The MT-07 Forum

Newbie, Looking for info on the FZ-07

wynpro

Hello to all,
I have been looking at the FZ's 09 & O7's. I haven't purchased yet so I am doing my research first. I currently ride an FJR1300 and a Honda XR650L dual sport. I think one of these will fit in between the two.
Dave

AlbatrossCafe

I currently ride my dad's 2008 XR650L and 2013 Yamaha XT250 from time to time, and have a 2015 FZ-07. I am coming from a 2014 Yamaha Raider (1854cc V-twin cruiser) and previously a 2005 CBR 600 F4i. I have significant experience with the above bikes but have at least test-ridden quite a bit more.

Both the FZ-09 and FZ-07 are going to be somewhere in between the 650 and the FJR. The FZ-09 is going to feel about as powerful/more powerful than the FJR engine-wise, but the 07 will be lacking in that sense. In terms of handling, both FZ's IMHO feel way lighter than the XR650. They are super light and nimble, especially at lower speeds. I would compare the FZ-07 lower speed handling to riding my dad's 250 dual sport. It is that light.

What (more specifically) would you like to know?

The 09 will bite back a lot harder than the -07. The '07 suspension is just dire and you're out ~$1000 to fix front and rear. The 09 you can fix for about $600 (ZX6/ZX10 shock option, fork mods). I think the '07 is a more well-rounded platform whereas the 09 is a bit of a sharper tool and requires a little more 'commitment'.

You don't say what your intended usage is but I'm guessing 3-4hr, pavement-based fun, and curve scratching. Either will do nicely.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Thrills over economy??? All I can say is test ride, test ride, test ride. IMO the FZ-07 is the best bang 'for the buck' but the 09 is surely the best bang. The 07 is a fun bike while it still can be economical if you stay out of the throttle, sort of like your XR650L. Has some power, some grunt, quick steering, wheelies easy in 1st/2nd gear. Maybe not quite a hooligan bike but damn close, the engine is really sweet like all the magazines say and it's fun! If you're a squirrel wanting to get a big nut go for the bigger nut, the 09.

Beemer

Archived