The MT-07 Forum

GLOVES!!! COLD WEATHER ouch

fastfredyb

My hands just hurt!!! I ride in about 35 degree weather for about 45 minutes and my hands just hurt. I wear glove liners and gloves I bought from cycle gear but that doesn't help much.   What gloves do you recommend?  I'm warm everywhere else except my hands!!

• Premium Member

Same here.... i stoppped 2 times as i could feel my hands at all. Im buying the sedici heated floves from cycle gear. I tried them on and wow!!!!! Worth the 150 bucks

Yesterday I drove into work with the temperature at 35F. My hands were cold when I got to work. Last night my hand guards came in and I installed them. Today I drove into work with it around 33-35F and by the time I got into work only the finger tips were starting to get cold. So that was a big help. I do have some nice heated gloves I will use when it gets colder.

pineappleunderthesea

I have a few pairs of winter riding gloves, and none of them are good down to the mid 30s unless you have hand guards, and then that helps somewhat. I've started taking a look at rechargeable heated gloves (they come with their own little battery, good for several hours, so something like the Fly racing ingnitor gloves). Haven't pulled the trigger yet. I don't want to mess with wires and such, so a glove with its own battery is a better option for me.

I ware those claw gloves were two fingers sit together they do make a difference,
you cant beat heated stuff and hand guards but claw gloves and elephants ears
work well though they don't look good.

Been meaning to create a review thread on my hand gaurd I road in 27 degree weather for 3 hrs the other week and couldn't hear it linger than 30 minutes at a time on my fingers. I bought barkbusters Storm hand gaurd universal kit and they make a huge difference I road back and only stopped for Gass and warm my hands up a bit once glove liners warm gloves and hand gaurd and your good to go if it's still cold get some heat factory hest packs and put them in the gloves with glove liners that are made for them and you won't have an issue with your hands being cold for up to 2 hrs then you may need to stop and warm them up.

• Premium Member

I'm just agreeing with what many have already said.
I've tried a few pairs of winter gloves while riding in the 30s for 45-60 minutes. I think riding with gloves alone won't suffice. Hand guards or heated grips/gloves will most likely be your best bet.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

Shoot, I'm thinking about those muffs that go over your levers, but you need some kind of hand/lever guard to keep them from collapsing at 70+MPH I assume.

SigSide.jpg

I have a pair of Elephants ears / muffs, they work and don't collapse but are
a bit strange to use at first, they grip your wrist and if you remove your
hand from the bars it can be awkward to get it back on the move but they keep
your hands warm.

Thanks guys, I never thought of rechargeable gloves. I agree with a lot of you that gloves alone might not do the trick . I have elephant ears, . I'm not too handy sometimes and would hate to mess up my bike somehow by adding heated grips. But I hope these work.

I've just ordered 2 sets or Gerbing heated gloves. I wanna see both before I decide which ones I want and send the other ones back. One set is their XRS short ones and the others are XR Hybrid. They both have a life time guarantee on the heating elements.
They can both be wired to the bike or the XR Hybrids have pockets to fit their battery packs.
I really did like the look of the Keis X800i's but I went to a shop to see them and the guy said that they had a lot back with problems. The rest of the Keis stuff is good though so I ordered some of their heated soles lol  8-)

• Premium Member

I got a pair of mega cheap "firstgear" insulated gloves last year thinking I'd be happy if they lasted a couple months. They're actually holding up well, but they're not that great below the 40s.

I usually end up shoving my hands in the motor area whenever I'm at a stop, and it takes me a good half hour before I can sign my name or write after I get to work. I need to be less frugal and buy something decent.

Everything went braap.

fooschnickens
Just ordered a set of these http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-raiden-alcan-gloves 

Don't plan on riding more than a few miles at a time when it is down in the 30's (morning commute), and by the afternoon it's back in the 60's anyway.  Viva la Arizona!
I was torn between those and the Patrol gloves, but I liked the Patrol's flexibility a bit better. The armor they used in the Raidens is beefy to be sure, but kinda made it difficult to manipulate the controls. That and I'm a whore for reflective material because you can never be too visible :P 
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-patrol-waterproof-gloves

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

I wear Held gloves year round. I have 2 sets one for summer (air stream), 1 for winter/rain (Rain cloud) They are only insulated on the top side of the hand but Ive ridden in temps down to 17 deg with them with warm hands. I have not been on long ride however. I would safely say they are good for extended riding at 40+ deg. Anything colder than that i would get the gloves that are insulated on both sides or heated grips.

Check out video reviews on revzilla as Anthony does a good job of explaining the details of all their gloves. Sizing is consistent between summer and winter gloves as well.

I also get Held gloves sent to me from family in Germany where they are about 35-40% cheaper. 130 euro for the Rain cloud so i saved about 80 bucks.

• Premium Member
Just ordered a set of these http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-raiden-alcan-gloves 

Don't plan on riding more than a few miles at a time when it is down in the 30's (morning commute), and by the afternoon it's back in the 60's anyway.  Viva la Arizona!
I was torn between those and the Patrol gloves, but I liked the Patrol's flexibility a bit better. The armor they used in the Raidens is beefy to be sure, but kinda made it difficult to manipulate the controls. That and I'm a whore for reflective material because you can never be too visible :P 

Yeah these are pretty bulky but I am sure I'll get used to them once they break in better like my other Icon gloves.  I went for the Batman-esque look of them rather than visibility :)  My jacket and helmet are white, so I should be plenty visible. 

fooschnickens

Yeah these are pretty bulky but I am sure I'll get used to them once they break in better like my other Icon gloves.  I went for the Batman-esque look of them rather than visibility :)  My jacket and helmet are white, so I should be plenty visible.
Haha true that. I got some reflective vinyl remnants from a buddy of mine that does vehicle wraps, trying to think of a good scheme to put some strips on my helmet since it matches the gunmetal color almost exactly! 

• Premium Member

Well broke down and got the sedicis hot wired gloves from cycle gear. Went out last night around 11pm and wowzers!!!i started to get really hot in the higher setting so i turned it down to low and medium. Id say its worth the 150

fooschnickens
Well broke down and got the sedicis hot wired gloves from cycle gear. Went out last night around 11pm and wowzers!!!i started to get really hot in the higher setting so i turned it down to low and medium. Id say its worth the 150
Yeah, they definitely do their job. Be careful you don't sweat too much, especially if you get a heated vest/jacket. Sweat is the second biggest enemy during cold weather. 

• Premium Member

I have a set of these that I've commuted with in the upper 20s low 30s.  My commute is only about a half hour long, and for that they worked great.

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member
Yeah, they definitely do their job. Be careful you don't sweat too much, especially if you get a heated vest/jacket. Sweat is the second biggest enemy during cold weather.

Will do!! Wasn't sweating but was getting there....thanks

Archived