejo

Stock low beam sucks!

conejo
I accidentally worked late last night, and had to ride home in the dark. Didn't mean to, I gave notice last week and have a bad case of short-timers but I had my face stuck in some code and was in the flow and didn't realize it was after 7. 

I was almost home, less than a mile from the house, going about 45 and had to ride with the low-beam on because there were cars a couple hundred yards in front of me. I was looking at the beam pattern and light throw down the road and thinking that I'm pretty much outdriving the light. And sure enough out of the darkness, dead straight ahead, without any time to react, saw something in the road. No time to maneuver around it, just had to eat it and hope for the best. Had just enough time to relax my elbows and hover on the pegs before I hit it. Thankfully it was a foam couch cushion, so the bike went right over it. I was lucky.

LED bulb from Cyclops is on the way. 

• Like 1

pineappleunderthesea
I don't typically drive at night either. Too many deer where I live. But I thought that brighter bulbs don't illuminate further, they illuminate the same stock area brighter. Or am I thinking of projector car headlamps vs a motorcycle lamp...?

cndnmax
Proper alignment makes a world of difference.
  • Like 2

etorty
I've changed my H4 at the middle of the season during the past year (2014).
Because of the same reason...
I've mounted a Philips X-treme Vision.
This lamp have a more long-throw beam, even in the low beam position.
More brighter, also, and the K is a little more than 4000.
I don't like the white/blue lights (cold lights) and the X-treme Vision is perfect, for me.

norcal616
Stock headlight is awesome :), even better than most Harleys... Maybe its because I been on 3rd shift for last 13 yrs :D
  • Like 1

Beemer
Good choice, not many out there putting out 3800 lumens, I like mine a lot. It took me close to ten minutes to adjust mine just right but I'm a picky sob. When I got done I noticed that from 25 ft. away from my garage door with the brights on and pointing straight & level  that when I used them set up like that in actual riding the light from the high beam lit everything up nicely far ahead (no one flashes me) and the low beam was pointing down just enough to be out of peep's eyes and lighting up the road far enough ahead so that you have less a chance of out driving (riding) them, unlike the stock bulb. The angles between the low/high beam on the Cyclops bulb are closer together so the low beam shines further out without the high being way up in the air over the road when you switch to it.

Beemer
I don't typically drive at night either. Too many deer where I live. But I thought that brighter bulbs don't illuminate further, they illuminate the same stock area brighter. Or am I thinking of projector car headlamps vs a motorcycle lamp...?
I think that's true what you're saying, the Cyclops just makes the same area brighter. I have a Cyclops and it really brightens things up so what was once dark and hard to see or make out at 50/100 meters with that yellowish light from the stock bulb is now more visible. I don't strain to see like I used to. They truly do help a lot.

rowdy
Proper alignment makes a world of difference.
Check the alignment first.  My headlight was pointed down WAY too low from the factory.  That made a world of difference, then I upgraded to an OSRAM Night Racer 110 bulb, and it was $20 well spent.  The headlight now kicks butt!  
  • Like 1

GAZ
Its not uncommon for this to be upgraded. The stock bulb like many cars is garbage. The yellow hue of the stock bulb blends in too well during the day. I do little to no night driving so I had to replace mine.

conejo
Stock headlight is awesome :), even better than most Harleys... Maybe its because I been on 3rd shift for last 13 yrs :D
LOL! 

The stock headlights on my jeep were useless as well. I've seen brighter lanterns. Replaced them with KC LED headlights, those things are amazing. I put LED bulbs in my Toyota FJ a year before I traded it, they had a little more throw, but a bunch more fill. And I love the clean white hue. I'm figuring this bulb will be about the same.

Thanks everyone for letting me vent, I was kind of rattled after that close call. 

so1102
...I gave notice last week and have a bad case of short-timers but I had my face stuck in some code and was in the flow and didn't realize it was after 7. 

Just curious -- what do you do? (development lead/architect here -- Windows/web/etc -- .NET primarily)

Allan
Do projector retrofit and your output will look like this:

qWDINEz.jpg

Thant's what I did and I love mine.

GAZ
Generally for the best and most consistent spread its: Projectors = HID / Halogen Stock (non projector) housing = LED. The LED tends to break up through the projector lens and the spread of it suffers. Although HIDs work in our stock housing as well. We have to keep in mind that the LED gets hot (even with its built-in fan) and output light suffers as a result when its in a tight containment of the projector housing.

yamobethere
Hey @panzer716, did you ever get someone to try just the hid kit from retrofit source? Seemed like another good option, also kinda mad i missed their BF sale -_-