The MT-07 Forum

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

raceblue

Reading 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance' has inspired to do my own maintenance on my bike.

I was going to take my bike to the dealer for maintenance, but after reading this book I decided to spend the money on a few tools and do the service myself. I adjusted the chain, oiled the chain, and changed the oil. It was surprisingly easy. I got a copy of the service manual from eBay and also got a free copy from someone on the MT07 forum. I read the manual then watched a few YouTube videos and got a lot of advise from this forum. I'm proud that I was able to work on my bike myself.

Has anyone else been inspired in more ways than one by reading this great book?

But wait, what's Quality?
No kidding! Ashamed to admit I zoned out a few times reading his "quality" explanations.  I'll have to read it a few more times to figure it all out.  But, I'm on board with his thoughts on technology VS antitechnology.  Doing your own maintenance and repairs not only saves you money, but is also empowering, cathartic and satisfying.  It pays to persevere with difficult repairs, because you learn things that can be applied to other issues later.  This book was written before all the new computer controlled systems, but that's no reason to give up.  With the computer controlled systems came computer access to the Internet, and the instant wealth of information to help sort things out. 
If you haven't read the book... Enjoy!  Here's a Guide.

“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
— Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values)

• Premium Member

I've read it twice. One of my favorite books of all time. Now I'm inspired to read it again (I still have a copy sitting around here somewhere), If I don't get stuck in a gumption trap. :)

Why can't left turners see us?

I'm gonna buy that book!

I love books like that.....I rebuilt a '70 Volkswagen Van (nose to tailpipe) with "The Idiots Guide to Volkswagens). (Best VW book ever!)

I'm all for the "do it yourself mentality".....

I'm gonna buy that book! 
I love books like that.....I rebuilt a '70 Volkswagen Van (nose to tailpipe) with "The Idiots Guide to Volkswagens). (Best VW book ever!)

I'm all for the "do it yourself mentality".....

I still have my idiot's guide to Volkswagon, by the late John Muir. He was a cool dude and that was the very first idiot guide book. That book kept my first car going far longer than it should have.

Archived