The MT-07 Forum

Auxiliary Lighting, lower fork mounted, add'tl driving light

jeffkisthename

I've looked into it, was looking at some nice Denali micro's for my forks but didn't buy any. Our manual said it can handle 50 extra watts.
@beemer - if someone wants to use more than 50 extra watts, because I already have and use for the winter the handle bars heated grip, and also planning on getting a pair or two of the Denali lights, also some heated rain gear, would it be an option to change from the heavy stock battery to a lighter lithium Palmer battery, but a one with more wattage than the original stock battery, that way I could get more watts and also the reduction in weight.....!!! Would that work ?
would anybody care to explain.
That's a very good question and endeavor but I don't know about such things. I would be worried that it would have an affect on other things and start blowing fuses and melting wires. I believe you should consult an expert on that, I can only get your bike fried or something. Sorry I couldn't help.

Beemer

• Premium Member

@beemer - if someone wants to use more than 50 extra watts, because I already have and use for the winter the handle bars heated grip, and also planning on getting a pair or two of the Denali lights, also some heated rain gear, would it be an option to change from the heavy stock battery to a lighter lithium Palmer battery, but a one with more wattage than the original stock battery, that way I could get more watts and also the reduction in weight.....!!! Would that work ?
would anybody care to explain.
That's a very good question and endeavor but I don't know about such things. I would be worried that it would have an affect on other things and start blowing fuses and melting wires. I believe you should consult an expert on that, I can only get your bike fried or something. Sorry I couldn't help.

Not a problem, maybe I should put this question on the forum and see if anyone would come up with a good answer, when it comes to electrical stuff, I'd rather hear people's opinion before I act like a mad scientist.
Thank you anyway.

• Global Moderator

I am by no means an expert but I think the wattage limit is an alternator thing and not the battery. You need enough power to run everything and charge the battery. I suspect that if you have too much power demand you will have trouble keeping the battery charged. That is my $0.02 anyway.

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
I am by no means an expert but I think the wattage limit is an alternator thing and not the battery. You need enough power to run everything and charge the battery. I suspect that if you have too much power demand you will have trouble keeping the battery charged. That is my $0.02 anyway.
Correct, so we'd need to upgrade the stator to use more power. Just like a car, where a high powered alternator would be needed to run more electrical load.

SigSide.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I added some lights over the winter - I ride a lot of the back roads outside of Denver and wanted a bit more light. I got them off Amazon, wiring relay, handle bar switch too. Total cost was around $45

IMG_1289_zpsricfv2mq.jpg

IMG_1286_zpsizlrvi2j.jpg

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
I added some lights over the winter - I ride a lot of the back roads outside of Denver and wanted a bit more light. I got them off Amazon, handle bar switch too. Total cost was around $45 
IMG_1289_zpsricfv2mq.jpg

IMG_1286_zpsizlrvi2j.jpg
That's nice. Got more info on them?

SigSide.jpg

The lights are these: http://www.amazon.com/Ourbest-Offroad-Bicycle-Motorcycle-wrangler/dp/B00VL4H78W?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00
There are tons of options for switches as well. You can do a simple rocker switch if you like too.

I mounted them to the bolts that hold the headlight plastic. Just had to get longer bolts and a couple of spacers to clear the front turn signals, as I put on clear flush mounts.

The lights of course are LED and pull a minimal amount of voltage, but I still just wired it to a relay and the battery to pull directly from it. They are wired to the ignition as well, so they turn off when the bike isn't turn off and key removed

Archived