The MT-07 Forum

Repairing a friends bike, Fork Tubes

mtnandrew

Repairing a buddies bike, he took a spill into a sign at going fairly fast. He is doing good but the bike is not. The front fork tubes have sheared into 2 pieces. 

I am trying to find just the fork tubes that would work with the bike. All of the internals are doing fine just a little bend in the spring. 

Thanks for the help in advance, if I am using incorrect terminology let me know. Thanks.

• Premium Member

Check the dealer as the tubes sell for $120.57 which is not a bad price at all.

I would also check the triple tree and frame as well. No reason to spend the money if the frame is bent.

Terry

Check the dealer as the tubes sell for $120.57 which is not a bad price at all. 
I would also check the triple tree and frame as well. No reason to spend the money if the frame is bent.

Terry
Thanks Terry, you are right. 
I am going to look up how to check how to do that now. From what I can see at the moment is that the fork tubes took the majority of the impact and completely sheared at the triple frame. I noticed that the lower triple frame had a minute amount of change(seems to be a little bit compressed on the bottom) but the structural integrity seems to be intact. 

the triples are VERY likely toast. On ebay you can get 41mm tubes for 120/pair from HK/China. I've used them and they were very nicely made.

The last similarly crashed forks I worked on (EX650) actually had the fork lower deformed at the brake mount so the tube wouldn't actually slide properly. You could see it down the bore if you tilted it in the light, just so.

If your friend is going to ride at such a clip, maybe he would like to upgrade to some properly damped forks? :)

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I would be checking a LOT more than the forks. To shear fork tube would have put immense loads on almost everything between the contact points . This bike does not have a strongly designed frame and if the wheel was in the line of load it is very probably not well either. CHECK EVERYTHING.
The engine is a stressed member as well, so at the very least, check the front engine mounts on the engine ( the aluminium bolt hole section protrudiung out from the front of the engine). Particularly parallel to the front of the engine.
If the forks were substantially damaged the brake lines may also have been strained at the swages or bolts.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Archived